Racing then shutting engine off bad? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Racing then shutting engine off bad?

I've done research all over and can not get a answer.

Is it bad to race, then after the race is over park the car and shut engine off?

Bad for it??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I think the only time you have to worry is when you abruptly shut off a turboed car but I'm not sure.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

One or two runs to 80 or 90 mph, I don't see a problem shutting it off afterward. One run to 165 mph and holding it there for a mile......I'd open the hood and let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it off.
One other thing to consider is having the car (and the oil) good and warm before doing full throttle roll ons. I had an oil temperature gauge in one of my old cars, and it was a LONG time after the water temp gauge showed normal temps before the oil got there too.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I wouldn't...we are talking at the strip correct?
Old 12-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I wouldn't...we are talking at the strip correct?
For sure......either that or the Veyron test track.....
Old 12-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo cars are an exception because they need to idle after hard runs before shutting them down to allow the turbo to cool down.

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerz28 View Post
Turbo cars are an exception because they need to idle after hard runs before shutting them down to allow the turbo to cool down.

Sent from Rapinators trunk
But now a days (i think the ecoboost is this way) even after you shut down your car the turbo continues to be cooled.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
One or two runs to 80 or 90 mph, I don't see a problem shutting it off afterward. One run to 165 mph and holding it there for a mile......I'd open the hood and let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it off.

One other thing to consider is having the car (and the oil) good and warm before doing full throttle roll ons. I had an oil temperature gauge in one of my old cars, and it was a LONG time after the water temp gauge showed normal temps before the oil got there too.

As far as the engine is concerned speed doesn't matter it's the RPMs that the engine is at. Depending on gearing, etc a car can go 140-150 and have less of a strain on the engine then going 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
As far as the engine is concerned speed doesn't matter it's the RPMs that the engine is at. Depending on gearing, etc a car can go 140-150 and have less of a strain on the engine then going 50.
Two things here.........165 mph is going to require the GT be in 6th gear........and, anyone going 50 mph in 1st gear for any prolonged length of time probably deserves what might happen to his engine.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Racing from a 40mph roll and then just parking it right afterwards... No this definitely isn't street racing.

Take it to the track dude.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Racing from a 40mph roll and then just parking it right afterwards... No this definitely isn't street racing.

Take it to the track dude.
I assumed he meant driving back to the stage and shutting it down..

Old 12-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
The hardest thing on a N/A motor is starting it....not stopping it.
As mentioned just make sure the motor is up to temperature before you plant you're right foot on the floor.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Turnboed cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I think the only time you have to worry is when you abruptly shut off a turboed car but I'm not sure.

I think that was the case years ago when you had to let turbos cool down by idling for awhile before shutting down, but most turbos are intercooled now, or don't require cool down--I could be wrong.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah I mentioned that in a later post

Old 12-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'm getting a little off topic but the problem with turbos even now is oil coking or carbon from heat in their bearings after shutdown. All OEM installs have water cooled bearings and sometimes even a separate electric water pump. If the oil can be kept moving too this really helps so I always idle a turbo for a minute. Don't fast idle as it takes awhile for the bearing shaft to spin down when the engine stops.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

There are 3 or 4 STI owners at my unit and one dude with an Evo. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM runs a turbo timer. We all roll in around the same time at 7 and if I pull in next to one of their cars half the time its running and nobody is in it lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

The last turbo I had was an 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. The top end of the motor was breathed on by Esslinger Engineering one thing he harped on was letting the motor come up to temperature before heading out and letting it idle for between 1 and not more than 2 minutes before shutting it down.
I'm going to embarking on an OE twin turbo setup next month and it will be interesting to read the manual and what it recommends. With that said I'm not going to treat the twin turbo setup any different than the one in my Turbo Coupe. I'll let it come up to temperature during startup and I'll either drive it without heavy use of my right foot when I get 3/5 miles from home or let it idle for a minute or so when I get home and then shut it down.
I still believe that the hardest point of an engines life is when you start it from cold......letting it sit more than 3 hours........and I equate that to turbo's also as I believe most are supplied with the engines oiling system.
Kind of like a turbine helicopter...........I've done a fair amount of flying in helicopters....they start the turbine and sit on the ground until everything comes to temperature.........and the reverse is that they when they land they idle the turbine for 2/5 minutes before shutting it down.
So, it's up to each individual as far as how they want to treat their motor...tubo'd and N/A....IMHO
Old 12-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
a gradual work up/cool down is good for ALL motors. idk if it can be proven but gut feeling is all we have to go on.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
The last turbo I had was an 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. The top end of the motor was breathed on by Esslinger Engineering one thing he harped on was letting the motor come up to temperature before heading out and letting it idle for between 1 and not more than 2 minutes before shutting it down.
I'm going to embarking on an OE twin turbo setup next month and it will be interesting to read the manual and what it recommends. With that said I'm not going to treat the twin turbo setup any different than the one in my Turbo Coupe. I'll let it come up to temperature during startup and I'll either drive it without heavy use of my right foot when I get 3/5 miles from home or let it idle for a minute or so when I get home and then shut it down.
I still believe that the hardest point of an engines life is when you start it from cold......letting it sit more than 3 hours........and I equate that to turbo's also as I believe most are supplied with the engines oiling system.
Kind of like a turbine helicopter...........I've done a fair amount of flying in helicopters....they start the turbine and sit on the ground until everything comes to temperature.........and the reverse is that they when they land they idle the turbine for 2/5 minutes before shutting it down.
So, it's up to each individual as far as how they want to treat their motor...tubo'd and N/A....IMHO
I remember that an aftermarket engine "pre-luber" used to be available for the turbo cars back in the 80's. They would build oil pressure before startup, and would keep the oil circulating for a pre-set amount of time after the key was turned off, to avoid "coking" the bearings.
I never purchased one for my Turbo Coupe, so I became very proficient at rebuilding turbochargers, back in the day. Lol.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I remember that an aftermarket engine "pre-luber" used to be available for the turbo cars back in the 80's. They would build oil pressure before startup, and would keep the oil circulating for a pre-set amount of time after the key was turned off, to avoid "coking" the bearings.
I never purchased one for my Turbo Coupe, so I became very proficient at rebuilding turbochargers, back in the day. Lol.
I've used an accusump/pre-oiler from Canton for over 25 years on my drag cars. When Canton first brought them out they called them "Pre-oilers"...my first one was a 2qt.
I never used one on my TC although Esslinger did modify an Spearco SVO Mustang Intercooler along with his head/cam/oiling system mod's and I believe we had someones adjustable cam gear with either 3 or 4 degrees advanced. The reason for the larger intercooler is that he set the motor up for 20psi boost...and back in the early 90's that was considered "A Ton"......the car was not a stoplight bandit....although on the open road it was a monster.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yes! Pre-oiler.
I couldn't remember. I knew "pre-luber" didn't sound right.
Haha. I think that I made up a new word!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Two things here.........165 mph is going to require the GT be in 6th gear........and, anyone going 50 mph in 1st gear for any prolonged length of time probably deserves what might happen to his engine.
My engine is running strong after two and a half years of this type of abuse. It has been the one and only part of this car to be reliable.

Even on the newer turbo cars, we do have to leave them running between runs for two reasons. First turbo heat has to be brought back down. Second, we are running the fans on the intercooler and radiator, while spraying the intercooler (and if it is a top mount, placing a bag of ice on it).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes! Pre-oiler.
I couldn't remember. I knew "pre-luber" didn't sound right.
Haha. I think that I made up a new word!
Pre-luber, isn't that a fluffer?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Pre-luber, isn't that a fluffer?
Bahahahaha

We are thinking the exact same thing!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT