This normal with aftermarket cams? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
This normal with aftermarket cams?

Just put FRPP hot rod cams in my 3v this weekend with no other mods. Made idle to 1700 RPM-ish maybe 2x louder and deeper. Resonating my whole rear end and shaking walls up to 30-40 feet away from me.

Wasn't expecting the volume to increase, is this normal?

My exhaust setup is an O/R H with M-80 bullet mufflers in intermediate pipes and Borla S-Type axle-backs.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
That sounds like an amazing sound actually, but volume increase is normal but I didn't think it was drastic

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Yup, just about normal. They do make idle a lot louder, and the loping is making it resonate more.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2015, 12:49 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Post a vid
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
That's normal.
The hot rod cams sound bad *** in the 3v's. I like those and the mutha thumpers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Well damn. Few more questions while I'm here, I'll try to be brief. Note that I'm running a poop Bama tune for now until I get to a dyno or remote tune session.

Car idles around 850-900. Seems a little high. Also jerks from 0-5 mph (auto trans). Normal or just bad tune?

Sometimes at low speeds when its basically idling, I'll give it a little gas then let off, but RPMs may continue to climb or just hang there. I'm assuming this is just nature of aggressive cams... No?
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 241
I had those cams in 07mustang and my2010 raptor that's a awesome sound...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Reporting back in here. I was able to answer my own questions in my last post. Steeda finally sent me an updated tune and did a short run + datalog.

0-5 mph jerk is gone, smooth idle again. Idle is lower again around 750-800. RPMs don't hang upon letting off gas.

Still needs some refinement but Steeda tune beats Bama tune hands down... C'mon Bama I thought they got a new lead calibrator...
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Zcarmack16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shipshewana
Region: Indiana
Posts: 68
What does FFRP stand for?

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

FRPP*
Zcarmack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcarmack16 View Post
What does FFRP stand for?

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

FRPP*

Ford Racing Performance Part, I believe.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Yep^
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Malvern, PA
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Well damn. Few more questions while I'm here, I'll try to be brief. Note that I'm running a poop Bama tune for now until I get to a dyno or remote tune session.

Car idles around 850-900. Seems a little high. Also jerks from 0-5 mph (auto trans). Normal or just bad tune?

Sometimes at low speeds when its basically idling, I'll give it a little gas then let off, but RPMs may continue to climb or just hang there. I'm assuming this is just nature of aggressive cams... No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Reporting back in here. I was able to answer my own questions in my last post. Steeda finally sent me an updated tune and did a short run + datalog.

0-5 mph jerk is gone, smooth idle again. Idle is lower again around 750-800. RPMs don't hang upon letting off gas.

Still needs some refinement but Steeda tune beats Bama tune hands down... C'mon Bama I thought they got a new lead calibrator...

Hey Lucas - I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your tune. That's not the usual feedback that we get from Bama customers but I do appreciate your feedback! Did the Bama Performance team get a datalog set up for you? This will allow us to collect all of the data they'll need on your car to make sure that your tune is dialed in perfectly and that any issues are worked out.

If you'd like to have that set up we're happy to help. I'll gladly get you in contact with Bama's lead calibrator and he'll have you enjoying your Mustang in no time! I wish you were closer to us because we would get the Bama Guys to Dyno Tune your Mustang with you riding shotgun!
__________________
Alex Lazarus | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 1-866-363-4591
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Lucas - I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your tune. That's not the usual feedback that we get from Bama customers but I do appreciate your feedback! Did the Bama Performance team get a datalog set up for you? This will allow us to collect all of the data they'll need on your car to make sure that your tune is dialed in perfectly and that any issues are worked out.

If you'd like to have that set up we're happy to help. I'll gladly get you in contact with Bama's lead calibrator and he'll have you enjoying your Mustang in no time! I wish you were closer to us because we would get the Bama Guys to Dyno Tune your Mustang with you riding shotgun!
You'll get me in touch with who exactly? Paul? I'm currently back on Bama's tunes because despite Steeda's better drivability, it threw some codes today I didn't like.

When I was stock the 'new' Bama tunes seemed great for email tunes. I was disappointed when I got my Bama cam tune and everything was off.

No I have not sent in any datalogs to Bama yet, but I know how.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not My normal posting *PEOPLE COME INTO YOUR LIFE FOR A REASON* Herbstang The Bar 6 04-19-2006 03:54 PM
normal fox? oaktonarcher 1979-1995 Mustang GT 9 12-29-2005 05:57 PM
Loose clutch & Ford says it's normal WhiteThang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 02-21-2005 11:27 PM
Are these normal 1/4 times? MonteCitan 1996-2004 Mustang GT 13 12-11-2004 07:40 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:54 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.