X-Pipe: Catted or Offroad? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
X-Pipe: Catted or Offroad?

I have a borla cat back on my stang, but am considering doing the rest of the exhaust too. I already have a cold air intake installed and tuned also. My question is should I get offroad or catted xpipes? I just renewed my registration for 2 years, but still debating if it's worth not getting the catted ones? Is there any performance or sound difference between catted vs offroad? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Aspeedybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #2

Region: Wisconsin
I have the off road Pypes X-Pipe on my 2010 GT, I love it. It sounds awesome and it is loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2010 Mustang GT Premium | Pypes Off Road X-Pipe | 3:73 Gears |
Stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have am off road x pipe on my 2010 too. You'll get used the loudness but no one else will lol. I get compliments on the sound nearly every day. I think there is a small performance advantage going catless. Slightly less weight and less restriction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
... Another 2010 GT haha. Except I have the Pypes o/r h. Besides the horrendous leaking it has the sound is absolutely unbeatable. I'd suggest a mid mounted muffler setup though. O/R pipes with almost any axle back (excluding the Corsas) will trumpet bad.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Anyone have any experience running the pypes o/r X with the violator axle backs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mustang_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If your in CA you will not pass with aftermarket cats. I say just go O/R more HP and loud! Lol it only takes 30 min to swap out the pipes

Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

I like the sound better with high flow cats. It's smoother and less raw. Plus it gets rid of that horrible old truck/ Harley metal-y sound.

High flow cats are nearly as loud and the hp gain if you took them off is probably nothing, or at least not measurable, this isn't the late 70's anymore.

If you have the money go high flow. If you don't go off-road. Just get a quality pipe. I wouldn't suggest pypes.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

Why wouldn't you suggest Pypes? That's what I have, the instal was easy and they sound really good despite still having the stock cat back.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang22 View Post
Why wouldn't you suggest Pypes? That's what I have, the instal was easy and they sound really good despite still having the stock cat back.

Did the install go really easy? Fitment issues is a common problem with pype products.

I had the pypes mid muffler super system on my car at one point and I my as-well of been custom fabricating it myself... Well, almost lol.

If you can get it fit they are fine products

Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

The hardest part was getting the stock pipe out, the new pipe went in easy. The fitment was perfect.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang22 View Post
The hardest part was getting the stock pipe out, the new pipe went in easy. The fitment was perfect.

Understand that is relatively rare though. When it comes to fitment issues, pypes takes the cake.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

F*ck Pypes. In a perfect world I'd be at their facility burning their warehouse to the ground.

My Pypes o/r h has been welded twice now to correct leaks, however it's still leaking somewhere else. When I contacted Pypes their universal answer was a rude "I don't know what you're talking about," although I babied my explanation and the issue+answer was obvious, they just wanted to avoid it (even the provided instructions said it would be prone to leak).

They sell entry level products that you have to pay to fix out of the box (not just their o/r h-pipe).
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
F*ck Pypes. In a perfect world I'd be at their facility burning their warehouse to the ground.

My Pypes o/r h has been welded twice now to correct leaks, however it's still leaking somewhere else. When I contacted Pypes their universal answer was a rude "I don't know what you're talking about," although I babied my explanation and the issue+answer was obvious, they just wanted to avoid it (even the provided instructions said it would be prone to leak).

They sell entry level products that you have to pay to fix out of the box (not just their o/r h-pipe).

So I take it you aren't likely to recommend a pypes product to a friend..?

Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you are getting exhaust, get a quality brand. Yeah its not cheap but you only have to do it once.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you are getting exhaust, get a quality brand. Yeah its not cheap but you only have to do it once.
On top of this, do your research. My o/r h was a total impulse buy. Was expecting loud, but not trumpeting, rasp, and everything else you get with an o/r pipe that forums and videos just do not do any justice.

Had to have Pypes M-80's resonators welded on to get back to being able to make my commute (just way too loud and gross sounding). The M-80's sound alright but they're made in China ("stainless steel" finish on them is sh*t). They'll be coming off soon along with the h.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Keep saying that a good set of longtubes, a catted pipe and a good straight through muffler like a magnaflow. Perfect

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep saying that a good set of longtubes, a catted pipe and a good straight through muffler like a magnaflow. Perfect

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

That's what I'm running now actually. The manga packs. It's perfect. Loud but a mellow smooth note.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard a mid-mounted muffler is the best way to go vs. axle-backs.

I'm thinking about buying the Borla S-Type cat-back and relocating the mufflers to the axle pipes. Then replacing the h with a catted x (since I cannot find ANY quality catted h's for the 3v to save my life).

Can't afford LT's at the moment.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #19

Region: Texas
Quote:
... Another 2010 GT haha. Except I have the Pypes o/r h. Besides the horrendous leaking it has the sound is absolutely unbeatable. I'd suggest a mid mounted muffler setup though. O/R pipes with almost any axle back (excluding the Corsas) will trumpet bad.
agreed - be happy your got a 4.6, currently the last mustang to actually sound like a mustang, don't screw it up by getting an x pipe. (no offense to any x pipe fans out there)
techlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've heard a mid-mounted muffler is the best way to go vs. axle-backs.

I'm thinking about buying the Borla S-Type cat-back and relocating the mufflers to the axle pipes. Then replacing the h with a catted x (since I cannot find ANY quality catted h's for the 3v to save my life).

Can't afford LT's at the moment.

I have mine mid-mounted actually. It's marginally deeper as I suppose it echoes as it goes up and over-axle pipes?

I like the x pipe better anyway. I went with the BBK catted pipe. It sounds a little exotic I like it

Old 12-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Here's a quick sound check between BBK CATless X pipe then with Pypes highflow CATS.

http://youtu.be/rsuxhE264Pc

http://youtu.be/N_LTjl2H9ak

Ross2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm about to install some LT headers and catless h-pipe on my 08 stang. What do you guys do for inspection? I'm in texas and no cats will not pass. That's the one thing I'm worried about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Shadow322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow322 View Post
I'm about to install some LT headers and catless h-pipe on my 08 stang. What do you guys do for inspection? I'm in texas and no cats will not pass. That's the one thing I'm worried about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Honestly I had no idea Texas did inspections.. I'm actually very sad to hear that.

What some people do is they just throw on the stock mid pipe for inspection and then throw your off-road pipe back on after you pass.

If your state doesn't use the "sniffer" you can get away with the one of the many "fake cat" tricks.

One year when I lived in a liberal state I just welded the heat shield off of some old cats onto my off-road pipe so it looked like I had cats.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Honestly I had no idea Texas did inspections.. I'm actually very sad to hear that.

What some people do is they just throw on the stock mid pipe for inspection and then throw your off-road pipe back on after you pass.

If your state doesn't use the "sniffer" you can get away with the one of the many "fake cat" tricks.

One year when I lived in a liberal state I just welded the heat shield off of some old cats onto my off-road pipe so it looked like I had cats.

Yea I'm not worried about the sniffers because here in texas we have emissions testing counties and non-emissions testing counties, but either way they check for cats.

That's an option I've thought about, I just don't think my stock mid pipe will fit between my long tube headers and mufflers. May have to cut the length to fit, hopefully that works.

And do you care to elaborate on some of the "fake cat" tricks? Lol would love to have some other options
Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Fake cats= buy some dummy cats and weld them in. If they check for cats but no emissions testing where you live then good to go. Even if they do a sniffer most cars these days will pass with no cats because the motors run so clean.

Your stock mid pipe will not fit, what I have done for a cheap swap longtube for emissions day is pull my OR shorty mid pipe and take the OEM H pipe with me to an exhaust shop and say "make this one match that one".

Old 12-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fake cats= buy some dummy cats and weld them in. If they check for cats but no emissions testing where you live then good to go. Even if they do a sniffer most cars these days will pass with no cats because the motors run so clean.

Your stock mid pipe will not fit, what I have done for a cheap swap longtube for emissions day is pull my OR shorty mid pipe and take the OEM H pipe with me to an exhaust shop and say "make this one match that one".
Good idea about getting the stock midpipe to match Scotty. I may just do this, any idea about how much that cost?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

I paid a guy at the shop $50 cash way back in the mid 2000s. Literally took him 30 minutes to cut the front cats off, spread the pipes out a bit and weld the connections from in front of the cats that were cut off back on. Pretty sure that guy was just doing it under the table and none of it went to the shop. W/E.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT