Tranny oil change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boosted_3v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fresno
Region: California
Posts: 361
Tranny oil change

Anyone have a wright up on how to do this and how much oil it takes? How hard is it to do?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Not sure how much fluid can find that easy enough online but go down through the shift er with a rubber hose and that is the easiest way.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boosted_3v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fresno
Region: California
Posts: 361
Just undo the drain plug right because some guy say oil change and some say compleat oil "flush"


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Oil drain is fine

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 4
Oil Change Guide I used

I recently changed the oil in my transmission using this guide from "Moosestang" at mustangforums.com.
A How To: changing manual transmission fluid - MustangForums.com

(I hope it is OK to post a link to another forum. I didn't see any provision against it in forum rules.)

It wasn't too difficult, and I agree that going through the shifter tunnel with a rubber tube was easy to do.
I put the car up on ramps and jack stands to get it level, but the car was warm when I opened the fill plug. I don't know if the transmission was over-filled by the quickie lube place or if the fluid just expanded significantly because it was warm, but a significant amount of fluid came out from the filler hole. I was not prepared for that and made a big mess - you may have a better experience, but you've been warned
Other than getting hot transmission fluid everywhere when opening the fill plug, the fluid change was easy.
Specification calls for 3.2 quarts which should put the level about 1/2 inch below the fill plug. I used 3 quarts and the level felt right so I stopped there as I was frustrated that it had been overfilled before. I'll probably go back and add another .2 quarts soon though.
Speewack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boosted_3v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fresno
Region: California
Posts: 361
Sweet thanks man that helps out a lot!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
3650s love Pennzoil synchromesh and its only $8/bottle at auto zone. Butter shifts, no issues at 6k. Mine was a fresh rebuild tho.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boosted_3v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fresno
Region: California
Posts: 361
I have a bottle of RP laying around that I used on my 2v think I'm just going to by RP


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie3v View Post
I have a bottle of RP laying around that I used on my 2v think I'm just going to by RP


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Tremec actually recommends to NOT use Royal Purple. There are chemicals in it they use that destroy synchros.

You want Pennzoil Synchromesh. It is like holy water for the 3650.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Pay about $165.00 every 30K for a complete oil change (flush) and be done with it. While it's good to drop the automatic transmission pan to change it's filter, getting only about 3.2 quarts of fresh fluid makes no sence to me. The torque convertor holds much more than this, so as soon as you start the car, you've mixed 3 quarts of fresh into about 6 quarts of old. A true flush done every 30K will assure you of a long lasting automatic transmission.

The myths of flushing causing damage to an older transmission are just that; myths. The new flushing systems used today connect to the send/return lines of the automatic transmission lines that connect to the radiator (for fluid cooling), and use no pressure (or low) to remove the old fluid and replace with fresh. Pluse, they drop the pan and replace the filter.
Paying this amount every 30K miles is soooo much better than a replacement transmission down the road.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
3650s love Pennzoil synchromesh and its only $8/bottle at auto zone. Butter shifts, no issues at 6k. Mine was a fresh rebuild tho.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Aint no "tho" about it. 150k old transmission, and pennzoil synchromesh made it feel almost new again. (**** 5th gear....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Pay about $165.00 every 30K for a complete oil change (flush) and be done with it. While it's good to drop the automatic transmission pan to change it's filter, getting only about 3.2 quarts of fresh fluid makes no sence to me. The torque convertor holds much more than this, so as soon as you start the car, you've mixed 3 quarts of fresh into about 6 quarts of old. A true flush done every 30K will assure you of a long lasting automatic transmission.

The myths of flushing causing damage to an older transmission are just that; myths. The new flushing systems used today connect to the send/return lines of the automatic transmission lines that connect to the radiator (for fluid cooling), and use no pressure (or low) to remove the old fluid and replace with fresh. Pluse, they drop the pan and replace the filter.
Paying this amount every 30K miles is soooo much better than a replacement transmission down the road.
You're absolutely right about that. but 3.2 is for the tremec 3650 5 speed. I actually wasn't entirely sure if OP was referring to auto or manual.
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 4
Manual or Automatic?

When I responded with the link on how to change the Transmission oil and the 3.2 quarts, that was for a manual transmission.
For an Auto, I'd have it done rather than try to do it myself.
Speewack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boosted_3v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fresno
Region: California
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Tremec actually recommends to NOT use Royal Purple. There are chemicals in it they use that destroy synchros.

You want Pennzoil Synchromesh. It is like holy water for the 3650.


Bullitts are better than Bullets

So Pennzoil Synchromesh? Anyone else have that in there 05-10 5speed trannys?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
I had it in my 02-04 3650. Like I said, damn thing was ridiculously smooth.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie3v View Post
So Pennzoil Synchromesh? Anyone else have that in there 05-10 5speed trannys?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Good point...depends on the tranny type.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smell oil burning thru interior air vents after oil change dentman43 2011-2014 Mustang GT 7 10-27-2014 09:36 AM
First oil change what oil sinister 2011-2014 Mustang GT 48 08-18-2014 08:57 AM
Auto tranny VS. Manual tranny x2bittz Classic Mustangs 15 06-29-2013 08:07 PM
Oil, Oil Additives, Oil Filters, FACTS robb15033 General Mustang Discussion 2 08-02-2012 12:37 PM
v6 tranny to a v8 tranny 97V6stangct Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 02-04-2012 01:42 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:44 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.