Blown motor... 5.4 swap possibly 2005 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Blown motor... 5.4 swap possibly 2005 mustang gt

Hey all, I recently blew my 4.6 in my 2005 gt, its a long story and won't get into it. So now, I am faced with two options, rebuild my 4.6 or swap in a 5.4 out of a f150/expedition/etc. I know a lot of people will say its not worth it or anything like that. But I'm not looking to hear that. I am looking to hear what all would be needed to swap the 5.4 in and if it would bolt up to the stock manual transmission or not. I'm pretty sure I would need a new flywheel and I know I need to adjust my exhaust manifolds a bit. But what else would I need? would I need the pcm? if its possible, could someone post what would I need if I already had a 5.4 complete and ready to pull from a donor vehicle. Yes I know it weighs about 100lbs more than the 4.6 also. Thanks in advance.
sartharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Swap in a 5.0. Aluminator possibly.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:39 AM   #3

I have access to several 5.4s which is why I was asking about this, no money would be spent on the motor except anything extra needed to make the swap happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have a 3v 5.4? If so the swap will be A LOT easier. Also I believe the 5.4 intake manifold won't flow well above 5000 rpm, I'm not 100% sure about this so feel free to correct me. The 5.4 is a 4.6, with just more 1 inch of stroke, so the engine should be able to just drop right in, bolt up to everything, and hook up the ECU. I'm curious about the exhaust headers, since the heads are higher and farther apart than normal due to the added stoke their might be an issue there? I'm not sure how much play is in the exhaust system, you might be able to just pull the headers up there, or you might have to make a custom exhaust piece I don't believe that the flywheel needs to be changed, but again I'm not 100% sure. Sorry about all of the uncertainty

It's all about the smiles per gallon
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If its anything like a 2V 4.6L to 5.4L swap it will be a 95% bolt in. They are the same motor, one just has a little more stroke than the other. You'll run into issues with the intake manifold and exhaust but everything else should go right in I would think.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Yes, I have a couple 3v 5.4s with under 40k miles on them that my father and I got good deals on from friends over the years who rolled their vehicles and the like. Thanks for the help everyone, gonna hopefully do a bit more research and get this swap started.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Please do a write up on it if you are able to do it. I would like to see how things go

Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Will a 4.6 intake not fit the heads of the 5.4?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Check out this link, has some good info on the 4.5 to 5.4 swap!

5.4 Swap write-up
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's for the 2V but it should be similar. As for the intake, no the 4.6L intake will not fit on a 5.4L. You'd either have to get a set of spacers machined or use the truck intake. And spacers suck as the article mentions. I don't currently know of any 3V 5.4L aftermarket intake so you'd probably have to use the truck unit.

Reading that thread though... really making me want to find a 96-98 car for cheap with a blown motor and swap in a JY 5.4L. They are all over the place and a dime a dozen for those 2V 5.4L motors. Biggest issue really is just weight. There are plenty of options out there for a light aluminum 2V, only production cars that got a 5.4L aluminum block were the Ford GT and the 11/12 GT500.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Just the motor itself swapped in it will feel just like a truck. Not a mustang anymore.

To make it have the type power feel from a sports car you will have to swap the intake, cams, and port the heads if it's a 2v 5.4 you are getting.

Keep all this in mind.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Just the motor itself swapped in it will feel just like a truck. Not a mustang anymore.

To make it have the type power feel from a sports car you will have to swap the intake, cams, and port the heads if it's a 2v 5.4 you are getting.

Keep all this in mind.

He was getting a 3v though

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I believe they make intake manifolds for the 5.4, but they are welded together and cost like $2000. So definitely not a logical choice. Could you just swap the heads and then you wouldn't have to port them and get cams? You would still have the same bore and stoke though. Basically this will work for the OP, however it may not be ideal, correct?

Old 04-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
He was getting a 3v though

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Will still need the manifold and the cams then.

HID end all thread
Old 04-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

OP, I considered the 5.4 swap in my car before. Looked up everything on the pros and cons and how to do it. I decided to just say F it, if I'm doing a swap I'll put in an engine that is actually worth it.

5.4 4v is the only 5.4 worth it IMO, it is a hell of a lot heavier though, which is where I decided against it also.

HID end all thread
Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

But he already has the engine for free and his car is blown up. It might not be the ideal swap but for a low budget it will still get his car back on the road.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If you could find a lighting intake that would work but they are hard to come by! Or you could get a forced induction kit for the 5.4 that way it would take care of the intake issue also!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyOnTheBeach View Post
But he already has the engine for free and his car is blown up. It might not be the ideal swap but for a low budget it will still get his car back on the road.

I would personally rebuild it. That weight may not look like a lot, but it will weigh the car down and will make it push like a pig in corners.

I would say take this opportunity to forge the motor.

HID end all thread
Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would personally rebuild it. That weight may not look like a lot, but it will weigh the car down and will make it push like a pig in corners.

I would say take this opportunity to forge the motor.

If OP rebuilt his 3V with a high compression ratio, lets say 11:1, and stoked it to 5.3 he could probably make similar if not more power than the 5.4 without the weight, correct? However the high compression ratio wouldn't be ideal for any kind of boost. Would this be a decent option for OP? If he decided to forge it, would you suggest changing the displacement/compression ratio or just leave it the same? Sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to pick your brain.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It depends on if OP had plans on going with a boost later on then leave it close to the stock compression. If he wanted to go all engine, then stroke it!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
If OP rebuilt his 3V with a high compression ratio, lets say 11:1, and stoked it to 5.3 he could probably make similar if not more power than the 5.4 without the weight, correct? However the high compression ratio wouldn't be ideal for any kind of boost. Would this be a decent option for OP? If he decided to forge it, would you suggest changing the displacement/compression ratio or just leave it the same? Sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to pick your brain.

You can do boost with an 11.0:1 CR. Just use E85. That along with a forged stroker kit. Both of that along with keeping his aluminum block would mean more power and no more weight added.

HID end all thread
Old 04-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #22

Alright guys, we are doing to 5.4 swap. We will be using 4.6 heads and are looking for the adapter to use the 4.6 intake with it to make up sure it fits due to the extra height and width. If anyone has any info or a link to those, it would be great. I've been searching around and can't find an active link to them
Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Link to the 2V adapters, it may work on the 3V also but would Call to make sure!

MotoBlue 5.4L Intake Adaptor Plates for your 1996-2004 Mustang GT
Old 04-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartharias View Post
Alright guys, we are doing to 5.4 swap. We will be using 4.6 heads and are looking for the adapter to use the 4.6 intake with it to make up sure it fits due to the extra height and width. If anyone has any info or a link to those, it would be great. I've been searching around and can't find an active link to them
Cool please keep us updated and fill us in on how the dynamics of the car change.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

What gears are you running OP? The 5.4 is a really torquey motor since it has a super long stroke. Horsepower is actually around the same as the 4.6, but a lot more torque. They work better with a numerically lower gear in the rear end.

You said you are using the 4.6 heads, are you also using the 4.6 cams or the 5.4 cams?

HID end all thread
Old 04-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #26

My 05 Gt that the 5.4 is going into has the stock gearing still. I'm not sure yet which cams are going in it, after my father and I decided to for sure use the 5.4 today, we called up our buddy to do the swap for us, and he said he is gonna build us a new 5.4 3v and use my current heads/intake with adapter. The cost is still gonna come out less than rebuilding the 4.6,because we can give him parts of the 4.6 to offset cost and he wants one of our current 5.4 for a project of his.

Big question here is, does anyone know if the stock hood will fit over a 5.4 with the 4.6 heads/intake. Later down the road I am changing hoods but not right now unless 100% needed
Old 04-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

While the heads are out may as well port and polish them. And upgrade the cams.

HID end all thread
Old 04-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

And use a aggressive cam for lots of power ohhhh yeaaa

Just so you don't do it twice lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Boosted_3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

And might as well stroke and bore it. Lol

Old 04-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Blown motor... 5.4 swap possibly 2005 mustang gt

Quote:
And might as well stroke and bore it. Lol

The 5.4 already has an extremely long stroke at 4.125", it needs a bigger bore than the 3.552" it has. The extra .8 liters over the 4.6 is entirely from the stroke. 5.4 and 4.6 bore is the same.

HID end all thread
Old 04-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The 5.4 already has an extremely long stroke at 4.125", it needs a bigger bore than the 3.552" it has. The extra .8 liters over the 4.6 is entirely from the stroke. 5.4 and 4.6 bore is the same.

Ahh gotcha, I believe some of the lightning guys bored their 5.4 to 6ish liters.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

In a truck it'll make sense, for that extra torque. But in a Mustang it'll be plenty of torque, if you want it to feel like a sports car and not a low revving diesel engine a bigger bore and bigger cams, and higher flowing intake will help a lot. It'll have a ton of get up and go...... The only bad thing is you can't really bore out the block effectively, and the Boss block obviously won't work since it is a 4.6 based block. BUT, if you can get your hands on a 13/14 GT500 block, that has the same specs as the 5.4 essentially, with a 3.7" bore.

HID end all thread
Old 04-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok, honestly... find a 3V out of a JY and run that thing and then sell the car and save for a Coyote or just enjoy the fresh 3V you have in the thing.

Unsure how swapping a 4V is into a 3V car, I know its not the straight shot it is in a 2V car because of the electronics... although I know there are kits to swap the 3V into a 2V car without very much trouble and I'm sure someone has done a 4V into a 3V already.

Or just Coyote swap it. I'd love to find a clean V6 05-09 car, Coyote swap it and toss a GT500 front end onto it. Best of all worlds. Best looking car, best motor, best $$$ and insurance. Also don't have to worry about molesting a GT500.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
2005 mustang