1/4 mile drag strip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1/4 mile drag strip

So im hitting the strip for the first time in april, I have about a 1k-1500 budget for mods from now till then currently the car is pretty bone stock except for the exhaust set up ill be installing this weekend. And some sway bars I have on. So I have two questions

1. What should I upgrade first that will make a difference on race day?

2. Is there Any tips or techniques I should know or learn by then?

Agin thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app
509pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
A good tune...and some suspension mods will yield good results

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking of getting a bama tuner and then upgrading the suspension with what I had left but I wasnt sure if I should go engine first or suspension. I do have a set of sr springs I haven't put on yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Fat sticky tires, 4:10 gears, a good tune, and lower control arms.

With those you will do great. Practice launching in a back road so you don't just sit there spinning and you will do fine

With your budget I would go tune, gears, tires, control arms. In that order.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
A few tips that work pretty good

If you are on "STREET TIRES" Do NOT run through the water Wet street tires are not what you want.

If your car is like mine, You may have a tire pump in the trunk and not a spare. Just inflate the front tires to about 45 PSI and lower the rears to about 28 or 30 PSI.

Mine is an Automatic and what I do is when the light turns green I just push the throttle down briskly to get the car moving before slamming it to the floor. I also just use "DRIVE" and it shifts at red line without hitting the limiter.

If I had a stick I would slip the clutch a tad to get moving before letting it go and slamming the throttle. Other guys that drag with A stick should give you better advice then me. I used to drag with sticks but found automatics just work much better in drag racing.

The big thing is to have fun and enjoy it. Let us know how you do.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Should I have a separate set of tires for the track or is there a set I can use on a day to day bases

Old 02-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509pony View Post
Should I have a separate set of tires for the track or is there a set I can use on a day to day bases

There are many tires that are sticky and can be driven in the street. You don't have to have slicks or anything

I like my Bridgestone Potenza's. They are a "all season" (more like three season) tire.

Mickey Thompson and nitto also make tires that are sticky but street-able.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Am I going to need fron and back control arms? Ill deffeinetly be getting some gears I have to change out the gasket on my differential so I might as well do im thinking motive or ford racing

Old 02-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just did the lower control arms, not the uppers. The uppers are probably very helpful but they are hard to install and with only ~350 hp and 4:10's I don't really need them.

That would defiantly be a good time to install the gears

Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I would focus on suspension before horsepower upgrades if you are wanting to race. Your car will perform better if you do it this way. Lower control arms are a must. Upper not as much but will help. A gear is also a good idea. I would also recommend you get a driveshaft safety loop.It won't make it go faster but could save it from a lot of damage if the driveshaft breaks. Also if a track does tech inspection one is required by NHRA rules on cars 13.99 and quicker. As far as technique i would concentrate on hitting your shift points and launching consistently. Then work on reaction time. Leave on the last amber light and you'll do fine. Have fun good luck and be safe. Oh and you will need a helmet too
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

ok so i think this is what I'm going to go with bama itsx wireless tuner motive 4.10 gears upper and lower control arms not sure witch ones. A panhard bar and if i have enough some koni shocks and struts

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A fat girl, and a bunch of stickers from Auto Zone you will be good to go with that and a flat biller hat

I would look at tires, weight reduction, and just spend time getting to know the car. If you have money get a CAI, a tune, and then gears in 4.10.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Go with a separate set of slicks and rims.
slicks are much more forgiving on the suspension .
with a slick than drag radials.
Go with a stiff sidewall slick .but upper and probably lower control arms first.
If you can't hook it no point in putting more power to it .

12.30 @111mph

For Sale ?
AcmeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Definitely suspension first, as well as gears. That seems to be the best way to go first.
Randomhero82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Gears and a tuner is the best bang for your buck mod you can do. You get what feels like instant HP gain because the gears put more torque to the ground faster. You'll get a bit more HP, throttle response, and MPG (depending on what gear you select and how heavy your foot is LOL). You also have the ability to make changes based on what wheel and tires size you put on your stang. That will keep your speedo accurate. And like someone said in another post on here, I'd go with a seperate set of slicks and slap them on when you get to the track. You might be able to drive there if it's not far and the police aren't tough. I wouldn't do any suspension mods until I found out what she can do stock. Why buy something that you may not need to suit your thrills?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Gears and a tuner is the best bang for your buck mod you can do. You get what feels like instant HP gain because the gears put more torque to the ground faster. You'll get a bit more HP, throttle response, and MPG (depending on what gear you select and how heavy your foot is LOL). You also have the ability to make changes based on what wheel and tires size you put on your stang. That will keep your speedo accurate. And like someone said in another post on here, I'd go with a seperate set of slicks and slap them on when you get to the track. You might be able to drive there if it's not far and the police aren't tough. I wouldn't do any suspension mods until I found out what she can do stock. Why buy something that you may not need to suit your thrills?
Thanks i know i want a tuner for sure just since im having an o/r h pipe installed and i need to replace the gaskets on my differential so i mighty as welll replace the gears riiiight lol but as far any mods go i think ill wait after the show and see 8f thats even my thing. I think i will add some koni struts since i alll ready have lowering springs sitting around in my trunk.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT