TR-3650 fluid debate - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
TR-3650 fluid debate

There seems to be a big ball of confusion around what fluid type to use in these transmissions. Just curious what everyone's running. I'm probably gonna just run nonsynthetic atf. Just want some opinions and stories of what everyone else has done. Thanks.
mikepolyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepolyak View Post
There seems to be a big ball of confusion around what fluid type to use in these transmissions. Just curious what everyone's running. I'm probably gonna just run nonsynthetic atf. Just want some opinions and stories of what everyone else has done. Thanks.
The main debate is wether or not royal purple is bad. Tremec says possibly Royal purple says no. Lol I went with Tremecs opinion personally. I'm running red line I believe

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have been running Amsoil fully synthetic for over a year with no issues

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I use royal purples synchromax in my 05 and my 08 TR3650 because it's easily the smoothest shifting fluid ive found, by far. Sooooo many miles on my 05 and still no issues.

It was brought to my attention by a mod on this forum that the synchromax could "eat away" at the internals of the tr3650 so I decided to research it.

Royal purple said its fine. It won't damage it at all.

Tremec said " we haven't tested that fluid" and refused to comment on weather or not it was good or bad.

There is no conclusive evidence that synchromax is bad for our trans. It's just an old myth thats rooted in speculation. If you're still worried though synchroMESH is a close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mobil 1.
My transmission is still pretty "notchy" going into second, when it is cold, but as soon as it warms up a bit, it shifts beautifully.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I've been running Mobile 1 ATF in mine (04 Mach 1) for a few years. It's been okay up to this point, better than when I tried Royal Purple. I'm going to try Pennzoil Synchromesh that most have been suggestion here on ME. After running two types of synthetic on this tranny, I feel like the older 3650's don't like synthetic so much. I'll report back when I change it out.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Nice thread necro Redline Atf has been good to me so far
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Syncrhomesh is like mother's milk for the 3650. 3.2 quarts in the 04-down transmissions. People who complain about the notchy 3650s either got a bad one or were using **** fluid. I had a fresh rebuilt one with the Synchromesh and it was super smooth and nailed every shift at 6k.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Pennzoil synchromesh helped my transmission for a little bit. But its still a beat to crap transmission with 150k on it. Time for a new one.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Pennzoil synchromesh helped my transmission for a little bit. But its still a beat to crap transmission with 150k on it. Time for a new one.
Or a 99-01 style T45 for smoother shifting.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
02 with a 3650. ive gone through whatever red fluid that was in it when i got it, to store brand mercon v, to mobil 1, to pennzoil synchromesh. I dont remember any details about the original fluid. but after doing some research, i was nervous about the store brand fluid, so i grabbed mobil 1 thinking it would be nice and good quality. winter month shifting sucked until it warmed up. and no matter what, ever since i got the car, 5th gear would make a grindy rattly noise. I found with the mobil 1, that if i add a little fluid (no more than 3.7 quarts total) It minimizes the noises from 5th gear. i think right now, i have a little over 3.2 quarts of synchromesh in it. I want to do one more change in the near future though, mostly to cycle out the remnants of the old fluid, and make sure i get as close to 3.2 quarts of fluid as i can. synchromesh shifts best in any (florida) temperature. Cant vouch for snow weather.

Oh and the rattling noise goes away after the transmission has warmed up. i used to have an audio recording of the noise, but it sounded WAY worse and alarming in the audio recording that it did in person. My best solution so far is to try to stick with 4th gear and below until i ran the gears long enough to warm up, then speed up and cruise 5th.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT