06 GT automatic hesitates between 2nd and 3rd - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

Region: California
06 GT automatic hesitates between 2nd and 3rd

Hi group. I have an 06 GT automatic with a roush supercharger kit I put on several years ago. A couple months ago I noticed a hesitation only after shifting to 3rd. Its like a momentary RPM drop hesitation . It causes me to be jerked in the seat a little. Are there any service bulletins on this and has anyone experienced this? Thanks
hotrodohn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

I disconnected the battery and did a relearn on the ECU last night. The car shifted like a champ and accelerated like a sling shot.Id rather not have to do a battery disconnect every 2 weeks. I was doing some searching through the forums and found a thread where they were doing a disconnect on the circuit breaker (I think it was #47) which is supposed to delete the memory of the adaptive shifting in the PCM. But I see they were in reference to the 2011-2014 models (Mine is a 2006 GT). That mod sounds like what I want. I like how it runs and shifts after an ecu reboot and I wish it would stay that way.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodohn71 View Post
I disconnected the battery and did a relearn on the ECU last night. The car shifted like a champ and accelerated like a sling shot.Id rather not have to do a battery disconnect every 2 weeks. I was doing some searching through the forums and found a thread where they were doing a disconnect on the circuit breake (I think it was 47) which is supposed to delete the memory of the adaptive shifting in the PCM. But I see they were in reference to the 2011-2014 models. That mod sounds like what I want. I like how it runs and shifts after an ecu reboot and I wish it would stay that way.
So the engine actually seems to hesitate?
How hard does it shift? I sometimes wonder if a really firm shift can trigger a knock sensor-- Not sure how that is set up on those cars, but the higher amount of power going through the trans would amplify this possibility.

It could be sensing false knock, and then R-Tarding the timing a bit.

Although, it is hard to say on these because there is so much crap that can effect it (thts why I didn't get an s197). Sometimes its hard to know where to start.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Hi Panther, thanks for your reply. The hesitation (When it was occuring before I did the relearn) would occur when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and only in low rmp mild driving conditions like around the neighborhood or under 35mph areas. What it would do is shift smoothly from 1 to 2 then right after shifting to 3rd, the rpms would momentarily drop for a split second then proceed through the rest of the gears no problem. Most peole wouldnt be bothered by this but it bothers me. It shifts smooth as glass after the ECU relearn, but I have a feeling the issue will return in a couple of weeks. I love this car, just want to iron out the kinks.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Those cars have so many electrical components to them that can easily be confused by themselves. Something caused this in the first place, it could have sensed knock a few times and then programmed that into how it shifts the car.

like I said, it is really hard to know what these cars are thinking. Unless you can actually view the codes for the programs inside of them, its a crap shoot half of the time.

you've got ABS telling the throttle what to do, knock sensors telling the timing what to do, ABS also telling the timing what to do, TPS telling the throttle what to do, clunks and **** tricking the knock sensor into R-trading the timing for non-existent knock, cam phasers doing unpredictable things that also can cause issues..

So yeah-- pretty much just hang on tight and hope the car is merciful about how often it does things like this. It can be extremely frustrating at times if you're not the guy who programmed these things.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT