Tranny oil change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tranny oil change

Anyone have a wright up on how to do this and how much oil it takes? How hard is it to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Not sure how much fluid can find that easy enough online but go down through the shift er with a rubber hose and that is the easiest way.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Just undo the drain plug right because some guy say oil change and some say compleat oil "flush"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Oil drain is fine

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

Region: Texas
Oil Change Guide I used

I recently changed the oil in my transmission using this guide from "Moosestang" at mustangforums.com.
A How To: changing manual transmission fluid - MustangForums.com

(I hope it is OK to post a link to another forum. I didn't see any provision against it in forum rules.)

It wasn't too difficult, and I agree that going through the shifter tunnel with a rubber tube was easy to do.
I put the car up on ramps and jack stands to get it level, but the car was warm when I opened the fill plug. I don't know if the transmission was over-filled by the quickie lube place or if the fluid just expanded significantly because it was warm, but a significant amount of fluid came out from the filler hole. I was not prepared for that and made a big mess - you may have a better experience, but you've been warned
Other than getting hot transmission fluid everywhere when opening the fill plug, the fluid change was easy.
Specification calls for 3.2 quarts which should put the level about 1/2 inch below the fill plug. I used 3 quarts and the level felt right so I stopped there as I was frustrated that it had been overfilled before. I'll probably go back and add another .2 quarts soon though.
Speewack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet thanks man that helps out a lot!!!

Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
3650s love Pennzoil synchromesh and its only $8/bottle at auto zone. Butter shifts, no issues at 6k. Mine was a fresh rebuild tho.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have a bottle of RP laying around that I used on my 2v think I'm just going to by RP

Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie3v View Post
I have a bottle of RP laying around that I used on my 2v think I'm just going to by RP

Tremec actually recommends to NOT use Royal Purple. There are chemicals in it they use that destroy synchros.

You want Pennzoil Synchromesh. It is like holy water for the 3650.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Pay about $165.00 every 30K for a complete oil change (flush) and be done with it. While it's good to drop the automatic transmission pan to change it's filter, getting only about 3.2 quarts of fresh fluid makes no sence to me. The torque convertor holds much more than this, so as soon as you start the car, you've mixed 3 quarts of fresh into about 6 quarts of old. A true flush done every 30K will assure you of a long lasting automatic transmission.

The myths of flushing causing damage to an older transmission are just that; myths. The new flushing systems used today connect to the send/return lines of the automatic transmission lines that connect to the radiator (for fluid cooling), and use no pressure (or low) to remove the old fluid and replace with fresh. Pluse, they drop the pan and replace the filter.
Paying this amount every 30K miles is soooo much better than a replacement transmission down the road.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
3650s love Pennzoil synchromesh and its only $8/bottle at auto zone. Butter shifts, no issues at 6k. Mine was a fresh rebuild tho.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Aint no "tho" about it. 150k old transmission, and pennzoil synchromesh made it feel almost new again. (**** 5th gear....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Pay about $165.00 every 30K for a complete oil change (flush) and be done with it. While it's good to drop the automatic transmission pan to change it's filter, getting only about 3.2 quarts of fresh fluid makes no sence to me. The torque convertor holds much more than this, so as soon as you start the car, you've mixed 3 quarts of fresh into about 6 quarts of old. A true flush done every 30K will assure you of a long lasting automatic transmission.

The myths of flushing causing damage to an older transmission are just that; myths. The new flushing systems used today connect to the send/return lines of the automatic transmission lines that connect to the radiator (for fluid cooling), and use no pressure (or low) to remove the old fluid and replace with fresh. Pluse, they drop the pan and replace the filter.
Paying this amount every 30K miles is soooo much better than a replacement transmission down the road.
You're absolutely right about that. but 3.2 is for the tremec 3650 5 speed. I actually wasn't entirely sure if OP was referring to auto or manual.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #12

Region: Texas
Manual or Automatic?

When I responded with the link on how to change the Transmission oil and the 3.2 quarts, that was for a manual transmission.
For an Auto, I'd have it done rather than try to do it myself.
Speewack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Tremec actually recommends to NOT use Royal Purple. There are chemicals in it they use that destroy synchros.

You want Pennzoil Synchromesh. It is like holy water for the 3650.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

So Pennzoil Synchromesh? Anyone else have that in there 05-10 5speed trannys?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I had it in my 02-04 3650. Like I said, damn thing was ridiculously smooth.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie3v View Post
So Pennzoil Synchromesh? Anyone else have that in there 05-10 5speed trannys?

Good point...depends on the tranny type.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT