COURT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
COURT

what would be the chances of me winning in court if I sue a mechanic that had my car for a rebuild and it took him 5 months to rebuild along with him changing the estimate multiple times. and then once I got my car back it was running really really rough and it would have a low idle and almost die everytime I started it, fixed the problem myself by changing the air intake, changing the spark plugs because the ones he put in had to be used and when changing them one of the electrodes, I believe is what the nipple of the spark plug is called, broke off in my head( which the heads are also used from another car), after this I put NGK platinums in and it ran better, then I called bama performance to data log it and it came to be that he installed the wrong 02 sensors and the wiring harness was put on backwards, I fixed this issue myself and finally I get the car running perfect. 1000 miles I changed the oil and I never once drove it hard due to breaking it in, now not even 2500 miles on a brand new engine im driving on the interstate and boom the cylinder 1 piston is hitting my head again and it is loud!!!
This mechanic really screwed me can anyone give any advice or what can I bring to court to support me, thanks
ill post pictures when internet is better
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
COURT

You have the burden of proof. I've been down this road once with a transmission. My advice is you file a complaint with the BAR ( bureau of automotive repair). Then you take the car to a reputable mechanic to identify the issues and the BAR will inspect as well. Then you sue him civilly with paperwork from the bar as well as the paperwork from the second shop with the cost to rebuild correctly. You will have to front the money to get it rebuilt again but you will win in court this way. I did.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
You will need photos, videos and proof of his screw up. Normally, have the bad parts inspected by another mechanic and have them write a written statement of the bad parts. And the bad parts would needed as evidence of the crime...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Did you sign anything during the process and what legalities did it state?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

how long did it take you to go to court?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I don't need the car rebuilt asap I just wanna win in court and use the money to get it fixed again
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i also know a mechanic that is going to rebuild it for me and he is a really knowledgeable guy and will also stand for me in court too
he is going to be doing the leak down test for me also
Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

It took prob 5-6 months before it went to court. This was in California though. I'm sure it varies with the state or even city/county.

I had to borrow money from ole grandpa to get my second transmission rebuilt. But having the BAR Come in and see different stages of the tear down and take their own pictures and write a full notarized document lining out ALL the things the shop did wrong was priceless. The guy who originally did the job charged me for a new clutch (never changed it just surfaced the flywheel), supposedly rebuilt my trans (the BAR Noted the transmission was stamped with the partial vin that was from another car, that was in a junkyard that had sold the transmission to my mechanic), noted he put the wrong fluid in it, basically ran down his list of parts and labor and just tore him a new one. He basically bought a used trans and slapped it in my car and charged me for a full rebuild. Needless to say that didn't fly. Best part was that when it blew up on me only a few weeks later it destroyed the case. It couldn't even be rebuilt in that case. It cost double what it should have. He ended up paying for the total cost after this happened. I was convinced I wouldn't see the money but a week later I got a check from his insurance company. I never had to say a word in court. The judge looked at it for a few minutes, commended me on my case and told the mechanic shame on him and he would pay the full amount. He even had the nerve to counter sue me for distress... The judge literally laughed at him.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

damn 5 months is a while im in the military and I only have about 2 1/2 months left until I get out and go back home, im currently stationed in califorina but ill be going back to Mississippi here soon, do you think they will be able to speed up the process to go to court before I leave?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Dunno man. But id start the process ASAP
Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I am tomorrow actually im getting it towed to the shop, even with him having my car for 5 MONTHS that should hold in court right?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

The fact that it took him that long only reflects poorly on him. It has nothing to do with how long you had the car back. Hopefully you have documentation from when you picked it up
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

here is a pic im trying to post more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150310_122352.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	961.3 KB
ID:	180886  
Old 04-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I have the signed estimate from when I got the car back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_222322.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	858.4 KB
ID:	180888  
Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
the plugs breaking is a common problem, means nothing. Was this guy working at a license business , was he licensed ? or was he just working from his house?
Old 04-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Dam, sorry to hear what happened to you. Sometimes, "Lessons Learned" can hit hard. My Biggest Advise I give to Everyone is: RESEARCH First.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

he is a licensed mechanic but still didn't do the best for my car the spark plugs had legit rust residue on them and it was right after I got my car back that I pulled them out and the threads were dry as hell and rusty
Old 04-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

its just little things that have been brought to my attention to notice that maybe he didn't forge my engine or do anything that I paid him for, **** even the computer strategy was different for my engine after I got back the car, who knows he could've put a completely different engine in my car and called it good and just says he did all the work
Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey herron View Post
its just little things that have been brought to my attention to notice that maybe he didn't forge my engine or do anything that I paid him for, **** even the computer strategy was different for my engine after I got back the car, who knows he could've put a completely different engine in my car and called it good and just says he did all the work
I told you about that when you made your first post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT