Dry vs. Oiled CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Dry vs. Oiled CAI

Guys,

I've had my mustang for a little while now and I've just gotten to the point where I can do a few mods. I was thinking about getting a CAI, but it would be one of the ones that can run without a custom tune as I don't have the funds for the tuner right now. My question is this, what is the difference between an oiled CAI and a dry CAI? I was looking at the Airaid CAIs and noticed there are two different kinds. Does one work better than the other? Is one easier to maintain or cheaper?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Pajellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Oiled you can wash and reuse the filter. Dry you dispose and replace. That's pretty much it.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Since they are roughly the same price, is the only reason people buy the dry ones is because they don't want to take the time to clean and re-oil the oiled CAI? I'm just wondering if there is a performance or maintenance difference or does this just come down to personal opinion as to which works better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Oiled get a bad rap from a lot of forums from misinformed people. You'll rarely need to clean the filter, and do nothing to it when new. Oiled can pay for themselves fairly quickly if you drive very much since you aren't replacing a filter once a year or more.
BBK LT headers, fuel rail and UD pullies
Hurst Shifter
Lowered with upgraded rear suspension
Galaxie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A few educated people I trust have had MAF sensor issues with oiled K&N filters.

I have no experience and am not personally familiar with these problems.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
A few educated people I trust have had MAF sensor issues with oiled K&N filters.

I have no experience and am not personally familiar with these problems.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

That's cause K&N is garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dang! I've got a K&N drop-in, no problems as of yet and mine is tuned with an Airaid tube as well!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Not only K&N

There is nothing wrong with a K&N air filter. It's like anything. When you clean the filter and I'm talking all oiled filters you do not soak the thing with oil. It takes very little oil to re-oil the filters after cleaning them. Some people have the "MORE IS BETTER" mentality and over oil the filter. Then the super sticky oil can come off the filter and contaminate the MAF.
All of the CAI's that use these types of filters need the same care in re-oiling as the K&N would. Oil outside of filter only very lightly.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Except the fact that K&Ns come with too much oil from the factory. Had a K&N car on my moms escape and my brother in laws avalanche and both had gummed up sensors and air tubes....had an airaid filter on my car and no issues as well as my dad's ecoboost f150

08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Dry vs. Oiled CAI

When I spoke to the sales guy at American Muscle, he stated that the oiled CAI filters do a better job of keeping moisture out than dry filters. Is this true?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have used an oiled K&N filter in my GTI for several years and it works just fine, just clean once and year and retreat. FWIW a CAI on your Mustang is usually a waste of money as you won't see any gains unless you go with a tune. I had one of the no-tune BBK models and fuel economy actually suffered so I took it off.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Except the fact that K&Ns come with too much oil from the factory. Had a K&N car on my moms escape and my brother in laws avalanche and both had gummed up sensors and air tubes....had an airaid filter on my car and no issues as well as my dad's ecoboost f150

Exactly what I heard. Don't know anyone who stuck with it long enough to re oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
I have used an oiled K&N filter in my GTI for several years and it works just fine, just clean once and year and retreat. FWIW a CAI on your Mustang is usually a waste of money as you won't see any gains unless you go with a tune. I had one of the no-tune BBK models and fuel economy actually suffered so I took it off.
Yea, MPG definitely went down :/

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess it doesn't matter which kind of CAI I get as long as I get a tune with it as well. As far as MPG, I'm not really too concerned about it going down a bit. Thanks again all.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you decide to buy a cai/tuner combo go with c&l racer intake, I've been using it for a while and works great.
2006 GT, C&L RACER INTAKE, FRPP THROTTLE BODY, FRPP INTAKE MANIFOLD, FRPP HOTROD CAMS, FRPP SHORTY HEADERS, CUSTOM X PIPE, BORLA ATAK MUFFLERS, FRPP SPRINGS, BAMA TUNE, CERVINIS STALKER II HOOD, STREET SCENE GEN 1 FASCIA AND REAR VALANCE
Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie64 View Post
Oiled get a bad rap from a lot of forums from misinformed people. You'll rarely need to clean the filter, and do nothing to it when new. Oiled can pay for themselves fairly quickly if you drive very much since you aren't replacing a filter once a year or more.
This.

Folks have been giving bad raps to an oiled filter, saying it causes the MAF to fail. If an owner does not follow directions for cleaning and re-oiling, I could see this happening, but that's no fault of the product.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajellies View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess it doesn't matter which kind of CAI I get as long as I get a tune with it as well. As far as MPG, I'm not really too concerned about it going down a bit. Thanks again all.

Hope you're buying it for looks, or getting some "sound", as you already have a cold air induction system. Any fuel injection engine has one from the factory. The stock air filter box gets it's cool air from the front of the grill.

Adding an open filter type CAI will actually draw warm air from the engine compartment...a step backwards IMO.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Adding an open filter type CAI will actually draw warm air from the engine compartment...a step backwards IMO.
exactly why i went from a c&l ram intake back to stock.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Oiled you can wash and reuse the filter. Dry you dispose and replace. That's pretty much it.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

AFE Pro-Dry filters are not disposable. You wash them, let them dry and put them back in service. They do not require oil.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I had a K&N cold air intake kit on my last mustang for 70k miles. I re-oiled it enough times to go through a "recharge kit" and then some. The MAF on my 05 is still working fine, so who knows?

Still, I went with another brand for my 09. On that was marketed as "needs a tune" and the performance increase is substantial.

I'm left with the conclusion that while K&N won't actually hurt the car, it's not a real good performer. Just a lot of hype and advertisement.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cai