Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Muffler Position and its effect on sound?

33K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 ·
I am debating getting a small muffler like flowmaster super 10s like another guy mentioned in a previous thread. These can be mounted as a mid or rear muffler. So two questions. 1) What effect does the muffler placement have on sound? 2) What is the muffler placements effect on drone?

Anyone know? :confused:

#2 ·
Mid-mounting is deeper and it makes the exhaust sound like it's coming from the pit of your engine vs actually coming from your tailpipes. It's pretty noticeable but it's not going to make or break a setup for you.

What I'm trying to say is if you like the way a midpipe/muffler combo sounds mid-mounted you won't hate it if it's mounted behind the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you sir. That is exactly what I am wanting a deeper Idol and louder exhaust note overall. I am doing this more for sound since I still have my stock cats not for performance so much.

what I was most concerned with is if I would notice a difference in sound between mounting them in the center of the car or at the rear of the car

#11 · (Edited)
Update! I will shoot a video as soon as I find a place with open road over these next few days. I live in big city so. The super 10s drone VERY bad on every highway I may move to the super 44s. I will make a video of the super 10s before I do though. They sound AMAZING but the highway drone is killin me lol

I did NOT mid mount them. The guy at the shop said I couldnt with the stock mid pipe. There was not enough room. He said he would have to hand craft a new H pipe and new pipes starting at the cats running to the 10s to do it. That would have been to costly. SO anyone wanting to mid mount super 10s keep this in mind.

#13 ·
Ive been using flowmaster outlaws axle backs and they sound ****ing amazing. But i was wondering if it might be possible to mid mount them if you cut off the tips and welded them up right. Anyone think it might be possible?

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#34 · (Edited)
That's mounted behind the axle? That sounds really good and I'm not really one who cares for flowmasters on these cars... Too bad they drone really bad for ya, eh?

Edit: just saw you will be keeping those mufflers, despite the drone. I have to say I would agree with that call :)

#35 · (Edited)
That's mounted behind the axle? That sounds really good and I'm not really one who cares for flowmasters on these cars... Too bad they drone really bad, eh?

yes it is rear mounted. I made a new thread to help ppl looking into Flows. The drone is not unbearable. Its also only at 70mph+ mainly bec I have an auto. These 4.6s do not drone like the 5.0s do really. IMO

Link to new thread
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f256/t364280/

#40 ·
I own a 2005 Mustang GT, manual shift, 4.6 engine, I moved my mufflers to roughly mid body, I'm an old guy and I just couldn't get used to the spitting, cracking, popping sound the stock exhaust made when I took my foot off of the accelerator, the muffler move fixed it, the extra pipe behind the muffler added a great resonance to the lower frequencies, a nice deep old school sound. I got the idea from a friend with a ford truck that sounded great, same engine, the only difference was where the mufflers were positioned. As an after thought, I may have been able to accomplish the same thing by adding a resonator behind the cats and just left everything else the same, too late for me to try.

#41 ·
The position of the muffler, and the amount of pipe behind it will always affect the sound. Exhaust moves in pulses. Sound waves are created by cylinder detonation. Those sound waves are also travelling in pulses. By moving the muffler, you are essentially tuning the exhaust, much like one would tune an instrument.

#44 ·
-Reinforcing how the use of a ProChamber midpipe with very aggressive mufflers located at the stock location gives you the perfect tone and proven increase in flow and horsepower after re-tuning on a dyno.
Contacting your local Mustang specialty dyno shop would provide more input to contemplate.
YouTube has plenty of ProChamber videos for all platforms to consider also. :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.