Pinging Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Pinging Noise

Not sure I posted this before, but my car still pings under sudden acceleration when warm. I can be on 2nd gear and suddenly punch it and the pinging noise is there.
I keep using Lucas Injector cleaner, replaced spark plugs, air and fuel filters and have been using better gas such as Shell. I read articles where people have experience the same problem, but no one seems to have a solution or a fix.
I can really use some advise.

Thank you.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
What are your rpms at when you punch it? If you lug the engine you will defiantly hear excessive ticking.

I'm only saying this because as a teenage driver in my 01 cobra I would lug it pretty bad and heard the nice "old truck ticking/knocking".

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

RPMs would be running high, above 2500. I didn't think it would have anything to do with it and is more of an issue with timing or something and not RPMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Could be detonation, could be just the nature of the beast with the 4.6 and 5.4. They both have a lot of excessive valve train noise.

What can you tell me about the sound? How long have you noticed it?

Do you have aftermarket headers or a mid pipe?

Is your car stock tuned as far as you know? (My 09 came with a very aggressive tune and I didn't realize it was tuned for 93 on first fill up, doesn't sound like your case but it doesn't hurt to ask)

How loud is it? With the windows up and not around and curbs, walls, anything to reverberate the sound, can you still hear it? This would signify something is probably wrong.

We can walk you through it from there.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm almost sure is detonation. It's been going on for over a year now. I've had the car now just over 2 yrs. and I think it came with that problem already, but it isn't noticeable until it's put under sudden acceleration and it only lasts for a second. The car has no mods and not sure it was ever tuned. I will clean the MAF and see what happens. I'm ready to trade it for a 5.0, but don't want the extra expense. thanks for your reply.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It only lasts for a second, huh? What plugs are you running? I put in a off brand of spark plug and it was stutter if you quickly pushed the pedal down.

Our cars do have knock sensors so I would feel pretty safe in saying if it was detonation it would throw a code. Not to mention I don't see a motor making it a year with a lean condition.

What happens if you attempt to replicate this in park/neutral? If it's only under load it could possibly be a coil on its last leg.

And no problem buddy! That's what we're (most of us) are here for

Old 12-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Spark plugs are new Motorcraft from American Muscle. I doesn't do it in neutral. You are probably right, maybe a weak spark. I'll look into that. I remain hopeful. I really like my car and don't want to trade it. Thanks again and Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuan View Post
Spark plugs are new Motorcraft from American Muscle. I doesn't do it in neutral. You are probably right, maybe a weak spark. I'll look into that. I remain hopeful. I really like my car and don't want to trade it. Thanks again and Happy New Year.

It doesn't sound like your car is on its last leg. I think you're fine brother.

In my experience coils are notorious for not throwing codes. This would be where I would start checking those out. Rebuild the coils and boots is very easy to do. This usually fixes the issue. The stock coils are still working fine on my 05 with 190k ( at least the electrical part of it, the boots and metal coil have been replaced several times with autozone parts )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT