Mustang Evolution Forum banner

4.6 Build Questions

3K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  Labrat 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Let me start by saying I know Very Little about these newer motors. I have built a 5.0 push rod motor from a bare block before. I now own an 08 GT & I'm debating on building another 4.6 or doing a complete motor swap. So I'm hoping someone out there knows just how much H.P. the 4.6 Block can handle. I'd like to try to get 600-650 H.P. with 600' lbs. of Torque. My plan is to bore it .30 over, 1.7 Roller Rockers, either Super Charge, Turbo or Twin Turbo, 44-lb. injectors, Hot Rod or Thumper Cams. Not sure what else to do to reach that goal.
Any Suggestions ???? Can the Block even handle it ???
Maybe I just need to find a wrecked Z06 Vette & get the motor because that's exactly what it puts out. I'm actually wanting to build something that will beat the vette. My buddy just paid $92K for his Vette & so I want to build a motor for under $10K that will beat his Vette.

Let me know what you all think.

#2 ·
They used to say, on here, that you need 100 more horsepower than whatever the Vette has to beat it... So you will need closer to 750 hp!
Those new Z06 are quick! 0-60 in 3.1 seconds!
Plan on spending at least double the amount that you have budgeted, to even get close to your buddy's car.

#3 ·
There is a lot more than just making a lot of power to beat a ZO6, your going to need to make it hook up as well so I would also expect to spend part of your budget on wheels, tires, and suspension parts. I'm also guess in that your going to need more than 650 to beat the corvette. With that being said, I believe the block will hold up to 650 hp without much problem. You will need full forged internals and of course some sort of way to boost the 4.6 to over 650 hp. Another option that might be worth looking into is swapping a 5.0 coyote. I'm not very knowledgeable on this engine, but most forum members love the motor. At the end of the day your working with a 10 year old engine from a car that when brand new was less half the price of that corvette, you going to have a very difficult time beating that ZO6

It's all about the smiles per gallon

#7 ·
I realize I'll have to do suspension, Clutch, gears, etc. The $10K was just a rough estimate for parts to build my current motor only. The suspension, etc. I'd do while building the motor. The car will be down for a year while I'm building the motor & it'll be easier doing the suspension while the motor is out.
I;d sure like to beat his vette...but even if I could give it a good, close run I'd be happy.
I need to find out what kind of H.P. the Coyote motor & the GT500 motor put out.
Maybe I need to go one of those routes.
I have till June to decide as we'll be moving into a new house then & soon as I'm settled in I want to get started on a build. I just figured I better start researching now so I'll have a good idea which direction I want to go with the build.
What are your opinions on Super Charger vs. Turbo or Twin Turbo ? Any up or down sides to either ? I've never used either one before. I've never done NOS before either. I've always been kind of scared to as I've seen a few guys mess their motors up with it. That was on the 5.0 push rod motors though. Not sure what they had for internals either.

#14 ·
I would've had to spend just over 10k to get 650 on my 2006 but im having other problems so im not doing it anymore but rebuild alone was just over 7k, along with turbo, 40# injectors, fuel pump, new tires and wheels, it was going to be just over 10k and that is only 650

#16 ·
Hey Corey, Sounds like you were doing what I'm looking to do. So...Can I ask why you chose Turbo over Super Charger ? I'm trying to figure out the difference of what a car will do with each one. All I know is a Super Charger gives more Top End & a Turbo more bottom end.
does either one give you more of a jump off the line? I really need to understand the differences the 2 things make so I can decide which way to go.
Anyone that can tell me.....I'm listening.

#18 ·
Pulley's are easy to change so that's not a big deal. But does either of the 2 make your car faster than the other ? Does one make your car faster at take off & the other make your car faster down the line @ high RPM's ? I don't know if I heard that somewhere B4 or what but for some reason I keep thinking a Super Charger kicks in down the line @ higher RPM's & a Turbo is quicker off the line. It seems all the faster cars on shows like STREET OUTLAWS have Turbo's & Nitrous. I don't like the idea of a bottle of nitrous (explosive gas) sitting in my car should I wreck at some point. So I want to avoid Nitrous completely. I know, I know....the car itself has explosive gas in it. I guess it's because I kind of think of compressed gas as a bomb. Liquid Gas & I think more of fire. I stand a better chance of escaping fire than a bomb...lol.

#20 ·
A supercharger will give you a more linear power band, so the power will be consistent and predictable. A turbo will typically have a jump in power, so for example a turbo will make minimal power until 2500 rpm where it will then spool up quickly and begin producing boost. A turbo charger will also have a delay in throttle response when compared to a supercharger, which is the turbo lag. Also a supercharger will require power to spin, while the turbo will not. There are also two types of superchargers, roots and centrifugal. A roots style is mounted on top of the engine, while a centrifugal is mounted on the front. I've heard that a centrifugal is basically a turbo mounted to the fan belt, so instead of having the exhaust side of the turbo, it's just belt driven.

#30 ·
Would a Coyote motor be a real pain to swap out ? There's one on C.L. for $1500 right now....however, it's all apart. I'm guessing it would be the better bet to achieve 500+ H.P. safely ? I was going to build the 4.6 anyway...so I guess it doesn't matter the 5.0 is apart as long as it's all there & looks good. But what else will I have to swap to make the coyote motor work ? Maybe the guy has those parts too & I can get a deal on everything.

#31 ·
I believe a transmission and ECU will also be needed. I've heard that Ford made a kit for the ECU, but I've never looked into myself. I would also think that you could get the coyote to 500hp na, but it might be difficult. Idk much about the aftermarket for them, sorry. I know for sure that $1500 for a coyote is a good deal, assembled ones usually sell over $5000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.