absolute best engine oil? - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #176
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I'm really surprised to see the people using Mobil 1 not paying two dollars more for the Extended Performance. Its such a small difference in price between the two yet the extended performance is a true base IV synthetic oil and for 2 dollars more at Wally World.

If there was evidence that Engine A using Amsoil lasted longer than same engine A using Mobil 1 extended performance, I would buy Amsoil.

I am the worlds defender of the 3.7 V6 model.

Well if you wanted to go one year or 25k miles before you change it amsoil is the way to go. Extended is like a 15k oil if I remember correctly. So it's probably cheaper to do the amsoil over the mobil 1 extended if you did that.

Even though I trust amsoil to get me safely to 25k I do it every 10k. As much as I drive, I hope to get my coyote safely to 150k so I can pay it off and turn it into a track day car. So change my oil 15 times @ 80 bucks a pop is 1200 bucks. What's 2 gallons of extended Mobil 1 run with a 10.00 filter? 60? That would be 900 @15 changes. So an extra 300 bucks spread out over 4-5 years? I think it's a solid investment.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 04:55 AM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Well if you wanted to go one year or 25k miles before you change it amsoil is the way to go. Extended is like a 15k oil if I remember correctly. So it's probably cheaper to do the amsoil over the mobil 1 extended if you did that.

Even though I trust amsoil to get me safely to 25k I do it every 10k. As much as I drive, I hope to get my coyote safely to 150k so I can pay it off and turn it into a track day car. So change my oil 15 times @ 80 bucks a pop is 1200 bucks. What's 2 gallons of extended Mobil 1 run with a 10.00 filter? 60? That would be 900 @15 changes. So an extra 300 bucks spread out over 4-5 years? I think it's a solid investment.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
You have a valid point sir. I like you only change my oil and filter once a year although I travel less than 9k miles a year. It costs me 52 dollars for the oil and filter for my pony but I also use two quarts less because you have 5.0.

So if I had a 5.0 it would cost me 71 dollars to use Mobil 1 extended along with my filter. Only 9 dollars less than what you pay.

Your $80 seems like a really good price. Does that include the amsoil extended drain filter? Also, what do you pay for a gallon or quart? You got me thinking sir.

Also, do you think your engine will last longer or be in better condition using Amsoil over say Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Redline?

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:58 AM   #178
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
You have a valid point sir. I like you only change my oil and filter once a year although I travel less than 9k miles a year. It costs me 52 dollars for the oil and filter for my pony but I also use two quarts less because you have 5.0.

So if I had a 5.0 it would cost me 71 dollars to use Mobil 1 extended along with my filter. Only 9 dollars less than what you pay.

Your $80 seems like a really good price. Does that include the amsoil extended drain filter? Also, what do you pay for a gallon or quart? You got me thinking sir.

Also, do you think your engine will last longer or be in better condition using Amsoil over say Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Redline?

I am a "preferred customer" through amsoil so I paid a fee long ago to get the lower prices. As much as I drive and change the oil in my car the membership has paid for itself in savings x10 by now.

I do use the amsoil filter with my oil changes.

I believe a gallon at the preferred customer price is ~35 bucks.

I don't know that my motor will be in better shape over any of the others you listed but I think you are probably in good shape using anyone of those.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am a "preferred customer" through amsoil so I paid a fee long ago to get the lower prices. As much as I drive and change the oil in my car the membership has paid for itself in savings x10 by now.

I do use the amsoil filter with my oil changes.

I believe a gallon at the preferred customer price is ~35 bucks.

I don't know that my motor will be in better shape over any of the others you listed but I think you are probably in good shape using anyone of those.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
I just went on Amsoil web site. It says its $20 dollars year annually charge to be a preferred customer. Plus you pay for shipping under $100 order. How much is shipping?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #180
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I just went on Amsoil web site. It says its $20 dollars year annually charge to be a preferred customer. Plus you pay for shipping under $100 order. How much is shipping?

I believe I paid 120 bucks years ago for a lifetime preferred membership. I believe that is still available.

Shipping under 100 bucks is usually 12-13 bucks. I always buy enough to get me over the free shipping hump. So usually I will buy 2 oil changes worth of stuff. My wife's car and my car. Or I will get diff fluid ect. I hate paying for shipping. You can also pick it up at a warehouse if your close enough. I sometimes do that if I'm already going to be in Richmond va since there is one there.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 06-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe I paid 120 bucks years ago for a lifetime preferred membership. I believe that is still available.

Shipping under 100 bucks is usually 12-13 bucks. I always buy enough to get me over the free shipping hump. So usually I will buy 2 oil changes worth of stuff. My wife's car and my car. Or I will get diff fluid ect. I hate paying for shipping. You can also pick it up at a warehouse if your close enough. I sometimes do that if I'm already going to be in Richmond va since there is one there.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
I'll have to look again to find that $120 lifetime membership deal. The only two options I saw was one time $10 for a 6 month trial. Then $20 dollar annually after that. 👍

Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #182
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Go to your MOTORCYCLE SHOP for AMSOIL

Most Motorcycle shops sell AMSOIL . If they don't have the exact viscosity you need , They can order it for you.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Most Motorcycle shops sell AMSOIL . If they don't have the exact viscosity you need , They can order it for you.
Ronnie
Really. Oh wow. Thanks sir. Good too know.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #184
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you have a Victory dealer near you

They use Amsoil and although you are not going to want Motorcycle oil, They can put what you want on their order for you.
We sold Amsoil products at Millers in Daytona and always had a special order for car oil from different customers.
We also sold "Golden Spectro" which in my opinion was the very best Motorcycle oil you could buy. Expensive but great oil.
Ronnie
Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #185
Registered Member

Regular

^its always an option to pick it up at a dealer like Ronnie said, but expect to pay retail pricing unless you are buddies with the guy. Before I was a preferred customer a buddy of mine who was a dealer for them would order it for me and I would pick it up at the warehouse near me for his cost.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 AM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm a purple fan.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435651535.668744.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	186188Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435651571.770037.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	186189Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435651615.788812.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	186190

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:01 AM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakol View Post
I'm a purple fan.Attachment 186188Attachment 186189Attachment 186190

I do buy their extended life oil filter. After researching it, the royal purple oil filter rates up there with the Amsoil Filter. Great quality filters my understanding.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #188
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The Wix does real well too and the construction is top notch.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #189
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
I can get all technical up in you @sses,cause I been a test engineer ( yes I can spell it) in lubricant testing for 26 years.

I quite reading after I read ^that^ lol

Old 06-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #190
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I've been buying the K&N oil filter for a long time now, mainly because I go longer than your typical 3 months. Hell, it might be once a year now that it's not my DD. Anyway, I think I'm gonna buy the Ford Racing FL820 from now on. It's about the same price as the K&N I buy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435677137.297096.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	186197

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...20-Oil-Filters

Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on Amsoil

....but availability and my money I run M1 w/ either a Wix filter or M1 filter when they are on sale.
refluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #192
Staff
Regular
Staff

As already stated, the M1 EP is a full syn and is always at the Wal Marts and $1 more than regular.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I've been buying the K&N oil filter for a long time now, mainly because I go longer than your typical 3 months. Hell, it might be once a year now that it's not my DD. Anyway, I think I'm gonna buy the Ford Racing FL820 from now on. It's about the same price as the K&N I buy.

Attachment 186197

Motorcraft FL-820s vs Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 Oil Filters

By choosing K&N or FRPP FL820 oil filters your trading off additional flow for filtering.....great sponsored cars where you can change the filter more often or high HP applications were the extra flow is needed. All great filters but I choose M1 (same construction as K&N minus the "nut" but better filtering) or WIX for my car. For the money the Motorcraft filter is the best bang for the buck.
refluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by refluga View Post
By choosing K&N or FRPP FL820 oil filters your trading off additional flow for filtering.....great sponsored cars where you can change the filter more often or high HP applications were the extra flow is needed. All great filters but I choose M1 (same construction as K&N minus the "nut" but better filtering) or WIX for my car. For the money the Motorcraft filter is the best bang for the buck.
Something tells me that the majority of people on here including myself are not concerned with the best bang for buck on oil filters. Most on here seem to change their filter once a year so a royal purple filter or K&N filter costs $15.

What does a Motorcraft filter cost for our stang's? $6, that's 9 dollars year savings. Majority on here couldn't care less especially those who are changing oil every 3k miles and still buying Amsoil or Royal Purple.

People on here throw great oil out that still has a good 10k plus miles of oil life left. 😈

Old 07-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #195
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Something tells me that the majority of people on here including myself are not concerned with the best bang for buck on oil filters. Most on here seem to change their filter once a year so a royal purple filter or K&N filter costs $15.

What does a Motorcraft filter cost for our stang's? $6, that's 9 dollars year savings. Majority on here couldn't care less especially those who are changing oil every 3k miles and still buying Amsoil or Royal Purple.

People on here throw great oil out that still has a good 10k plus miles of oil life left.

Actually, it's even less than $6 lol

To be fair about a statement about "miles of oil left"... I would agree for the most part, except some of us won't get much more than 4k miles in a year. $78 for a yearly oil/filter change ain't too bad.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 07-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

The way to get the best results with most protection, is to spray a bottle of WD-40 into your engine. Thats it. And of course a fram filter. Sometimes i only use half a bottle of money is tight. But then I have to change it after 10k miles instead of 20k.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jsteele84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #197
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele84 View Post
The way to get the best results with most protection, is to spray a bottle of WD-40 into your engine. Thats it. And of course a fram filter. Sometimes i only use half a bottle of money is tight. But then I have to change it after 10k miles instead of 20k.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#weaksauce

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 07-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #198
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you watch enough TV you would know foe a fact

A FRAM filter is the best because all of their advertisements tell us so.
TV advertisements never lie.
Ronnie
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #199
Staff
Regular
Staff

I actually have not seen any FRAM adverts for awhile. Last one I remember seeing was for their "air hog" filters or whatever and that was YEARS ago...

In their defense... the orange death cans are actually the only really bad ones they make. The more expensive filters are decent but overpriced when you can get a WIX for $6 and a Motorcraft for $4.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #200
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

See a lot of them on my channels in the Daytona area

I guess they push them more around my area because of all of us old geezers that remember when the Fram Filters were the most popular and we just always thought they were the best ones you could buy.
They probably OK if your using straight weight oil and change it and the filter every 3.000 miles.
*********************************BUT*****************************************************
Not really good when using a 5W 20 and changing the oil at 10,000 miles.
Ronnie
Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #201
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you look at the construction from cut open new filters vs cut open motorcraft or wix... its not even close. Cardboard interior construction, plastic, the fins on the actual filter are not uniform at all and its very cheap.

Yeah it will work if you are changing every 3k-5k but its not going to filter nearly as well as other brands and the chances of it failing are going to be higher.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #202
Registered Member

Regular

just put lucas 530 and kn white filter.. what i dont get though.. is that they advertise the ps series for synthetic, but is much cheaper then the white series, hp....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT