2008 GT Exedy Clutch Slip in Hot Weather - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2008 GT Exedy Clutch Slip in Hot Weather

Hello everyone! I have a clutch slipping problem. I try to be detail oriented so please bear with me as I explain everything

I have a 2008 GT I bought with 87,000 miles on it back on October 2014. It is my daily driver and I take good care of it and have made countless mods to it so far, although the engine itself is stock with no tune. I replaced the stock clutch and everything associated with it back in March 2015, because it was starting to slip on me when it was hot outside or when I idled for too long. In addition, the throw-out bearing was having major engagement problems in hot weather, due to it being worn out (as I found when I changed it) and the dot 3 brake fluid being old.

I put in an Exedy lightweight steel flywheel, Exedy stage 2 clutch, new throw-out bearing, new pilot bearing, new rear main seal, a stainless-steel clutch line, and replaced all the brake fluid with dot 5.1. I also vacuum bled everything and got my pedal pressure back right away. I drove the car really easy for the first 1,000 miles, keeping my shift points at low rpm. The new clutch has been great in "normal" Florida weather, but ever since I changed it, whenever it is really hot outside (were talking 90 to 100 degrees out here), the clutch starts to slip on me when I accelerate from take off. It get's really bad in stop and go traffic or when I am idling for a while at, say, a fast food drive-thru or traffic light stop. I usually have to turn the engine off on a hot day when I'm at a really long traffic light stop and start it back up when the light it about to turn green just to avoid the dangerous clutch slipping that will result if I leave the car running for too long. It gets worse if the radiator fan kicks on as it blows hot air towards the transmission/clutch area. This also means I can never really use my air conditioner since that turns on the fan too and heats up my clutch.

There are only two reasons I can come up with as to why my clutch is slipping like this. First, it could be that I have an oil leak on my rear main seal since I did change it, but I made sure to do a lot of research and I changed it properly and sealed everything properly. My car has been eating up synthetic oil lately but I think it is burning it off because there are no leaks anywhere that I can see and I never see any oil spots anywhere. Plus, if oil is leaking, why does my clutch pull normally in regular weather temps? It should slip in any weather or RPM if it's a leak so I doubt it's that, but I'm not ruling it out.

The second reason I could think of is the extremely crazy Florida heat. I could use some feed back from you guys, does anyone who have a hydraulic clutches and lives in Florida have it slip on you in the heat? I've opened up my lower front grille and put on the MMD heat extractors from American Muscle, so that helps but it's not enough. I'm thinking of routing cooling ducts from from the grille to the transmission area but I doubt it will help much. Does anyone have any suggestions? I almost had to put on my emergency signals today because of how slow my car was accelerating.
2008 Windveil Blue Manual GT. BAMA 91 Performance Tune. LED Starter Button, Retro Shift Knob, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Ebay CAI LOL, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Rear Spoiler, Raxiom Gen5 Taillights, LED Third Brake light, MMD Hood Louvers, MRT Rear window louvers, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, SR Performance Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line, Dot 5.1 brake fluid ftw, JLT Oil Separator, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace, Triton V3 Switchback turnsignals... etc etc
SangheiliSpecOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

So sorry about your clutch. If it's not the oil then, have you bled the lines again? Might be worth a try?
Does your car smoke? If you don't see any oil leaks and no smoke out the exhaust where is all that oil going???

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ragtopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopman View Post
So sorry about your clutch. If it's not the oil then, have you bled the lines again? Might be worth a try?
Does your car smoke? If you don't see any oil leaks and no smoke out the exhaust where is all that oil going???

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I do have extra dot 5.1 brake bluid so I can try bleeding the lines again. As for the oil... It's a mystery! There's no smoke coming from the exhaust and there's no oil leak spots. The front area of the transmission is dry. My car is eating up oil though, I don't know what it could be. I'm about to buy a drain valve for the oil pan so I can more easily do oil changes to check the oil level since I hate checking the dipstick. And I'm also contemplating on buying an oil leak sealant additive to fix any small leak I may have. Hopefully that wouldn't leave any residue in the engine or mess with seals over time. I really, REALLY don't want to take down the transmission again for a long while
2008 Windveil Blue Manual GT. BAMA 91 Performance Tune. LED Starter Button, Retro Shift Knob, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Ebay CAI LOL, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Rear Spoiler, Raxiom Gen5 Taillights, LED Third Brake light, MMD Hood Louvers, MRT Rear window louvers, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, SR Performance Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line, Dot 5.1 brake fluid ftw, JLT Oil Separator, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace, Triton V3 Switchback turnsignals... etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I live in the Tampa area and I've never had a major issue with the clutch slipping. It will slip a little bit between 1st and 2nd if I'm really banging through gears, but that's it. I have a 2005 with the stock clutch as far as I know and 73,000 miles.
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyOnTheBeach View Post
I live in the Tampa area and I've never had a major issue with the clutch slipping. It will slip a little bit between 1st and 2nd if I'm really banging through gears, but that's it. I have a 2005 with the stock clutch as far as I know and 73,000 miles.
Very interesting... Perhaps I installed the rear main seal incorrectly from the beginning and some oil has been on the clutch the whole time? Who knows, I'm not taking the damned thing apart again for a long while lol. It turns out that my car was slipping very badly the day I posted this thread because it was 107 degrees outside, that will do it! The car has driven normally since then. Florida is just too hot sometimes...
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha yeah I can definitely agree with that. I'm glad that everything is working for you now.
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT