Shelby GT500 struts and shocks question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
BDG

Region: Missouri
Shelby GT500 struts and shocks question

Are Shelby GT500 OEM struts and shocks an improvement in handling and ride over GT OEM struts and shocks or are they basically the same? I am looking to improve the ride and handling of my 07 GT vert that I drive on the weekends. I don't race it so I am not looking for a 'stiff' ride. I have seen see some sets available on Ebay and wonder if they are an option for me.
BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
From what I can gather, if you use the GT500 upper strut mounts, everything else should work out just fine. It might sit a little different because of the weight difference in the engines.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You could also look at getting a strut tower brace. It tightened up my vert a lot.

Sent from my microwave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
From what I can gather, if you use the GT500 upper strut mounts, everything else should work out just fine. It might sit a little different because of the weight difference in the engines.

I ordered the 500 mounts when I did my new struts just cause I've heard they were stouter, pulled my stock ones out to find they were the same ford part number as the 500 ones I ordered from American muscle. I bought the car with 2k miles and it was bone stock so I don't think they were ever replaced. Made me curious as to why they are advertised as the gt 500 mount or mine were indeed changed

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Good question. I know some things are left stock of course during the conversion but I can't remember right off what all they were. I'll try to do a little research.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
You could also look at getting a strut tower brace. It tightened up my vert a lot.

Sent from my microwave

All verts come with a strut brace from the factory

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Op, to answer your question, the GT500 shocks and struts are valved differently from a regular GT. honestly though, I doubt you will notice a difference. If it were me, I'd just snatch up a set of Koni yellow adjustables and call it a day. They are on sale pretty much everywhere right now. I got the struts on eBay open box for 275 shipped. Which is a killer deal.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
All verts come with a strut brace from the factory

IG @Oxford5pointoh
05-09's did not...
Old 05-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

^ did not know that. There was another thread on here that talked about it. The consensus was that they all came with one factory. My bad if I misspoke

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
BDG

Region: Missouri
My 07 vert did not come with a strut tower brace from the factory. That is on my list to add after I install a set of lowering springs. I have read some different opinions on how much of an improvement a brace adds. I think it is probably more effective on a vert than a coupe.
BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by boink View Post
05-09's did not...
Boink is correct. However I could not really tell how much of a difference my strut brace made. What really made a difference was better struts/shocks along with lowering the car. With that said just make sure you plan things out carefully before you just jump right into it. Having a good solid plan backed up with some research on the Internet along with the experience from people on the forum will help you in the long run.
2008 GT/CS - {SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust- SR Strut Tower Brace - Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Kit - C&L Street CAI - Bama Tune - FRPP Lowering Springs - FRPP Rear Sway Bar - FRPP Struts & Shocks - BMR TCA032 LCAs}
jellyroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT