Will driving mustang in the snow lower its life span? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Minnesota
Will driving mustang in the snow lower its life span?

I stored my mustang this winter but I already miss it and its only been like 2 weeks.

Also I feel Its lame living up here and not being able to drive for 4 months of the year! If I was gone tomorrow it would all be a waste!!

So if I keep it garaged and drive daily but rinse it off weekly, will my mustang still last the next 50 years?

I love this car it's my dream car and want to drive it and have it even when im like 50 years old. I'm 25 atm.

So if I keep taking good care of it will it be OK if drive in the snow and wash weekly? Im scared in 10 years the underside will be rusted and crumbling.

Btw I do have snow tires and it drives great in the snow.

Here's a pic of my car, its all I got in life

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GW2 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Road Trip!

BTW I'm planning to tint the fog lights, how ya think that will look?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I always thought the reason they garage the car is because they dont want to deal with rinse offs and such. but your biggest worry is the salt on the roads. so make sure that gets cleaned off as often as you can. Look into undercoating it. Not with cheap rubber stuff, ive heard that salt gets stuck in it and does even more damage. Maybe like, a truck bedding to coat the bottom. exhaust and other parts are replaceable. just keep the body and engine safe. winter is generally tougher on vehicles, but mustangs are sill tough. Just give it a minute to warm up when its really cold. the worst part of that is just the parts going from really cold to really hot. you dont want to drive it hard when the engine is cold. Look up some more stuff on general "winterizing" a vehicle. Check what oil to use for the winter, possibly 5w20, but 5w30 might be fine. Again, coldest morning for me in the year is in the 30s.
that being said, hopefully someone with more winter experience will chime in. I live in florida. :/

Oh and its a gt, right? Picked a good car to hold for a lot of years. take care of it, and it will take care of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I drove my 2006 year round here in SE Michigan. Put 203,000 miles on it before selling it in June 2012 and ordering the 2013. Drove through a lot of snow and ice storms. Didn't seem to shorten the life of the car at all. The new owner is still driving it and puts a lot of miles on it in the summer. He tends not to drive it in the winter.

I didn't do any undercoating or anything to the car. Every time it was up on a lift everyone was surprised at how clean and rust free the underside was still
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

See? mustangs are a beast. Any advice for him on winterizing?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW2 Mustang View Post
I stored my mustang this winter but I already miss it and its only been like 2 weeks.

Also I feel Its lame living up here and not being able to drive for 4 months of the year! If I was gone tomorrow it would all be a waste!!

So if I keep it garaged and drive daily but rinse it off weekly, will my mustang still last the next 50 years?

I love this car it's my dream car and want to drive it and have it even when im like 50 years old. I'm 25 atm.

So if I keep taking good care of it will it be OK if drive in the snow and wash weekly? Im scared in 10 years the underside will be rusted and crumbling.

Btw I do have snow tires and it drives great in the snow.

Here's a pic of my car, its all I got in life

My advice is, if you want it to last, park it. Not only is salt a concern, but you are increasing your chances of getting in an accident. Your car will easily last until you are 50 if you take good care of it. I am 50, had my '79 since I was 27. Hardly gets used, but it has lasted. As you get older, you will probably start acquiring additional vehicles which will make it easier to keep the Mustang looking good. You may be sorry years down the road that you did take it out in the salt now. I'll make you a deal. If our Packers beat your Vikings this weekend, park it. If you guys win, drive it all you want!

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
its a car, drive it! Unless you already have a 4x4 truck or a second vehicle that is more ideal in the snow I would not worry about it. Its not like there 100k+ cars its not a ferarri. Sure it is a nice car but like you said pretty lame having to store it for half the year. Just drive your car its not going to disintegrate.
Besides winter driving is half the fun of owning a rwd car.

#driftseason

If you have to store your vehicle for half the year.. you bought the wrong vehicle. Look into Subary wrx sti's and Mitsubishi Evo's or 4x4 trucks, Jeep str8's , audis, something awd or 4x4.
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I'll always drive my Mustang year-round. IMO, it's the Boss 302, Cobra, GT500, etc. or some other type of "special's" that can benefit from parking them. By that, I mean these cars have some or a little collector value and maybe they should be stored in the winter months to preserve that value. I'd like to have a beater to drive on the nasty days, like where it snows 6"+. Honestly though, it's not the snow that's bad, it's the roadsalt they throw down to help melt the roads. I try to stop by a car wash and manually spray mine off almost daily if it's wet and a bunch of salt on the roads. It makes me feel better anyways lol.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Thanks for the encouragement guys I shall drive it!

And no lol I just don't like wrx or evos at all, not a fan of 4x4s or jeeps either, had an audii and it was a PAIN. PART AFTER PART BROKE AND THEY WERE ALL EXPENSIVE

Mustang + snow tires ftw!

Have owned 3 mustangs in my life and none of them gave me any trouble. The other 2 mustangs I had were much older and had many more miles than my audii. Theres a reason why those luxury brand cars get super cheap after a few years and no more factory warranty... So much for German engineering.

You guys hear about how some BMW cars these days don't even have an oil dip stick? Gotta rely on computer to tell u if its low, and if that system goes out I guess your screwd.

Mine was an audii a4, it was cool but expensive to maintain. Thought of getting a TT but I've met so many girls in TTs who were just really stuck up and nasty people it just makes me feel sick every time I see a TT

I do like the classy feeling of rolling in a clean audii though, but screw vanity.

Btw reverse on that car was where first gear usually is
.. Maybe you can imagine how annoying that can be!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys I shall drive it!

And no lol I just don't like wrx or evos at all, not a fan of 4x4s or jeeps either, had an audii and it was a PAIN. PART AFTER PART BROKE AND THEY WERE ALL EXPENSIVE

Mustang + snow tires ftw!

Have owned 3 mustangs in my life and none of them gave me any trouble. The other 2 mustangs I had were much older and had many more miles than my audii. Theres a reason why those luxury brand cars get super cheap after a few years and no more factory warranty... So much for German engineering.

You guys hear about how some BMW cars these days don't even have an oil dip stick? Gotta rely on computer to tell u if its low, and if that system goes out I guess your screwd.

Mine was an audii a4, it was cool but expensive to maintain. Thought of getting a TT but I've met so many girls in TTs who were just really stuck up and nasty people it just makes me feel sick every time I see a TT

I do like the classy feeling of rolling in a clean audii though, but screw vanity.

Btw reverse on that car was where first gear usually is
.. Maybe you can imagine how annoying that can be!
'Merica.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I drove my 2006 year round here in SE Michigan. Put 203,000 miles on it before selling it in June 2012 and ordering the 2013. Drove through a lot of snow and ice storms. Didn't seem to shorten the life of the car at all. The new owner is still driving it and puts a lot of miles on it in the summer. He tends not to drive it in the winter.

I didn't do any undercoating or anything to the car. Every time it was up on a lift everyone was surprised at how clean and rust free the underside was still
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
See? mustangs are a beast. Any advice for him on winterizing?
I didn't do anything special really. Parked it in the garage each night, took it to the touchless spray wash with underbody spray each weekend.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Good thread! Just purchasing my car, I really didn't want to park it either. No I know there are others like me lol
medusasdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Road Trip!

IM DRIVING IT OMG IM DRIVING IT!!!!

how ya like my winter wheels?? sotckers on good year snow tires LOL - JELLY???

driving my dads old explorer really refreshed my love for my stang. it feels like a brand new car and i LOVE IT SO MUCH - im happy with everything about it!! i even am glad its an automatic, i got auto on purpose and LOVE IT (been driving manual since age 16, im 25 now.)
Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
IM DRIVING IT OMG IM DRIVING IT!!!!

how ya like my winter wheels?? sotckers on good year snow tires LOL - JELLY???

driving my dads old explorer really refreshed my love for my stang. it feels like a brand new car and i LOVE IT SO MUCH - im happy with everything about it!! i even am glad its an automatic, i got auto on purpose and LOVE IT (been driving manual since age 16, im 25 now.)

Nice! I got mine on too, but I thought the snow tires were just too damn expensive lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416759635.284737.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	170146
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They're meant to be driven. I also had "the one" 3 times now as far as a car I thought I'd keep forever. They are all sold lol.

Mustangs also make suprisingly capable winter cars, 150lbs in the trunk, snow tires or real good all seasons and dont' drive like a ******.

Most important thing to do in the winter is RELIGIOUSLY go through a car wash with a full undercarriage spray every week and garage the car at night so it doesn't get iced over every morning if you have access to a garage which you do.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I lived in Alaska a few years. You'd literally would have to stick your car into an outlet to keep the oil from freezing. Just watch out for salt. That's your only worry. -20 degrees and lower I recommend letting your car run a little longer than usual. Don't blast your heat all the way. Wait until your car warms up a bit. Then slowly turn on heat. I recommend waiting outdoors for it to warm up. Also if it's an automatic and you live in a state where every year guarantees snow. Then you should invest in an auto start.
mooseruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can auto start a stick too, just is hiarous to watch videos of ppl who forget to leave it in neutral and hit auto start... Also leaving it in neutral means that if your e-brake cable goes...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You can auto start a stick too, just is hiarous to watch videos of ppl who forget to leave it in neutral and hit auto start... Also leaving it in neutral means that if your e-brake cable goes...

I never knew that, always heard you couldn't get one for the Manuals.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

A lot of shops won't install them because they've head to deal with dip****s who forget to leave the car in neutral and hit auto start and then the car jumps forward into another car or a garage door or a wall or whatever and then they have to explain to the person how they (the shop) is not responsible for idiots.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
A lot of shops won't install them because they've head to deal with dip****s who forget to leave the car in neutral and hit auto start and then the car jumps forward into another car or a garage door or a wall or whatever and then they have to explain to the person how they (the shop) is not responsible for idiots.

Lmfao that's too funny.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

turn traction control off. Works against you in the snow
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post

^this is true
Old 11-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Happened to my old coworker when he was young. Had a foxbody mustang. He flipped out because he thought someone stole his car while it was warming up. He called the police, and later they asked him to go look at his car wrecked into someone's house downhill from him.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
why's that? i thought it helps? seems to help me cus many times ill start to slide and then it evens me out.

I really will keep this car for life because I am getting older and I wont ever get married or have a family and I seriously do not see myself ever getting rid of this car, unless I am forced to which I hope I never have to. And I dont make much money anymore so I probably wont buy another car ever again.

at first i was like: YOLO

then i washed it up

btw when u go to the weekly touchless wash, is it ok if i just get the cheapest one that has undercarriage spray? cus i just been paying 10 quarters and hosing it off myself, that seems to do a better job.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Traction Control is good in the rain but in the snow it works against you. You want your tires to keep spinning if you start spinning so that you can regain traction or else you just risk getting stuck. IMO
yes, just use the self serve and rinse the car off every few days. Don't need to do a detailed wash lol just going to look dirty by the time you get it home anyways. Just keeps the bulk of the crap off the car.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't have too much money I wouldn't be wasting it on washing your car once a week. Wait like every 2-3 months.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

If he is planning on keeping it for years then getting rust reparied because one cheaps out on $8 car washes once a week in the winter is not exactly the smartest thing.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

you can also spray cooking spray on the insides of your wheel wells to keep the ice and crap from building up. just be careful not to get any of your tires lol
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

It's not just rust that is the issue with Winter driving, it is the increased risk of either smashing it up yourself or having someone else smash it up for you. I've already accomplished what the OP is asking to do, so I am speaking from experience. I have also had people run into Winter beaters I was driving over the years, and was thankful I wasn't driving my other cars.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Will driving mustang in the snow lower its life span?

Quote:
you can also spray cooking spray on the insides of your wheel wells to keep the ice and crap from building up. just be careful not to get any of your tires lol

If you are going to use some sort of spray, I would use a silicone spray. It dries quickly but creates a slippery surface. Also works great on the weatherstripping around the doors to keep them from freezing shut.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'll just leave this here. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416932843.884411.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	170294Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416932855.398061.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	170295

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
It's not just rust that is the issue with Winter driving, it is the increased risk of either smashing it up yourself or having someone else smash it up for you. I've already accomplished what the OP is asking to do, so I am speaking from experience. I have also had people run into Winter beaters I was driving over the years, and was thankful I wasn't driving my other cars.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

can happen any time of year. day, night, rain, snow.
police cars are rwd
Old 11-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
God bless texas

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
can happen any time of year. day, night, rain, snow.
police cars are rwd

I'm not disagreeing with that. But chances are increased in the Winter. I'm not the only one doing this in the snow belt. There is a reason why 90-95 percent of the nice cars disappear from our roads every year. People are putting them away for the Winter so they last, are safe, and continue to look good for years to come. I don't know any car friends that run their nice cars in the Winter. Sure, I did for a couple years when I was 18-19, but knew that was not the thing to do up here and eventually started buying Winter beaters. You are not going to daily drive a car for 25 years in the snow belt and keep it looking good, if around at all. Even look at it from a mileage standpoint, someone who puts 10k per year on their car will put 250k on it. Most people usually put around 20k on annually, that 500k in 25 years. Even if you live in a warm weather climate, are you going to put that many miles on your car, and if so, what is it going to look like and how much money are you going to dump into it to keep it mechanically sound and cosmetically good?

For some, cars are transportation and they don't mind just running them. The feeling I got from the OP's original post is that he loves this car and wants to keep it around and looking good for many years to come. That is the mentality I have with my cars so I am just sharing my experience on how to accomplish that goal. If he or anyone else wants to daily drive their cars that is fine with me, just don't be surprised if they are not around as long as you hoped.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

what makes the mustang not last as long as everyone else's car? 99% of the vehicles I see on a daily basis are driven year round.
If you have a second vehicle that is better in the snow then of course drive that before the mustang but if its mustang vs a beater.. id drive the mustang in the snow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT