Mustang Evolution Forum banner

H pipe vs x pipe vs straight pipe

15K views 100 replies 13 participants last post by  Cbird 
#1 ·
Well now that im done with my suspension im moving to the exhaust I got my long tube headers on the way but now I cant decide what mid pipe to go with Id appreciate any info on power gains and sound quality that you guys have. Ive only played with an x pipe once on a 01 gt

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
People seem to enjoy x pipes with straight through mufflers (mainly the Borla Stingers and Corsa sports) for the 3v 4.6.

Since you can't mid-mount chambered mufflers, like flowmasters, on these cars they don't sound that great and not many people run them. Consequently, not many people run H pipes since that's what chambered mufflers pair well with.

Just don't expect 2v sound, like your 01, out of the 3 valve. It cannot be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#9 ·
Ok sweet and the last one for you guys on this subject I think im going with pypes or pace setter long tube headers an h pipe any input on what type of exhaust? Will they make much difference?

#12 ·
The x pipe won't deliver a old school muscle car sound. It's an exotic sport car sound or a raspy tin can sound, depending on who you ask.

Longtubes, h pipe, and mid mount some sort of mufflers, and you will be pretty close to the sound you are wanting.

Is stay away from pacesetter though. Pypes are probably a safe buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#25 ·
So im one week away from getting my exhaust done I decided to go with hedman lt headers o/r h pipe " no cats" only delama im having is trying to decide if I shoukd have mufflers add or go straight pipe at the end

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.