5w40 synthetic oil in 4.6 l ?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
5w40 synthetic oil in 4.6 l ??

Has anoyone ran the 5w40 synthetic like Castrol GAS engine Syntec oil in these motors. I Will not use 5w20 it cost me an engine once already. I am running 5w30 Syntec now.
1970Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I do not believe 5w20 cost you a motor. In most circumstances you will not see a difference.

With that said I would stick with 5w30 if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I run Shell Rotella T6 (5w-40) in all my modulars. 5w-20 is actually not the original spec for the modular anyway, 5w-30 is. My hood sticker on my Mustang even says 5w-30 even tho the oil cap says 5w-20. 20 weight was only made "standard" due to CAFE.

I run 5w-40 in my 5.4L Expedition because it has helped with oil consumption on that higher mileage engine. I am going to run 5w-40 in my 2000 when its up and running again because centrifugal blowers beat the living **** out of oil and T6 is designed for turbo diesels and is much more durable than "normal" oil.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

5w20 is to thin for some motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I do not believe 5w20 cost you a motor. In most circumstances you will not see a difference.

With that said I would stick with 5w30 if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Well it did cost me a motor is was 5w20 mobil one and a fram ultra guard filter. in a Chrysler v-6. The thing is the fram filter media broke down and the 5w20 got to sheared down or to thin and it spun bearings. With only 2,000 miles into an oil change and the car only had 77k miles and we had always used the mobil one 5w20 in it. The machine shop that did the repair told me they see about 10-12 motors a month from the 5w20 not protecting enough under higher heat. Some motors it will thin out and not protect like it should they recommend at least 5w30 on any motor out there and on high performance they recommend 10w40. That is why I am asking about the 5w40. I currently have a 98 f150 with a 5.4 in it with 300k miles and use 10w40 Castrol high mileage or Pennzoil high mileage in it now and it does great.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

5w40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I run Shell Rotella T6 (5w-40) in all my modulars. 5w-20 is actually not the original spec for the modular anyway, 5w-30 is. My hood sticker on my Mustang even says 5w-30 even tho the oil cap says 5w-20. 20 weight was only made "standard" due to CAFE.

I run 5w-40 in my 5.4L Expedition because it has helped with oil consumption on that higher mileage engine. I am going to run 5w-40 in my 2000 when its up and running again because centrifugal blowers beat the living **** out of oil and T6 is designed for turbo diesels and is much more durable than "normal" oil.
I think your right on the 5w40 for higher mileage and performance. My only concern about the diesel oil would be the additives they use that might mess with the cat converters or emission control junk. I have heard of the things like high zinc content will harm the converters that is why I was considering the US formula of Castrol for the gas engines they sell it at Advance auto. I know of some guys using the Penzoil platinum synthetic oil 5w40 European formula in there mustangs and have had no issues. So I am not sure of the differences in the rotella and the penzoil I would love to know if it will not harm them because I love the rotella 5w40 use it in a cummins diesel and a old ford van with a 351 in it and it works great.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

I haven't heard of anyone legit having issues with the cats with the higher zinc content oil. Have not had issues myself with the truck.

As for your issue, that was the Fram filter not the oil...and its well known that Fram filters are **** and your story is not the first one I've heard of a Fram filter costing a motor. And EVERYONE will say they've "read online" or whatever. There was actually a documented $20k motor lost to a Fram filter on the Corral, dude provided pics of documents and everything that he got because he was going after Honeywell for a new motor.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Fr*m is junk

Quote:
I haven't heard of anyone legit having issues with the cats with the higher zinc content oil. Have not had issues myself with the truck.

As for your issue, that was the Fram filter not the oil...and its well known that Fram filters are **** and your story is not the first one I've heard of a Fram filter costing a motor. And EVERYONE will say they've "read online" or whatever. There was actually a documented $20k motor lost to a Fram filter on the Corral, dude provided pics of documents and everything that he got because he was going after Honeywell for a new motor.
I agree with you 100% on the Fr*m issue. The guy that told me about the 5w20 has been building engines in SE NC for over 40 years and he swore that the 5w20 oils especially the synthetics thin out. He told me he gets in a lot with with fram wix and other filters on them he does not see the media brake down in the wix/napa, motorcraft,or Purolator filters like he does with the frams but still sees the bearings either scored or spun. He says the Hondas and Chryslers especially the Hemi's, are the ones he sees the most with the damage. He told me the cam shafts and cam bearings on the hemis really go and that is why Chrysler now recommends 5w40 in them now to. I know also the NCHP and local Sheriffs dept. had a lot of trouble with the 5w20 doing this same thing and they used napa gold filters and they have now switched to 10w30 oil not sure of the brand though. I might just be scared of it can take another $4,000 hit so I will either use the 5w30 or 5w40 for sure. And Definitely will not use any FRAM OIL FILTERS.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its actually the orange death cans that are the real bad ones but I would not trust any Fram product. WIX or don't even bother.

I also agree that 20 weight is just too damn thin but that's coming from someone who is not an engineer and just a "backyard" auto mechanic.

Although I am an aircraft mechanic and the oil we use in our engines is REALLY thin. Then again, we run at tens of thousands of RPM so.... kinda needs to be.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I thought I'd throw in my opinion for what it's worth. I use Royal Purple 5w-20 with K&N's
K&N SS-2010 oil filter. My car is stored during the winter months, but, I have had no problems with the combination. Before I switched to this oil filter, I did use K&N's replaceable oil filters.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
take apart a motorcraft filter and you'll find it to be a motorcrap filter like the fram.go with wix.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
5w40 synthetic oil in 4.6 l ??

I run Amsoil signture 5w-30 with wix filter, in my Roush. It might be expensive, but it's worth it. Going to do the same thing with my GT when it's ready for an oil change. But I'll be using Amsoil XL.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Why anyone wouldn't use Motorcraft filters in their Mustang is troubling.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Ronnie View Post
Well it did cost me a motor is was 5w20 mobil one and a fram ultra guard filter. in a Chrysler v-6. The thing is the fram filter media broke down and the 5w20 got to sheared down or to thin and it spun bearings. With only 2,000 miles into an oil change and the car only had 77k miles and we had always used the mobil one 5w20 in it. The machine shop that did the repair told me they see about 10-12 motors a month from the 5w20 not protecting enough under higher heat. Some motors it will thin out and not protect like it should they recommend at least 5w30 on any motor out there and on high performance they recommend 10w40. That is why I am asking about the 5w40. I currently have a 98 f150 with a 5.4 in it with 300k miles and use 10w40 Castrol high mileage or Pennzoil high mileage in it now and it does great.
The oil was not your problem. Using that garbage filter was your problem.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

i don't use motorcrap nothing after it cost me a motor.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I use Motorcraft on my car and its worked well so far. But i also don't care about this engine too much. I'll be glad the day this engine seizes and dies so i can pull it out and junk it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

i would use wix in your new one.motorcraft used to make a good filter but they don't no more and i found out the hard way.if you take one apart you'll find it to be just as cheaply made as the fram and for all them gm guys out there,ac delco is just as cheap.just google it and you'll find all sorts of videos on this subject with actual results and examples.IMO....if motorcraft can't produce an oil filter that can stand up to the task of filtering oil with out starving oil pumps and bearings of oil then i'm sures the hell not gonna trust any product they have to offer.i deal in parts day in and day out.there is too many after market parts that are better for less money.but again,this is my opinion.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newedge01 View Post
i would use wix in your new one.motorcraft used to make a good filter but they don't no more and i found out the hard way.if you take one apart you'll find it to be just as cheaply made as the fram and for all them gm guys out there,ac delco is just as cheap.just google it and you'll find all sorts of videos on this subject with actual results and examples.IMO....if motorcraft can't produce an oil filter that can stand up to the task of filtering oil with out starving oil pumps and bearings of oil then i'm sures the hell not gonna trust any product they have to offer.i deal in parts day in and day out.there is too many after market parts that are better for less money.but again,this is my opinion.
Wix makes filters for NAPA. The Gold series is very good.

I went to the dealer for my oil changes, because my car was new and I wanted to be sure everything was in order. Now that I have 5,000 miles on her I'll do the changes myself, and use Napa Gold filters.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

yes sir,gold series napa filters are very good and if i owned that 2015 you have,that is all i would use.nice car!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

hey scurfie i have some updated news about napa wix filters.they will no longer be wix manufactured.they will now be fram,rockhill and baldwin.can you guys believe this crap?!
k&n and royal purple are great filters too and o'reilly's(if there in your neck of the woods)has wix.always make sure you get a filter with a coiled spring by-pass valve and not a leaf spring type like motorcraft.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hey scurfie i have some updated news about napa wix filters.they will no longer be wix manufactured.they will now be fram,rockhill and baldwin.can you guys believe this crap?!
k&n and royal purple are great filters too and o'reilly's(if there in your neck of the woods)has wix.always make sure you get a filter with a coiled spring by-pass valve and not a leaf spring type like motorcraft.
Seriously? Well that's just great. Thank you for the heads-up on NAPA.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

motorcaft??

Quote:
take apart a motorcraft filter and you'll find it to be a motorcrap filter like the fram.go with wix.
I have talked to a engineer who worked and retired from Purolator in Fayetteville NC were they make the oil filters he told me that Ford demanded the highest quality they could make in the filters they made for them he said that you could not buy a better filter than a Motorcraft off the shelf. IDK but he said they were better than the Top of the line Blue Purolator's???
Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

napa no longer wix??

Quote:
Wow did not know this. When did this happen?? I would like to know. I will not use FRAM at all, but I did like the napa filters aka WIX???
Old 12-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Unless something has changed REALLY recently this is not the case. I've seen cutouts of the Motorcraft and Orange Death cans next to each other and the Motorcraft is clearly superior. Like I said unless something changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Why anyone wouldn't use Motorcraft filters in their Mustang is troubling.
There are better filters out there. But too many times you'll see the orange can of doom poking out from under a car if you look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The oil was not your problem. Using that garbage filter was your problem.
That's what I said.

Quote:
i don't use motorcrap nothing after it cost me a motor.
I'd like to hear exactly what happened. Anything can fail btw, I have seen a legit documented incident of on orange Fram taking out a motor and heard of others but never a MC. Not saying it can't happen.

Quote:
Can you provide a link to this story? I just did a quick google search and didn't find anything but if true that sucks. The good news is that I have Amazon Prime and WIX filters qualify for free 2 day shipping so I can always just get the legit WIX branded one for a good price.

Quote:
I have talked to a engineer who worked and retired from Purolator in Fayetteville NC were they make the oil filters he told me that Ford demanded the highest quality they could make in the filters they made for them he said that you could not buy a better filter than a Motorcraft off the shelf. IDK but he said they were better than the Top of the line Blue Purolator's???
I had heard that awhile back Motorcraft had switched to Honeywell which makes Fram but its to a different spec and obviously must meet minimum OEM criteria. Actually the more expensive Fram filters are not terrible but not the best either. Again, it is the orange cans that are the really terribad ones.

Quote:
Wow did not know this. When did this happen?? I would like to know. I will not use FRAM at all, but I did like the napa filters aka WIX???
I asked him a few quotes above for a reference, this is crappy if true but like I said there are other places to get WIX filters from and Amazon ships them free. Rockauto has them too but you pay shipping.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Wix better than ??

Quote:
Unless something has changed REALLY recently this is not the case. I've seen cutouts of the Motorcraft and Orange Death cans next to each other and the Motorcraft is clearly superior. Like I said unless something changed.

There are better filters out there. But too many times you'll see the orange can of doom poking out from under a car if you look...

That's what I said.

I'd like to hear exactly what happened. Anything can fail btw, I have seen a legit documented incident of on orange Fram taking out a motor and heard of others but never a MC. Not saying it can't happen.

Can you provide a link to this story? I just did a quick google search and didn't find anything but if true that sucks. The good news is that I have Amazon Prime and WIX filters qualify for free 2 day shipping so I can always just get the legit WIX branded one for a good price.

I had heard that awhile back Motorcraft had switched to Honeywell which makes Fram but its to a different spec and obviously must meet minimum OEM criteria. Actually the more expensive Fram filters are not terrible but not the best either. Again, it is the orange cans that are the really terribad ones.

I asked him a few quotes above for a reference, this is crappy if true but like I said there are other places to get WIX filters from and Amazon ships them free. Rockauto has them too but you pay shipping.
Do you think the WIX is better than the Top of the line others like K&N Purolator Gold or Blue ETC?? I just am scared to death ever since the Fram CAN OF DEATH Got me. Thanks love allk the feed back you guys are giving..
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes, WIX is going to be your top of the line filter.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ok just googled "Who makes Motorcraft oil filters" and found a old post on the F150 online forum and there was some guys who researched this a few years back and both of them called spoke to someone at Purolator and here is what they got.
Motorcraft filters are made by Purolatour and they are made to a higher standard than the premium or "White" Filters with a different paper media similar to the "Pure-One" or Yellow filter but with the same casing material as the White filter however the motorcraft has a different drain back valve and inner spring at the top is what I gathered. Now this was back early 2000's though and things might have changed not sure.. If any one has updated info on this please share cause I really like the FL-820s especially for the availability and price.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Diffrent Wix??

Quote:
Yes, WIX is going to be your top of the line filter.
Is there different grade or brands of wix filters?? Cause I have gotten them from O"Rileys before one was black and the next time it was white. Just wandering.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is the Wix and Wix XP. Apparently the regular Wix actually filters a little better on most engines because the XP is designed for high flow that isn't used for most street vehicles. You'd use it on a build with a high volume pump.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

ok,now that ive got everyone freaking out.i got with my napa rep today and he said they are still going with wix and that is a rumor.sorry to shoot the gun before i spoke with him and i apologize.as far as my motorcraft filter ordeal,it was the filter that starved my pump and bearings of oil.had a couple of real good mechanics help on my rebuild and they both confirmed from all thier experience and years of turning wrenches that is was the oil filter that caused this mishap only 80 miles into the the fresh oil change.again guys i'm sorry for the wrong napa info and next time i'll verify my info before posting.but as far as motorcraft and me....were done with that brand.wix is my only filter choice at this time.my napa rep also said that you only want to use the gold or silver series.the proselect series are cheaper for a reason.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok good, that means I can still get the Golds from the place 5 minutes down the road. I only ever buy the Gold.

And if you have a documented filter failure from MC you probably have a court case on your hands if you wanted to pursue it but it might cost as much as a new motor... im sure you already explored that option.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

good news

Quote:
ok,now that ive got everyone freaking out.i got with my napa rep today and he said they are still going with wix and that is a rumor.sorry to shoot the gun before i spoke with him and i apologize.as far as my motorcraft filter ordeal,it was the filter that starved my pump and bearings of oil.had a couple of real good mechanics help on my rebuild and they both confirmed from all thier experience and years of turning wrenches that is was the oil filter that caused this mishap only 80 miles into the the fresh oil change.again guys i'm sorry for the wrong napa info and next time i'll verify my info before posting.but as far as motorcraft and me....were done with that brand.wix is my only filter choice at this time.my napa rep also said that you only want to use the gold or silver series.the proselect series are cheaper for a reason.
That's good news . Glad to know that, Is the Napa Silver the same as the Wix Black or White from O'Rileys. I want one that flows good oil pressure but still filters good.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Silver and Gold will be the basic WIX filter I think the part number is 51372 for the 4.6L motor.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

ok thanks.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

i've talked to a couple of reps from mc but it was nothin they we're interested in hearing.this all happened about 6 years ago in 2010 so now i give motorcrap all the free advertising i can.
everything on my motor now is all high performance stuff that motorcrap can't keep up with.
did i mention the car only had about 50,000 miles on it.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

wow, I know how you feel. they will never admit any kind of fought. I had the mobil one and fram reps all fired up neither of them would talk about it. I did find some info on "Bob's the oil guy" forum and some TBN anyalist testing on Mobil one and it was not to good. They push Penzoil based on the testing's they have on file and the Mobil one and Valvoline were the worst.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT