Knocking Sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Knocking Sound

My car starts this knocking sound when i come to a stop, then It barely idles until I rev it up and then it behaves normally. It's been getting progressively worse. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone else have an idea what the problem could be? I don't have any CEL. My car also surges at idle with the A/C on but idles normally with it off.
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

So my check engine light came on today. The code was for a camshaft position sensor, however I replaced both sensors and the alternator less than 10,000 miles ago. Is there anything else that could cause the CEL? Thanks
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It may be one of the variable camshaft timing solenoids going bad. How many miles does your Mustang have? A bad VCT solenoid will not throw a code. As a diagnosis, you can unplug the solenoids on both sides of the engine and drive with them that way. The car will be stuck on idle timing as you drive so there will be a loss of power but if the car acts normally after you come to a stop with the solenoids unplugged, then you know they are the problem. One of them is most likely sticking on and making your timing stuck on advanced position when you come to a stop, which will cause hesitation, tapping noises, and overall a bad running engine. The same thing was happening to me recently and it was all fixed when I replaced the passenger side VCT solenoid.

Here are two recently posted youtube videos that helped me. and

Keep in mind that your problem can be a range of things but I have some experience with my 4.6 engine and what you described to me seems like the VCT solenoid. Your problem can also be a dirty throttle body or a bad throttle position sensor, among other things.

Also, cool to see you are in Florida too!
2008 Windveil Blue Manual GT. BAMA 91 Performance Tune. LED Starter Button, Retro Shift Knob, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Ebay CAI LOL, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Rear Spoiler, Raxiom Gen5 Taillights, LED Third Brake light, MMD Hood Louvers, MRT Rear window louvers, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, SR Performance Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line, Dot 5.1 brake fluid ftw, JLT Oil Separator, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace, Triton V3 Switchback turnsignals... etc etc
SangheiliSpecOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT