Muffler Position and its effect on sound? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Gotcha!

I couldn't find a catted H pipe for these cars so I went with the BBK catted X. Thinking about having my shop turn it into a H for me..

You can get just the s-type mufflers from jegs ( and probably other places) for a little discount over the axle back. Not to mention the labor you will save by not having the shop chop em up.

Is trumpeting when the exhaust goes "Bwwaaa"? If so, my pypes off-road H does that too.. :p Surprisingly, my catted X doesn't make that sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'm glad I'm not alone. There are NO quality O/R h-pipes for our 3v's. I went with Pypes and spent more money fixing it than what I paid for it (in the span on 3 long months too).

I looked at the BBK catted x but turned it down when I saw it was aluminized and not stainless. I've got my eye on the JBA catted x.

I asked Borla and the S-Types for our 'stangs are specifically tuned for the 3v. Am I gullible, maybe. Am I very particular? Yes. I did the math and I think if I sold my S-Type axle-backs and bought a new cat-back it'd be cheaper (for my application) + new shiny hardware is always nice.

Trumpeting apparently only happens with O/R pipes and shorty headers. Any cats/resonators will muffle it. Basically it only happens for a split second while shifting gears (the worst on autos). Going from a loud bwaaa to a mellow rumble. Sounds like a loud trumpet/fart.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
A properly hung ProChamber is KING midpipe if using hi-flow cats or catless downpipes.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Muffler Position and its effect on sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone. There are NO quality O/R h-pipes for our 3v's. I went with Pypes and spent more money fixing it than what I paid for it (in the span on 3 long months too).

I looked at the BBK catted x but turned it down when I saw it was aluminized and not stainless. I've got my eye on the JBA catted x.

I asked Borla and the S-Types for our 'stangs are specifically tuned for the 3v. Am I gullible, maybe. Am I very particular? Yes. I did the math and I think if I sold my S-Type axle-backs and bought a new cat-back it'd be cheaper (for my application) + new shiny hardware is always nice.

Trumpeting apparently only happens with O/R pipes and shorty headers. Any cats/resonators will muffle it. Basically it only happens for a split second while shifting gears (the worst on autos). Going from a loud bwaaa to a mellow rumble. Sounds like a loud trumpet/fart.

Yeah.. I really wanted a good H pipe too but the market seems to be breaking away from that. X pipe is the new king I guess.

The aluminized pipes do kind of suck, I'm a little worried about rust. I'm guessing that was your concern as well? I really wanted a cheap "merged" pipe and the BBK delivered. I'm not a big fan of the "stamped" x pipes.

Oh yeah my H does that during certain rpm shifts. Sometimes it sounds cool and mean, sometimes it just sounds like a big fart depending on where my rpms are when I shift.

I think I have a leak on my pypes H by the way.. I've been "fixing" it for a year now haha

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Yeah.. I really wanted a good H pipe too but the market seems to be breaking away from that. X pipe is the new king I guess.

The aluminized pipes do kind of suck, I'm a little worried about rust. I'm guessing that was your concern as well? I really wanted a cheap "merged" pipe and the BBK delivered. I'm not a big fan of the "stamped" x pipes.

Oh yeah my H does that during certain rpm shifts. Sometimes it sounds cool and mean, sometimes it does da like a big fart depending on where my rpms are when I shift.

I think I have a leak on my pypes H by the way.. I've been "fixing" it for a year now haha

Unfortunately. Yep rust and that's exactly what trumpeting is/what I was trying to get out. Haha I wish the carbon buildup was an easy fix to it
Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #40

Region: Louisiana
Muffler Position and its effect on sound?

I own a 2005 Mustang GT, manual shift, 4.6 engine, I moved my mufflers to roughly mid body, I'm an old guy and I just couldn't get used to the spitting, cracking, popping sound the stock exhaust made when I took my foot off of the accelerator, the muffler move fixed it, the extra pipe behind the muffler added a great resonance to the lower frequencies, a nice deep old school sound. I got the idea from a friend with a ford truck that sounded great, same engine, the only difference was where the mufflers were positioned. As an after thought, I may have been able to accomplish the same thing by adding a resonator behind the cats and just left everything else the same, too late for me to try.
HGoodhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The position of the muffler, and the amount of pipe behind it will always affect the sound. Exhaust moves in pulses. Sound waves are created by cylinder detonation. Those sound waves are also travelling in pulses. By moving the muffler, you are essentially tuning the exhaust, much like one would tune an instrument.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #42
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Mud learned something new!....it does sound right (intended) but I never thought of it.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Mud learned something new!....it does sound right (intended) but I never thought of it.
I explained it in musician terms.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
-Reinforcing how the use of a ProChamber midpipe with very aggressive mufflers located at the stock location gives you the perfect tone and proven increase in flow and horsepower after re-tuning on a dyno.
Contacting your local Mustang specialty dyno shop would provide more input to contemplate.
YouTube has plenty of ProChamber videos for all platforms to consider also.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Different exhaust tip diameter and length also change the tone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT