Weird "Whining" Noise coming from somerwhere - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Weird "Whining" Noise coming from somerwhere

Hello everybody!

I am new to the whole mustang dealio and just bought my first one about two weeks ago. I bought an 07 Mustang GT and so far i love it to bits! Mustangs have been in my family since my grandfather bought his 6 banger in the 1960's and i thought it would be nice to buy one for myself since i just got out of highschool not to long ago.

I do however have some worries though as i am the 4th owner of it and i was hoping to find a decent group of folks that know a thing or two about stangs in general. I will try to make this as easy as possible to read as i am not very forum smart.

My problems so far:
1.( I have a "Whining" like noise coming from somewhere under the hood. It actually whines at a higher decibel as the motor revs increase. You would think after the motor heated up to operating temperature that the whine would go away but sadly, it still remains. I am not sure if it is a belt tensioner/pulley. The belt itself, ETC.
2.( Should i use Motorcraft Mercon V to service my automatic trans? I've heard its great stuff to use.
3.( I have kind of a sulphuric smell coming from my exhaust. I was told my cats might be bad but i highly doubt it as the mustang has 82,000 on the odo. My O2 sensors look shot and might need replacing. If i replace those little guys, could that fix the egg/sulphur smell?

Thats all i have off the top of my head right now. Hope to hear something soon from you folks.

Thanks!
Taladegaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
the whine noise that I think you are describing is just a 4.6 ford thing. It happens on all of them to some extent. Unless its not what I think you're talking about. And congrats on your mustang!! Im 19 and I just got my first mustang as well but its a 1999 gt 5 speed. Im still in college so I was lucky to get even that car. I know how damn excited I was for that car, I can only imagine your 07!.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not supposed to be a whine on a 4.6 really. If its steady, check for vac leaks. If its not a steady sound, listen to the pulleys. Could be a bearing.
Once you narrowed it down, if its a vac leak, use a little bit of brake cleaner to spray at the vac leak. It should suck in the brake cleaner and seal the leak for a second and cause the idle to rise a bit. Then you found what needs fixin.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 05:07 AM   #4

I'm not sure if a vacume line would do this but it is what I would call an idle dependant whine. What I mean by that is that the motor whines at a higher pitch as revs increase and drops if rpms drop. Hopefully its not a bearing. I plan to drive this car a total of 570.00 miles to visit family for the holidays. I just hope if it is a bearing, it will hold up. heck I even read somewhere that the alternators do this too.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Probably the alternator

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I meant pulley bearing. under 20 bucks and so simple to swap out. But it would be more of a scraping noise than a whine. like i said, spray brake or carb cleaner in a few spots, like the intake manifold gaskets, iac, throttle body, plenum, vac lines, intake tubing. My iac currently needs a new gasket and it whines a bit at idle. as soon as i put my finger on the side of it, it blocks the airflow, and either gets higher pitched or goes away depending on how much area my finger covers. push on things and move stuff a bit, listen for changes.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #7

Narrowed it down

Sorry it took me a while to reply! When i pulled my car into the backyard tonight, i noticed the whine had a perfect pitch and i was able to ear it and determined that the whine is occurring somewhere between the throttle body and the alternator. It doesnt sound like anything vacuum related but my guess now is that it very well could be the alternator. I'll try to get a video to confirm this tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
I had the same issue a while back on my 08, after chasing the sound for a while it turning out to be one of my idler pulley's, pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

I narrowed it down to the alternator with a long iron pipe I keep in my garage. I tried it on all the pulleys and had a smooth sound. The alternator however is making the whine/howl. Glad I know now. I'll be replacing it after the holiday.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
The smell from the exhaust prob means u need a tune up.

2005 Roush GT, Roush cai, BAMA 93r tune
Travis238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It's the pully happened to me

dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT