Driveline vibration - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Driveline vibration

So the other day I took my car for a ride. And noticed that it has a vibration under a load. I can't recall of it's always done it. Or if it just started. I recently changed to 4.30 gears and completely rebuilt the carrier. When I'm driving in any gear at about any speed I can feel the vibration, but if I put it in neutral while coasting, no more vibration. I have no gear whine and everything came into recommended specs on the gear swap.
The car had really bad wheel hop after the install and I think it's do to the stock upper control arm. The lowers are aftermarket but pretty old. Other mods include poly motor mounts, chromoly flywheel, stage 3 clutch, and rebuilt motor. I could any advice as where to start before I begin pulling the car back apart. Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Driveline vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197Miller View Post
So the other day I took my car for a ride. And noticed that it has a vibration under a load. I can't recall of it's always done it. Or if it just started. I recently changed to 4.30 gears and completely rebuilt the carrier. When I'm driving in any gear at about any speed I can feel the vibration, but if I put it in neutral while coasting, no more vibration. I have no gear whine and everything came into recommended specs on the gear swap.
The car had really bad wheel hop after the install and I think it's do to the stock upper control arm. The lowers are aftermarket but pretty old. Other mods include poly motor mounts, chromoly flywheel, stage 3 clutch, and rebuilt motor. I could any advice as where to start before I begin pulling the car back apart. Thanks.

My rear u-joint (I don't know if rear is the right term, I mean the one the attaches to the differential - not the trans) went bad shortly after doing my gear swap. Judging by your mods and clear understanding of cars, I'm willing to bet you have already thought of this and cleared it as a possibility though. I wasn't quite as smart and it took me awhile to track it down. :p

Does you car shake when you're in gear and coasting? At 35? 55? Or does the shaking only occur during acceleration?

If you can get it to shake when your just coasting it would have to be a driveline error. In my cases with vibrations it's always been relative to driveshaft problems(any speed) or poorly aligned wheels (higher speeds).

Edit: once I had a bad transmission brace/crossmember that had sunken in allowing the transmission to move around under load and causes the car to shake pretty bad. Might be worth checking that out, if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
My rear u-joint (I don't know if rear is the right term, I mean the one the attaches to the differential - not the trans) went bad shortly after doing my gear swap. Judging by your mods and clear understanding of cars, I'm willing to bet you have already thought of this and cleared it as a possibility though. I wasn't quite as smart and it took me awhile to track it down. :p

Does you car shake when you're in gear and coasting? At 35? 55? Or does the shaking only occur during acceleration?

If you can get it to shake when your just coasting it would have to be a driveline error. In my cases with vibrations it's always been relative to driveshaft problems(any speed) or poorly aligned wheels (higher speeds).

Edit: once I had a bad transmission brace/crossmember that had sunken in allowing the transmission to move around under load and causes the car to shake pretty bad. Might be worth checking that out, if you haven't already.

I can coast in any gear and feel vibrations. But as soon as I push in the clutch it goes away. Now that I think about it. When I push in the clutch I wait for the rpms to go down and it goes away. But if I put it in gear with no throttle, it comes right back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Yeah it's defiantly a driveline issue then. It's not a wicked misfire or bad motor mounts.

I'd get under the car and give the driveshaft a good yank. If you feel any excessive play you got a bad u-joint. You'll know if it's excessive, trust me :p

That's where I would start, at least.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Yeah it's defiantly a driveline issue then. It's not a wicked misfire or bad motor mounts.

I'd get under the car and give the driveshaft a good yank. If you feel any excessive play you got a bad u-joint. You'll know if it's excessive, trust me :p

That's where I would start, at least.

No it feels nothing like a mis fire. It's almost like a hum that I can feel in my seat and on the floor board. It's not a shake or even an insane vibration. Just something small that I haven't noticed before. I guess I will drive it tonight and try out a few different speeds and gears and pedal position to try and narrw it down. I just hope its not anything in the motor. I don't even have 300 miles on this fresh build.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It goes away by being in neutral? When I had gears done the retards didn't line up the deiveshaft back in its balanced position and after a certain speed I had a hum/vibration..got under the car and found that the balance marks from the factory were a complete 180 degrees off...that shop lost my confidence after that

gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The fact that this happened after you had gears installed points to the driveline. Before disassembly the tech is supposed to mark the u joints where it connects the pinion to the driveline to ensure everything stays in phase. If its not visible when you look under the vehicle like suggested by gqsmash then you will have to rotate it a quarter of a turn and drive it to find out what position gives you less vibration

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clinesr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Update: I drove the car last night. Took it through a series of test to figure things out.
1. It does vibrate in neutral at a stop. Not as bad though.
2. It vibrates worse at 2500rpms.
3. The vibration goes away after 3000rpms.
4. It vibrates in ever gear.
Also my slave cylinder makes a rattle noise when I'm stopped in neutral and have my foot off the clutch.
I don't think it's in the rear end or driveshaft because it does it in ever gear including neutral.
I wonder if my slave cylinders bearing is destroyed. After the gear swap I had some pretty nasty wheel hop in 2nd and 3rd gear. So I'm thinking I should probably pull the transmission and take a look and most likely replace the slack cylinder.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Are you sure the slave cylinder was bleed correctly? And if not you may have to upgrade the slave cylinder line to a steel braded high pressure one sence the clutch you have is aftermarket

clinesr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinesr22 View Post
Are you sure the slave cylinder was bleed correctly? And if not you may have to upgrade the slave cylinder line to a steel braded high pressure one sence the clutch you have is aftermarket

The slave cylinder is self bleeding. Just pump it about a billion times. And the pressure on the clutch feels nice and tight. I also have upgrade to a steel braided line.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT