What are the differences in 05-09 Mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What are the differences in 05-09 Mustangs

Hi all,
I recently bought an 08 Mustang Gt. Never had an Overhead Cam Car before so I don't know anything about them. I've had plenty of older Push Rod Motor Mustangs & did plenty of work on them including a complete 302 engine build...but this is a whole new ball game for me. It was a learn as I go process when I built the motor so I bought several parts that wouldn't work during that build & am hoping to avoid that this time.
When I look at parts for 05-09 Mustangs on Ebay I see alot of stuff says for 05 & 06 Mustang & other ads say 07-09 Mustangs & some ads say 05-09 mustangs. I thought all the 05-09 Mustang parts would be interchangeable.
These ads are mainly for body part stuff like Head Lights, Tail Lights, Hoods, etc...
So now I'm wondering about things like Brakes, Rotors, Wheels & Exhaust. I want to put Wilwood Brakes with Slotted & Drilled Rotors next. My Front Rotors look bigger than the rear Rotors so I'm not sure what I have here as all 4 rotors on all my other cars were pretty much the same size. Do they sell kits with 2 Larger Front Rotors & 2 Smaller back Rotors for 08 Mustangs ? Is this just the way they come stock on the newer Mustangs or was this a factory upgrade ?
Also planning on buying a used motor in the spring / soon ... to build up some. I'm wondering if a bigger motor will fit & bolt up to the Trans that's in the car or if it would have to be changed too. I'd like to put a 351 / 5.7L in it if possible or at least a 2010 or newer 5.0 motor. If it will fit...what kind of things will I have to retro-fit? Will I have to change the ECU ?
Any and all info on differences in body, motors, brakes & wheels would be much appreciated.
Thanks Guys !!!!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I believe a cooling hose is the only difference between the 05-06 & 07-08. There are no differences in the body from what I know. I'm not sure of the exact measurement of the rotors but I know the front is 2 piston and the rear is 1 rotor.

It's all about the Smiles Per Gallon
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Also as far as engine swaps I've header of a 5.0 coyote swap, but it was done by a shop with a big budget. I'm pretty sure you should also have to swap the ecu, make a custom intake manifold and headers. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head, there is probably more. The cost of all this would make FI a much more cost effective route. I've also seen a 5.4L swap. I believe you heads will fit the 5.4 which would allow you to use your original intake manifold and ecu as well. The heads on a 5.4 are roughly 1 inch higher than a 4.6 So I'm not sure if the intake manifold will fit under a stock hood, and you will also have to build custom headers. When looking at possible swaps, look at engines from the Windsor and Romeo plants, since parts can easily be swapped between them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking of using aftermarket Heads & Cams like AFR, Trick Flow or something like that.
I don't think the heads on my car are any good as there's holes in the oil squirter tubes & the car can't get the right lubrication or oil pressure. Last owner didn't ever change the oil.
Found all this out after I bought the car & found the problems. That's the whole reason for me doing a complete engine swap.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh that sucks, sorry man. Well if you get aftermarket heads are you planning on keeping the stock 4.6? And doing some sort of FI?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure what you mean by FI ? Fuel Injection ?
I'm sure the Bearings, Cam & Crank Journals are all badly worn throughout the motor so I wont be using this 4.6 motor at all. I wouldn't mind using another 4.6 if I could get 400+ H.P. out of it before adding a Super Charger. Just not sure if that's even possible.
I really am lost when it comes to the modular motors. Going to buy a Chilton's this week to just read & figure it out. I'm not even sure what after market performance parts are available as of yet for this car. I just know I'd like to push close to 500 H.P. with a Super Charger when it's all said & done.
So what motor would you go with & what parts would you swap to make this happen (as far as engine goes) ? Suspension, Brakes & Exhaust are a Given as I know I want Slotted & Drilled Rotors with Wilwood Brakes, Coil Overs, X-Pipe, Hi-Flow Cats & I like Glass Packs...lol. Old School I guess as I love the Loud Crackling Sound when I rev the motor.
Probably start out 2.5" & end up 3" Pipe.
Yes...it's going to take me a year to do all this...but I spent the last year doing my 94 up & the year before that doing my 04 up so I'm getting pretty use to it.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was referring to FI as Forced induction, but I've also seen it as fuel injection. Sorry about the confusion. Reaching 400hp without forced induction is difficult, and while it has been done, the cost seems silly when you compare it to a supercharger. You could get to 350 with some bolt ons, like CAI, cams, Axle-backs, midpipe, and headers. All of these will help you when you supercharge it. As far as which engine to swap, I would stick with the stock 4.6 3v, just buy a used one. It should be an easy swap and our engines can handle roughly 450whp, which with a 10% drivetrain loss is 495hp to the crank. Almost any supercharger could get your car to that point with the right tune, except maybe the non intercooled paxton/vortech. Do you know what supercharger you want?

Old 01-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure as of yet. I did see a complete kit on Ebay ( Super Charger, Inter Cooler, Piping. etc) for $4500 that kind of caught my eye.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Here's what the ad says.I am selling my slightly used satin Procharger P-1SC-1 supercharger kit. Kit only has about 5000 miles on it. Comes with everything needed for a turn key installation. This kit will instantly get you an extra 200HP. I was dynoed at 430 rewhip on a conservative tune. Kit includes Procharger P-1SC-1 supercharger, full instructional book, 5 bottles of procharger oil, 39lbs injectors, second fuel pump, Diablosport intune tuner, Diablosport mafia and MAF extension, intake with K&N filter, 3 core intercooler and all plumbing and fittings, coolant and power steering relocation. Also has another 2 years on the Procharger WARRANTY. Asking $4500.00 obo. Kits start at $5400 new. This kit can easily be installed in your garage over a weekend.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure if the warranty will carry of to a new owner, I would definitely double check. It sounds like a complete kit and decent deal. I would definitely be careful buying a used supercharger, there is a lot that can go wrong. The 39lb injectors will definitely get you to 500hp, but you might want to get a Boost A Pump. If you want to get that 500hp mark you will also want to turn the boost up a little and definitely get a new dyno tune.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah....I'm a little worried about spending that kind of money on a used one. Not sure what I'll do yet. I need to check around on new kit prices.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Best bang for your buck is a stock coyote motor with a blower.
In the long run it will be way cheaper and way faster than any other option.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Coyote motor with spray. They love the bottle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via Skype™ to CyStang
The 07-09 is heavier bc of the 5.4 in the GT500. They beefed up and strength the 07-09 to handle the 5.4/5.8. I know the trunk area is different as far as the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
CyStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT