2005 mustang c-clip eliminator kit and welding tubes to center section - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
2005 mustang c-clip eliminator kit and welding tubes to center section

I'm going to be installing a strange engineering c-clip eliminator kit as well as welding axle tubes to center section and straightening the axle.. if anyone is genuinely interested in the steps required to do these modifications I will take the time to take pictures and write the goods and bads.. if no one cares, good enough I won't bother cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I did both to my car, my only issue was getting the c-clip kit to seal on the brg plate. I cut an o-ring once and ended up using blue gasket maker to seal. Still great upgrade
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

did you do anything to assure that axle was straight after welding ? how long ago did you buy the c clip kit ? I heard they made a few changes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
No I didn't I just stitched it welding a quarter way around then 180 from that then 90 and so forth. I didn't put a lot of heat in it. I've had the kit maybe 5 years. I think it was not to long after they came out with it
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Would love to hear about your experience as you go forward since I am doing the same thing now except that in addition to welding the tubes and C-Clip Eliminators I am also shortening the housing 1" per side. Here we go....

The pieces - Strange Engineering kit, part number P3509F05S. The kit contains a 35 Spline Spool, assembled Axles with optional Reluctor Rings and Brake Caliper Mounts.

35 spline chrome-molly light weight spool.

Included with the axles are: Reluctor Rings, Bearing Sleeve / Reluctor Ring Adapters, Safetey Hub Outer Half, Axle Seal, Tapered Axle Bearing, Wedding Ring, Caliper Mount O-Ring and Wheel Studs. Shorter driver’s side axle on the left.

Brake Caliper Mounts, Driver’s side on the left part number A1098A, Passenger side on the right part number A1098B and the Hardware Kit used to fasten the Brake Caliper Mounts to the OEM Housing Ends. Note the provision for the OEM ABS Sensors in the Caliper Mounts.

Next up is preparing the housing ends to accept the Brake Caliper Mounts. It appears to be a little easier than it once was as the Caliper Mounts are designed to mate flush with the Backing Plate Register of the Housing. From searching some of the earlier C-Clip Eliminator install forum threads, earlier versions required that the Housing Snout be cut 1/16” from the Backing Plate Register.
But before I can cut the Housing Snout I need to remove the OEM Bearing and Seal. I have access to a suitable Axle Bearing Puller but need to beg borrow or steal a 5LB Slide Hammer.

Axle Seals and Bearings Removed
The OEM axle seals and bearings need to be removed in order to cut the ends off the axle tubes flush with the register. This is required for the C-Clip Eliminator kit.

OEM seal and bearing.

To remove the seals and bearings I used a 5lb Slide Hammer and Axel Bearing Puller.

Puller in position.

A few good slides on the hammer and out comes the seal and bearing. The OEM seal had a little sealer/glue on the back of the flange where it contacted the axel tube.

Was not sure on what the best method for cutting off the housing ends would be. In doing a little forum and web research could not find much on how it was done. I did find a Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford article where they were cut with a reciprocating saw with the housing still in the car. Well I do not have the necessary skills to cut a straight line in flat metal with a reciprocating saw so I can only imagine what cutting a tube would look like. That said it took me all of about 2 seconds to eliminate the reciprocating saw. So I broke out my trusty hacksaw and with a new 32 tooth blade for each side went to work. It actually did not take very long and the cuts were pretty straight since I was able to use the register for a guide.

Before.

A few passes with a file and a quick Dremel with a small stone to clean the burrs from the inside of the tubing and we are all ready for the axles.

Cut flush with the Register

Driver’s Side Brake Caliper Mount trail fitted.

Axel slipped in for a look see.

Dropped the housing off at LE Chassis Engineering for shortening and welding the axle tubes. Housing measured 60-1/4” going in and will measure 58-1/4” coming home.

When I went to pick up the housing Luciano still had the diff in his jig so I snapped a couple of cell phone pictures showing how the rod and “pucks” worked to ensure integrity during welding.

Back home and I took a few pictures of his handy work.

Driver’s side axle tube end.

Driver’s side tube welded.

Passenger’s side tube welded.

Passenger’s side tube end.

Housing was narrowed 1” per side and now measures 58-1/4"”

I would be pleased to answer any question you may have.

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

cool you saved me some work ! just noticed there was no how to on here so thought I would but you've nailed it... the only difference is I already own moser axles so I need to take some material off of the reluctor ring and I am going to be machining pucks and shaft for alignment jig.. looks good thx for posting pics for the forum ! I won't do a play by play write up but will snap a few pics along the way !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
2005 mustang