Should I buy an s197? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which
S197 21 91.30%
C5 1 4.35%
Gto 0 0%
Dodge stealth 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #71
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
A classic awd mustang...
What will they think of next...
Brilliant...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #72
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Why race when you can just do track days.

I was into doing some tracking. ( Not Racing) but you get out on a track and go for it. It is expensive but worth the $$$$ for the sheer fun you can have on a racetrack. I don't do it anymore but I still remember how much fun it was and the great people you meet.
My last track club was the Florida Audi Club. I joined up with them when I had my Corvette. ( I could not stand the Corvette owners in the Corvette club) My next car was my Mini John Cooper Works edition. I just stayed with the Audi Club because I made a lot of friends with the Porsche & Audi owners. All great friendly people.
My advice is to find a club that is into renting tracks for club events. It may cost you up to $400.00 for a weekend of tracking at the large tracks like Daytona And Homestead but it is more fun then you can imagine.

Of course you will need to pay an instructor the first few or more times you go out until you get turned loose to drive SOLO.

Check with the Sports Car Club of America fo information on clubs in your area.

Now I just do some car shows and cruises. Getting old sick & broke "SUCKS"
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I am going to look into some track days this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #74
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Should I buy an s197?

You can find some pretty good deals. I just signed up for a track day at Thunderhill Raceway. It's their smaller 1.9 mile course, and you get 5 20 minute sessions.... cost $150. It's on April 4th

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Should I buy an s197?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You can find some pretty good deals. I just signed up for a track day at Thunderhill Raceway. It's their smaller 1.9 mile course, and you get 5 20 minute sessions.... cost $150. It's on April 4th

Bullitts are better than Bullets

That actually sounds like a great deal! Unfortunately I'm on the East Coast but I just checked out Summit Point raceway which is less than 2 hrs away. They do something similar called Friday at the track and its $250.00 but I would pay that I'm going to look into it some more.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #76
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Have you driven a c5? They're garbage. Either get the gto or s197, but I would go ford as long as we're talking 5.0, otherwise the gto would take the cake.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Know what the difference is between a Corvette and a Jackass?
A Jackass has the prick on the outside.`
You don't want a corvette man, Mustang people are way cooler.
A Corvette says "I'm better than you" a Mustang says, "I'm a car guy, lets have some fun."

This is awesome.

Sent
txffmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #78
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Know what the difference is between a Corvette and a Jackass?
A Jackass has the prick on the outside.`
You don't want a corvette man, Mustang people are way cooler.
A Corvette says "I'm better than you" a Mustang says, "I'm a car guy, lets have some fun."
You have that joke all wrong. It's:::
"What's the difference between a bmw and a porcupine?
The porcupine has the pricks on the outside."
Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Disagree 100% the corvette guys are always cool. The mustang scene is full of a bunch of dumb ****s. Main reason I'm getting out of it and swapping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Why would you let other people make a decision for you? Sale your car because a few mustang drivers are dummy's? Who's to say some
Corvette guys aren't dummy's? You gonna switch again? It's never ends.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #80
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Why would you let other people make a decision for you? Sale your car because a few mustang drivers are dummy's? Who's to say some
Corvette guys aren't dummy's? You gonna switch again? It's never ends.

Exactly. There will always be guys on whatever forum you are on that will rub you the wrong way. It's just like in life. You can't just run from it. Your best bet is to just make inner peace and be happy with what you have. I have had 28 cars and I'm 32 and I'm on over 40 car forums (verified on my last birthday) and while there are some forums that are much more satisfying, don't let bad forums destroy an enjoyable car. I'm sure the saturn community is full of nice people, but would you really want to drive a saturn? Same thing in retrospect could be stated here.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
OP, I actually am trying to sell my 06' GT with 37k miles lol. It is an auto, shut up auto haters, and is cleaner than a pin.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
UB2PED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

S197 over a heavy goat any day. Now by c5 if you mean c5z06 with low miles then yes you should drive both and choose wisely.
Raeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB2PED View Post
OP, I actually am trying to sell my 06' GT with 37k miles lol. It is an auto, shut up auto haters, and is cleaner than a pin.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Nothing wrong with an automatic. All the fastest 1/4 milers are autos.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Honestly I'd go with the vette. Faster, littler better gas mileage, and to me it's an overall better car. Don't get me wrong, I love my s197. But if I had the chance to get a vette instead, I'd definitely go with that

2007 Mustang GT. Torch red. Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers. O/R H-pipes. Steeda CAI.
Flying_Filipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #85
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don't ever think A Corvette is a better car

I had a 1998 and the Engine, Transmission, Rear, and what I'm saying is the complete stuff that makes it go is really 100% great. Fast and a lot of torque.

The rest of the car is """CRAP""" Drivers seat bolster wore out fast, Car had rattles you would not believe when it got cold out. Run Flat tires were really bad and had to be replaced right away.
Oil pressure sender is under the intake manifold $5.00 part $125.00 to have it changed.
Drivers side window stopped working $1,600 for repair.
Column Locked up !st time Warranty Recall-2nd time If I remember $600+ dollars.
Air conditioner repair $3,500 or maybe more to repair. ( Traded in the junk at this point.
The worst part of it all was the Corvette Club I joined were filled with 90% a-Holes.

I'll keep my Mustang, I get to hang with a lot better group of people and the Mustang clubs do way more things.
Corvettes seem to be owned by rich snobs that rarely drive them. Oh! Never if it looks like it's gonna rain.
I would not trade My Mustang for any late model Corvette, A 1967 427 convertible would be the only one I would want. Red with Black and A/C would probably get me to trade.
I just went to a Ford/Mustang show today Feb.28th. and although it was raining off & on all day long, About 200 or so Mustangs were there along with Fords. It was nice to see great looking Mustangs out in the rain and being used. That just don't happen with Corvette people.
Corvettes "FASTER" You bet some of them are. Better Ain't no way in he$$.
Ronnie
Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #86
Registered Member

Regular

Where in the world did you repair a window and your a/c?

Adventure till you drop
Old 03-01-2015, 06:48 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

What he says above is typical GM I was a GM guy who finally had enough and realized my next one would not be any better. What he says is what I have experienced with the last 4 that I owned. Anybody who says a GM is reliable is out of their mind! My problems with GM began in 2002 and ended in 2010 and they owe me if they ever expect me to buy another of their products ever again! My anger runs deep with them!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Should I buy an s197?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
What he says above is typical GM I was a GM guy who finally had enough and realized my next one would not be any better. What he says is what I have experienced with the last 4 that I owned. Anybody who says a GM is reliable is out of their mind! My problems with GM began in 2002 and ended in 2010 and they owe me if they ever expect me to buy another of their products ever again! My anger runs deep with them!

Everything about a corvette is expensive to repair. That being said mustang gt's do not hold much of their value they are a dime a dozen. The only exception I could imagine are the new gt's with the coyote motors.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Everything about a corvette is expensive to repair. That being said mustang gt's do not hold much of their value they are a dime a dozen. The only exception I could imagine are the new gt's with the coyote motors.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

True mustangs are a dime a dozen but that's also the reason a lot of people can afford them. Lower production means higher prices. If your worried about resale find one of the "Specialty Mustangs" they hold their value a lot better.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Lol you see what I drive I went into buying this car knowing it would not hold value but I also plan on owning it for a very long time. This is my 4th mustang so I know how it goes when it comes time to sell. It is a great thing that we can get so much performance for a reasonable price unlike many other manufacturers.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #91
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It was what the liar say's is :

Florida's #1 largest best Chevy dealer. I won't mention the name but does "DAYTONA BEACH" ring a bell. How about J.H. ????

When I went in with the Window problem I knew what it was. The wire(Cable) probably stretched) and came off the pulley. I actually told them what I thought was wrong.
They took the car into the shop, About an hour later the Service Lady came out and informed me that they put a new regulator on and it still would not work so it would be another hour or so. She came out again and said it was not the regulator but the pulley system that had to be totally replaced.They had it in stock and it would be another hour or more.
I finely got my car back and a bill for not only the whole Pulley system but the regulator too. Along with the labor which was totally extortion. I asked why they did not just put my regulator back on but was told it was an electric part and could not be returned. A little over $1,600 later I got my car back. I did call GM to complain but all They wanted to do is give me a certificate for $500.00 off if I decided to buy any GM car. BIG F_N deal.

That was not even as bad as when I had to pay for what they already was supposed to have been fixed under a recall on the Column Lock problem and failed again. If you say you love Corvettes and never heard of the dangerous "COLUMN Lock Problem From 1997 to about 1999 you are not very well informed on Corvettes or how GM does not much care about fixing a dangerous design flaw until the Government made them. Then they just did not do the recall properly and only fixed it properly when you had to come back in again and pay for a tow and the work done over.

I would not trade my 2012 V6 automatic Mustang for ten new Corvettes. ( Maybe I would if I could find ten morons to buy them so I could buy my Mustang back.)

My Ford dealer is just about 100% perfect and every time I go to get my oil changed or a tire rotation my guy I ask for always checks everything, Asks me if I have any problems and is very careful with my car. He even lets me wipe off the inside of my wheels while it is on the lift. Not only a great car but a good dealer too.

Oh ! there is another Chevy dealer that I paid the $39.95 to have nitrogen put in my tires when I had the Mini. The kid could hardly drive a stick. I was not allowed in the area so When standing at the doorway watching him pull my mini half way on to a lift and open my car door against the lift pole. I screamed so bad that everybody came running because they thought I was gonna kill the idiot kid. I made them let me tale the car to the Mini dealer to get the dent repaired and gave them the bill. It was fixed in one day. I think they just used a dent doctor. I went to the movies and my car was repaired when I got back. The Bill was $125.00 which the Chevy dealer did pay.
From then on when I went to get my tires checked and filled at that dealer, They let me drive it in and out of the shop.
They are a lot better the the crook dealer but still hire Min wage idiots to do the non- mechanical stuff.

I'll just stick with my Mustang.
Ronnie
Old 03-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've decided on an s197. Mostly because I'm just ford loyal at this point. I've had a couple camaros and then I bought my 96 gt, the gt has been a much better car. I test drove an 07 gt a week or so ago,it's so much better than my sn95 lol

Also to add to the convo, a lot of car guys are jackasses, no matter what brand.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #93
Registered Member

Regular

So any idea on what s197 you're looking for? Color, trans, mods, model?

Adventure till you drop
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Red, white, or black on the color most likely. Auto trans probably. I'm pretty open. It will def be a gt.

The main thing I'll be looking for is that it will be mod free or damn close. It will be this summer before I buy but I will update the thread when I make the purchase.

The main reason I've decided s197 over the vette is because of the reasons mentioned above, I use to be a gm guy but the ones I've owned we're plagued with issues. That plus I'm not spending more than 13k. Vettes in that price range have a little higher mileage than I want, even it's just a weekend car.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Red, white, or black on the color most likely. Auto trans probably. I'm pretty open. It will def be a gt.

The main thing I'll be looking for is that it will be mod free or damn close. It will be this summer before I buy but I will update the thread when I make the purchase.

The main reason I've decided s197 over the vette is because of the reasons mentioned above, I use to be a gm guy but the ones I've owned we're plagued with issues. That plus I'm not spending more than 13k. Vettes in that price range have a little higher mileage than I want, even it's just a weekend car.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #95
Registered Member

Regular

Those are all good colors for our cars. Personally, I think white, but there are a lot of good colors out there. The first modern mustang I almost bought was a grabber orange.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426008974.838856.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	177110
It's such a great color for that body style, same goes for vista blue...

Adventure till you drop
Old 03-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

I love my 07 grabber orange GT. It looks great with black accented parts.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Can't go wrong with black. Unless you count washing it over and over.
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

That orange doesn't look bad at all. If I ran up on one I would def consider it.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
A friend of mine just bought a 2007 Grabber Orange GT convertible. He can't wait to get it out of storage. He bought it in January and stored it where I have one of my cars and hasn't seen it since.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys I'm officially set on an 11-14 coyote. I've found one here locally for 23k, 2012, auto and leather. The only problem I have is its got almost 56k miles. Is the price too high or about right? I'm thinking I can get them down a little as wont be financing, but I've never bought from a dealer so I really don't know

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427074908.034224.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	178130

I also don't know if the car will be there in a week when I officially have my funds together.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #101
Registered Member

Regular

Pretty good looking car. I don't think the miles are very high for its age.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #102
Registered Member

Regular

Should I buy an s197?

I say go for it but don't take to long deciding...
I did on a terminator and it was gone when I brought the cash with me a couple days later...

Adventure till you drop
Old 03-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #103

Region: Wisconsin
Get it for 20k. If you get the cash.

Vicious Mustang: Racing aluminum heads. Professional products lower and upper intake. 75mm throttle body. trickflow stage 1 cam. PYPES headers, h pipe, exhaust. T5z transmission. Spec stage 1 clutch. 4.10 gears. Tubular lower control arms. Powerdyne supercharger 42lb injectors @9psi.
Vicious5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Vicious-I was thinking I could probably get it for around 20-21k cash but that's just guessing. I hope that's the case.

Oxford-I was hoping to find something under 30k miles, but I've never owned anything with under 100k miles so this car would feel pretty new to me. Hell I haven't put 56k miles on my dd since I bought it over 4 years ago. Lol

Recon-I hope it's there, but if it isn't ill find another. Like I said it will be a week before I can actually get serious.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.koonssilverspringford.com...a0be92e17f.htm brand new one maybe last one around!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT