Originally Posted by bamf3v
So I want to purchase a CAI and a bama tune for my 06 gt.
1. I know absolutely nothing about tuning a car.
2. Can someone please tell me what I need to know about a bama tune and how it all works.
3. Also on the side note I've seen where it say free tunes for life but then it says 2 free custom tunes?
Hey Devyn - Welcome to MustangEvolution.
So you're after a Cold Air Intake & Tuner
- Here's what you need to know if you're to have it purchased here or anywhere else.
Bama along with many other tuning groups has certified tuning monsters that love to work with cars and make them perform at 10/10
With most shops/companies you'll make the purchase and then receive a tuning sheet. This is going to be where you'll list your modifications, tire size, computer code.
Your computer code can be found on the passenger side of your engine by adjacent to your fuse box and is a 4 character combination (letters and numbers) and looks something like this below.
They'll use this information to write tunes that are specific to your vehicle/your computer code as no one Mustang is identical to the next.
What tuners will do is make adjustments to your air/fuel ratio, add a little more fuel, adjust your variable cam timing. Anything and everything to safely extract the power that Ford left locked up in our cars.
With Bama you'll have 2 tunes:
- Performance Tune - Running around town, back-roads tune where you'll see better throttle response through the mid range.
- Race Tune - Despite being a "Race" tune you don't need to be on the track foe it. I use my race tune daily on 93 octane because it's more fun. It's a little most sensitive than the performance tune because it's calibrated to give you the best amount of performance possible.
Apologies for the large pictures.
In regards to the Cold Air - There's many out there and I've gone with plastic over metal in the past as it's a little easier on the eyes, sleeker, and will make more power as it's not fluctuating when it heats and cools.
Here's the exact kit that I have on my '08 Bullitt right now. I'll let the other customers do the talking too!
Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help.