Bama tuners - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Bama tuners

So I have a 06 mustang gt with a few things done to it (pypes muffler delete, 3.73, and a k&n drop in) I was wanting to get a airaid CAI and tuner kit from AM but I'm not sure about the whole tune thing. Is it bad for the motor? Will it decrease the longevity of it? Can I take it right out of the box and plug it in without hooking it up to the computer?

Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1428560916.606014.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	179537

Devyn
bamf3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf3v View Post
So I have a 06 mustang gt with a few things done to it (pypes muffler delete, 3.73, and a k&n drop in)

I was wanting to get a airaid CAI and tuner kit from AM but I'm not sure about the whole tune thing.

1. Is it bad for the motor?

2. Will it decrease the longevity of it?

3. Can I take it right out of the box and plug it in without hooking it up to the computer?

Thanks Attachment 179537

Devyn
Hey Devyn - Welcome to MustangEvolution! Great questions here and I can't say nice enough things about the Airaid CAI & Bama X4 Tuner - Being in the position that I'm in I get to test fit about 90% of the parts we carry and while I don't have an Airaid on my '08 if I we're to pick up another intake today I would shoot for theirs - They make a great product that definitely delivers. Check out some of the reviews below just to get an idea of what some of our customers are saying:

On your questions:

1. Absolutely not - Ford left a lot on the table for the after market community and this is due to the fact that they needed to hit their numbers for fuel consumption - The car is definitely watered down from the factory! While I'm on Fuel we've had a ton of customers be it with a v6, gt, GT500, let us know that their consumption even improved! At the end of the day this is a performance part so if you get the tunes loaded onto the car you're going to naturally be putting the car through its paces and driving a little hard but once you settle into it I'd bet you'd see some improvements!

2. Absolutely not - If you're running around town bouncing the car off the rev limiter than you're going to hurt the car but I've been running their tunes on my car(s) since 2010 with no issues whatsoever - only mechanical issues as it's a Ford

3. Great question and yes and no - Bama will have the device loaded with the tunes they created specifically for your car but you're going to need to have the firmware on the device updated prior to loading the tunes - While the x4 is wifi capable depending on how strong the signal is you might need to have it plugged in to have the update done faster (Let me know if you have any other questions about this) but think of it being just like updating the software on your phone.

Hope this helps!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

How often do you have to update tge device.... I just got mine and was to excited to plug it in that I didn't update before I uploaded my tunes

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

509pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Alex, you practically sold me on the product! This will definitely be my next purchase!😎

Devyn
bamf3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Can't speak for a manual, but if you have an automatic, there is a ton of potential left out with the factory tune. Bama's new V2 tune has totally changed my car for the better and I can't imagine ever going back to stock. If you don't have the money to do both the cai and tuner, get the tuner first.

Sent from my microwave
Old 04-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
Can't speak for a manual, but if you have an automatic, there is a ton of potential left out with the factory tune. Bama's new V2 tune has totally changed my car for the better and I can't imagine ever going back to stock. If you don't have the money to do both the cai and tuner, get the tuner first.

Sent from my microwave
+1 on the tuner before CAI. If you can get both, then definitely go for it.

It's all about the smiles per gallon
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Why didn't you tune along with the gears?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509pony View Post
How often do you have to update tge device.... I just got mine and was to excited to plug it in that I didn't update before I uploaded my tunes

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Hey 509 - Great question and think of it being just like updating software on your mobile device - SCT updates their software regularly and I would suggest keeping an eye out for them! As much as I wish that we had the ability to have Bama have their devices fully updated prior to shipping it would likely set them back a few months!

let me know if you have any other questions at all and I'm here to help!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf3v View Post
Thanks Alex, you practically sold me on the product! This will definitely be my next purchase!😎
Devyn
Devyn - Anytime! Don't hesitate to let me know if you're to have any other questions at all and I'm here to help!

Have a great weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
Can't speak for a manual, but if you have an automatic, there is a ton of potential left out with the factory tune.

Bama's new V2 tune has totally changed my car for the better and I can't imagine ever going back to stock. If you don't have the money to do both the cai and tuner, get the tuner first.
Thanks for taking the time to post up your feedback Boink! I can't agree with you more on this! Their tuning improvements on the Automatic cars are downright ridiculous and I can't stress enough how much of a night and day difference it is in comparison to the factory tune.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyOnTheBeach View Post
+1 on the tuner before CAI. If you can get both, then definitely go for it.
Agreed!

If anyone has any other questions let me know! I'm always around to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

Bama tuners

I'm new to the forum, and new to tuning. I've read a few posts about tuning on here and it sounds as if the tune really doesn't effect manual transmissions as much as automatic. Any truth to this? Any help answering this would be greatly appreciated.
Roscoe62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
There is nothing to tune in a stick so yes it would affect an auto a lot more since you can change shift points and pressures. Now if you mean does it tune the engine differently then no.
BBK LT headers, fuel rail and UD pullies
Hurst Shifter
Lowered with upgraded rear suspension
Galaxie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

You will still notice a difference on a manual
Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #12

Thanks for answering
Roscoe62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've run the Bama "racing tune" with a manual since day 1 along with most bolt-on's and have been extremely pleased. Original Bama (pre-AMR) was responsive and eager to resolve my "stuck throttle" tune issue on my 08'. Just give them all your spec's and your good to go. Free Lifetime updates is also very nice. As stated....if you get the tuner do a check the firmware on it and do an update if necessary since it can also resolve some tuning/car issues

I would wait until you can get the tuner & CAI at the same time since with the CAI your car will need to be tuned for the changed air/fuel mixture. If you must choose, get the tuner first.
refluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Devyn - Welcome to MustangEvolution! Great questions here and I can't say nice enough things about the Airaid CAI & Bama X4 Tuner - Being in the position that I'm in I get to test fit about 90% of the parts we carry and while I don't have an Airaid on my '08 if I we're to pick up another intake today I would shoot for theirs - They make a great product that definitely delivers. Check out some of the reviews below just to get an idea of what some of our customers are saying:

On your questions:

1. Absolutely not - Ford left a lot on the table for the after market community and this is due to the fact that they needed to hit their numbers for fuel consumption - The car is definitely watered down from the factory! While I'm on Fuel we've had a ton of customers be it with a v6, gt, GT500, let us know that their consumption even improved! At the end of the day this is a performance part so if you get the tunes loaded onto the car you're going to naturally be putting the car through its paces and driving a little hard but once you settle into it I'd bet you'd see some improvements!

2. Absolutely not - If you're running around town bouncing the car off the rev limiter than you're going to hurt the car but I've been running their tunes on my car(s) since 2010 with no issues whatsoever - only mechanical issues as it's a Ford

3. Great question and yes and no - Bama will have the device loaded with the tunes they created specifically for your car but you're going to need to have the firmware on the device updated prior to loading the tunes - While the x4 is wifi capable depending on how strong the signal is you might need to have it plugged in to have the update done faster (Let me know if you have any other questions about this) but think of it being just like updating the software on your phone.

Hope this helps!

Alex

Some guy on here told me all of American muscle reviews are manipulated and fake!!! What's up with that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thebayareapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:48 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayareapimp View Post
Some guy on here told me all of American muscle reviews are manipulated and fake!!! What's up with that?

Defintely not true.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:49 AM   #16

Bama tuners

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Defintely not true.

Ya, he tried telling me all 200 American muscle reviews that we're five stars for the FlowMaster outlaws 05-09 were manipulated and fake!

thebayareapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
FWIW, I have posted negative reviews about a few things they sell and I've never seen those reviews go live.

Case in point.

Mustang Solid Black Vinyl Roof Decal (94-04 All) - Free Shipping

I left a negative review on this product after I had it and discovered that it is not wide enough but the vinyl itself was really good. And I said as much in the review suggesting they cut the vinyl a half inch wider on either side and require installers to remove the roof trim pieces to clean under there and tuck the vinyl under.

This is not the first time this has happened on AM. And I made sure I did not violate any ToS with what I said.

So yeah... be careful of trusting reviews on AM where half of them are people just excited to install a new part and give a product 4 or 5 stars on day 1. This is true of all online reviews really, not just AM.

Also, bama tunes are canned, not actual datalogged tunes. Even if they are really good they are not specifically for your car. For 90% of people running bolt ons that's fine. Make sure you also install a wideband so you can make sure your A/F is correct seeing as it is a canned tune and they are known to run on the rich side for safety.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
FWIW, I have posted negative reviews about a few things they sell and I've never seen those reviews go live.

Case in point.

Mustang Solid Black Vinyl Roof Decal (94-04 All) - Free Shipping

I left a negative review on this product after I had it and discovered that it is not wide enough but the vinyl itself was really good. And I said as much in the review suggesting they cut the vinyl a half inch wider on either side and require installers to remove the roof trim pieces to clean under there and tuck the vinyl under.

This is not the first time this has happened on AM. And I made sure I did not violate any ToS with what I said.

So yeah... be careful of trusting reviews on AM where half of them are people just excited to install a new part and give a product 4 or 5 stars on day 1. This is true of all online reviews really, not just AM.

Also, bama tunes are canned, not actual datalogged tunes. Even if they are really good they are not specifically for your car. For 90% of people running bolt ons that's fine. Make sure you also install a wideband so you can make sure your A/F is correct seeing as it is a canned tune and they are known to run on the rich side for safety.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you there boss. Bama tunes are not a one tune fits all canned tune. Before Bama sends the customer off with a tune, the customer answers questions based on her or his specific car. Bama makes the tune specifically for an individuals car based on the mods or no mods.

That's a bit more than a generic canned tune. Also, a customer can datalog to dial in the tune after the initial tunes. Granted its not the exact same as a dyno tune but its still a tune specific to ones mods on the car.

I am the worlds defender of the 3.7 V6 model.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Not the same as a legit remote tuner that'll send you a baseline startup tune, then get your logs from idle, then make you do a bunch of pulls on the street and take those logs and then (if you want) have you book dyno time and tune you remotely as you spin the rollers 2 or 3 times. "specific mod questions" is still guessing at exactly what your car is doing, every car is different.

Like I said for 90% of people this is great, its fast as hell turnaround and they DO do a lot of testing on their own cars on their own dynos to get real close. But its still just "real close".

And I still stand by my personal experience that I have made negative reviews on the AM site that have not gone live. My positive ones sure do tho and I have left enough of those for other products I've gotten.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Not the same as a legit remote tuner that'll send you a baseline startup tune, then get your logs from idle, then make you do a bunch of pulls on the street and take those logs and then (if you want) have you book dyno time and tune you remotely as you spin the rollers 2 or 3 times. "specific mod questions" is still guessing at exactly what your car is doing, every car is different.

Like I said for 90% of people this is great, its fast as hell turnaround and they DO do a lot of testing on their own cars on their own dynos to get real close. But its still just "real close".

And I still stand by my personal experience that I have made negative reviews on the AM site that have not gone live. My positive ones sure do tho and I have left enough of those for other products I've gotten.
I don't know anything about the reviews part but!!!!!! You are aware that a customer can data log their tune with Bama, yes? You do WOT pulls and all with the datalog.

I am the worlds defender of the 3.7 V6 model.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
My car is like Night and Day with/without the Tune- Without the tune my engine light will come on....
2007 Mustang GT Premium -- 18" gunmetal grey wheels | w/Staggered Tires | Hurst short throw shifter | JBA high flow cats and performance mufflers | JBA chrome tips | JLT intake | Shifting Light | Halo Lights | Cervini Ram Air Hood | Black Billet Fuel Door | Black Billet Pony & GT Emblem | Front Chin Spoiler | Red Strut Tower Brace | Intake Plenum Manifold/Throttle Cover-Hydrocarbon | Tuned with Bama X4/SF4 Tuner | Roof Spoiler | Eleanor-Style & Side Scoops | Gen5 Tail Lights
RumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT