X-Pipe: Catted or Offroad? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aspeedybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tucson
Region: Arizona
Posts: 23
X-Pipe: Catted or Offroad?

I have a borla cat back on my stang, but am considering doing the rest of the exhaust too. I already have a cold air intake installed and tuned also. My question is should I get offroad or catted xpipes? I just renewed my registration for 2 years, but still debating if it's worth not getting the catted ones? Is there any performance or sound difference between catted vs offroad? Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Aspeedybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Registered User
Newbie
 
Stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Waterford
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 14
I have the off road Pypes X-Pipe on my 2010 GT, I love it. It sounds awesome and it is loud.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium | Pypes Off Road X-Pipe | 3:73 Gears |
Stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ucfknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 208
I have am off road x pipe on my 2010 too. You'll get used the loudness but no one else will lol. I get compliments on the sound nearly every day. I think there is a small performance advantage going catless. Slightly less weight and less restriction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
... Another 2010 GT haha. Except I have the Pypes o/r h. Besides the horrendous leaking it has the sound is absolutely unbeatable. I'd suggest a mid mounted muffler setup though. O/R pipes with almost any axle back (excluding the Corsas) will trumpet bad.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang_2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raymore
Region: Missouri
Posts: 98
Anyone have any experience running the pypes o/r X with the violator axle backs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mustang_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boosted_3v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fresno
Region: California
Posts: 361
If your in CA you will not pass with aftermarket cats. I say just go O/R more HP and loud! Lol it only takes 30 min to swap out the pipes


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
X-Pipe: Catted or Offroad?

I like the sound better with high flow cats. It's smoother and less raw. Plus it gets rid of that horrible old truck/ Harley metal-y sound.

High flow cats are nearly as loud and the hp gain if you took them off is probably nothing, or at least not measurable, this isn't the late 70's anymore.

If you have the money go high flow. If you don't go off-road. Just get a quality pipe. I wouldn't suggest pypes.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Waterford
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 14
Why wouldn't you suggest Pypes? That's what I have, the instal was easy and they sound really good despite still having the stock cat back.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium | Pypes Off Road X-Pipe | 3:73 Gears |
Stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang22 View Post
Why wouldn't you suggest Pypes? That's what I have, the instal was easy and they sound really good despite still having the stock cat back.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Did the install go really easy? Fitment issues is a common problem with pype products.

I had the pypes mid muffler super system on my car at one point and I my as-well of been custom fabricating it myself... Well, almost lol.

If you can get it fit they are fine products




Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
Stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Waterford
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 14
The hardest part was getting the stock pipe out, the new pipe went in easy. The fitment was perfect.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium | Pypes Off Road X-Pipe | 3:73 Gears |
Stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
X-Pipe: Catted or Offroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang22 View Post
The hardest part was getting the stock pipe out, the new pipe went in easy. The fitment was perfect.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Understand that is relatively rare though. When it comes to fitment issues, pypes takes the cake.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
F*ck Pypes. In a perfect world I'd be at their facility burning their warehouse to the ground.

My Pypes o/r h has been welded twice now to correct leaks, however it's still leaking somewhere else. When I contacted Pypes their universal answer was a rude "I don't know what you're talking about," although I babied my explanation and the issue+answer was obvious, they just wanted to avoid it (even the provided instructions said it would be prone to leak).

They sell entry level products that you have to pay to fix out of the box (not just their o/r h-pipe).
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
F*ck Pypes. In a perfect world I'd be at their facility burning their warehouse to the ground.

My Pypes o/r h has been welded twice now to correct leaks, however it's still leaking somewhere else. When I contacted Pypes their universal answer was a rude "I don't know what you're talking about," although I babied my explanation and the issue+answer was obvious, they just wanted to avoid it (even the provided instructions said it would be prone to leak).

They sell entry level products that you have to pay to fix out of the box (not just their o/r h-pipe).

So I take it you aren't likely to recommend a pypes product to a friend..?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,588
If you are getting exhaust, get a quality brand. Yeah its not cheap but you only have to do it once.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you are getting exhaust, get a quality brand. Yeah its not cheap but you only have to do it once.
On top of this, do your research. My o/r h was a total impulse buy. Was expecting loud, but not trumpeting, rasp, and everything else you get with an o/r pipe that forums and videos just do not do any justice.

Had to have Pypes M-80's resonators welded on to get back to being able to make my commute (just way too loud and gross sounding). The M-80's sound alright but they're made in China ("stainless steel" finish on them is sh*t). They'll be coming off soon along with the h.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,588
Keep saying that a good set of longtubes, a catted pipe and a good straight through muffler like a magnaflow. Perfect

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Keep saying that a good set of longtubes, a catted pipe and a good straight through muffler like a magnaflow. Perfect

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

That's what I'm running now actually. The manga packs. It's perfect. Loud but a mellow smooth note.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
I've heard a mid-mounted muffler is the best way to go vs. axle-backs.

I'm thinking about buying the Borla S-Type cat-back and relocating the mufflers to the axle pipes. Then replacing the h with a catted x (since I cannot find ANY quality catted h's for the 3v to save my life).

Can't afford LT's at the moment.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: texas
Region: Texas
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
... Another 2010 GT haha. Except I have the Pypes o/r h. Besides the horrendous leaking it has the sound is absolutely unbeatable. I'd suggest a mid mounted muffler setup though. O/R pipes with almost any axle back (excluding the Corsas) will trumpet bad.
agreed - be happy your got a 4.6, currently the last mustang to actually sound like a mustang, don't screw it up by getting an x pipe. (no offense to any x pipe fans out there)
techlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I've heard a mid-mounted muffler is the best way to go vs. axle-backs.

I'm thinking about buying the Borla S-Type cat-back and relocating the mufflers to the axle pipes. Then replacing the h with a catted x (since I cannot find ANY quality catted h's for the 3v to save my life).

Can't afford LT's at the moment.

I have mine mid-mounted actually. It's marginally deeper as I suppose it echoes as it goes up and over-axle pipes?

I like the x pipe better anyway. I went with the BBK catted pipe. It sounds a little exotic I like it




Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ross2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 24
X-Pipe: Catted or Offroad?

Here's a quick sound check between BBK CATless X pipe then with Pypes highflow CATS.

http://youtu.be/rsuxhE264Pc

http://youtu.be/N_LTjl2H9ak



Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ross2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Shadow322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 73
I'm about to install some LT headers and catless h-pipe on my 08 stang. What do you guys do for inspection? I'm in texas and no cats will not pass. That's the one thing I'm worried about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Shadow322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow322 View Post
I'm about to install some LT headers and catless h-pipe on my 08 stang. What do you guys do for inspection? I'm in texas and no cats will not pass. That's the one thing I'm worried about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Honestly I had no idea Texas did inspections.. I'm actually very sad to hear that.

What some people do is they just throw on the stock mid pipe for inspection and then throw your off-road pipe back on after you pass.

If your state doesn't use the "sniffer" you can get away with the one of the many "fake cat" tricks.

One year when I lived in a liberal state I just welded the heat shield off of some old cats onto my off-road pipe so it looked like I had cats.






Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Shadow322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Honestly I had no idea Texas did inspections.. I'm actually very sad to hear that.

What some people do is they just throw on the stock mid pipe for inspection and then throw your off-road pipe back on after you pass.

If your state doesn't use the "sniffer" you can get away with the one of the many "fake cat" tricks.

One year when I lived in a liberal state I just welded the heat shield off of some old cats onto my off-road pipe so it looked like I had cats.


Yea I'm not worried about the sniffers because here in texas we have emissions testing counties and non-emissions testing counties, but either way they check for cats.

That's an option I've thought about, I just don't think my stock mid pipe will fit between my long tube headers and mufflers. May have to cut the length to fit, hopefully that works.

And do you care to elaborate on some of the "fake cat" tricks? Lol would love to have some other options
Shadow322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,588
Fake cats= buy some dummy cats and weld them in. If they check for cats but no emissions testing where you live then good to go. Even if they do a sniffer most cars these days will pass with no cats because the motors run so clean.


Your stock mid pipe will not fit, what I have done for a cheap swap longtube for emissions day is pull my OR shorty mid pipe and take the OEM H pipe with me to an exhaust shop and say "make this one match that one".
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Shadow322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Fake cats= buy some dummy cats and weld them in. If they check for cats but no emissions testing where you live then good to go. Even if they do a sniffer most cars these days will pass with no cats because the motors run so clean.


Your stock mid pipe will not fit, what I have done for a cheap swap longtube for emissions day is pull my OR shorty mid pipe and take the OEM H pipe with me to an exhaust shop and say "make this one match that one".
Good idea about getting the stock midpipe to match Scotty. I may just do this, any idea about how much that cost?
Shadow322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,588
I paid a guy at the shop $50 cash way back in the mid 2000s. Literally took him 30 minutes to cut the front cats off, spread the pipes out a bit and weld the connections from in front of the cats that were cut off back on. Pretty sure that guy was just doing it under the table and none of it went to the shop. W/E.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
X-Pipes or H-Pipes Landen 2005-2010 Mustang GT 36 12-20-2012 06:16 PM
X-Pipes and H-Pipes? Soccerluvr4 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 4 02-26-2012 07:10 PM
off-roaad h-pipes and x-pipes Black00GT 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 02-19-2004 07:12 PM
Will this set of pipes fit on my stang? Toomster Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 17 11-18-2003 03:15 PM
Side pipes 98VroomVroom Mustang Audio & Video 5 08-01-2003 03:27 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:02 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.