LT vs Shorties for a Convertible GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Region: Texas
LT vs Shorties for a Convertible GT

I can't decide what I want between Long tube or Shorty headers. I got a 09 GT Convertible which I ride topless about a good 70% of the time. I understand I get more HP out of LT but I'm worried about the sound. I live in Texas and they test for emission in my county so, I know the X pipe catted is going to help with the sound but some Youtube videos have me worried. I don't take my ride to the drag strip, I just like to have fun with my daily driver. These are my current mods: bbk tb, CAI, Bama tune, pulleys, flowmaster axel back, strut brace, brake upgrades, 4.10 gears. Do shorties have any HP improvements (BBK claims a 10 HP increase, i'm sure anything is better than stock right) whats so ever and any way to decrease sound from LT's?

I'm a novice so any advice would be beneficial!!
drago02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have neither long tubes or shortys for the same reason. I can't increase the noise of my car, So long tubes are out. But in my own personal situation I can't justify spending the money on a part that won't really do much besides change the sound a little, just my opinion. To my knowledge the shortys add no power or a negligible amount. I'm unaware of a way to quite down the long tube, but that would be great. Hopefully someone else can chip in and give you more information. I'm also fairly new to this.

It's all about the smiles per gallon
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago02 View Post
I can't decide what I want between Long tube or Shorty headers. I got a 09 GT Convertible which I ride topless about a good 70% of the time. I understand I get more HP out of LT but I'm worried about the sound. I live in Texas and they test for emission in my county so, I know the X pipe catted is going to help with the sound but some Youtube videos have me worried. I don't take my ride to the drag strip, I just like to have fun with my daily driver. These are my current mods: bbk tb, CAI, Bama tune, pulleys, flowmaster axel back, strut brace, brake upgrades, 4.10 gears. Do shorties have any HP improvements (BBK claims a 10 HP increase, i'm sure anything is better than stock right) whats so ever and any way to decrease sound from LT's?

A milder muffler would help a lot as far as noise is considered

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago02 View Post

Hey Drago,

I completely understand your dilemma and I get why the longtubes are off the table.

I have heard nothing but good news about the BBK Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers and I would recommend them going off what you are looking for.

They will free up a few horsepower, sound great, and install fairly easily.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you want to maximize power I would get long tubes and a milder set of mufflers ( like magnaflow streets). That will give you the power while reducing sound.

I am in the same boat as i can't justify spending the money on shorties for little to no gain.

Another thing to consider is while people do pass emissions with LTs that if you get a detailed inspector it will fail as relocating the cats is illegal in most states although I believe that may be a federal law as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #6

I've decided to go with the LT and then have my local muffler shop add some performance resonators and maybe change out the mufflers from the flowmaster thunder axel back to something milder. I haven't looked into it but i'll wait till after I get the LT and see how loud it really gets then dial down from there. As for the inspection, I found a local shop that told me not to worry about it lol
Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I heard all shorty and stock header manifolds have a sharp bend in the pipes and real restrict air flow at 350hp. The only way to really free up the exhaust from this restriction is to get the longtubes which eliminate this. "Bending" though shorties do offer a very small amount of hp, you will see a big hp gain from longtubes and a good sound!

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #8

Just wanted to put up a update. I went with the BBK LT ceramic with catted Xpipe with my Flowemaster Axel back and the sound is not to bad with the top down. The sound is awesome when exhilarating plus the extra power is awesome. I should've done this upgrade along time ago.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would get shorties if you want something easy to install and pass emissions but LT if you want more power just be aware you might get checked and told to take them off
jedisaias is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT