Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2006 GT Engine swap

4K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  Recon 
#1 ·
Alright, so I live in the Nashville area and found a 2006 Mustang that was originally a V6 but had an engine swap to the 4.6L V8, and now needs another engine because of a lower end knock. it's been fully repainted, and has Roush front bumper and GT/CS rear bumper, Mac Axelback exhaust, full leather seats, and currently does still run ( but not sure for how long ). Also idles low sometimes at stop lights, and has had the cam phasers, can position sensors and chain kit all installed by a professional mechanic. I have someone who has a 4.6L engine they could drop in it from an older body style ( probably a 2002-2004 Mustang GT ) and was wondering:

1: Will that engine fit into the 2006 GT and is it compatible with that car?

2: How much would you value this car at, knowing it needed a new engine?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Muscle car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Blue
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Family car
Vehicle Car Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive window part
Car Vehicle Vehicle door Bumper Family car

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#2 ·
Also, will probably be modding this car, as it will probably be a project car, so will adding headers, CAI, new gears (3.37), different exhaust, a tune, ford racing high performance intake manifold, ect, will that be okay to mod into a 2V engine as far as fitment, pressure and such?

#19 ·
won't the throttle body and air intake run into a different spot than the 3v motors? on the 2v the throttle body is towards the windshield, and it runs from the top to the bottom left (standing in front of the car ) and 3v has the throttle body towards the front of the car, going to the bottom right.

#6 ·
You need a 3V.

#10 · (Edited)
#12 ·
#13 ·
I believe $2700.00 is a fair price for an engine with very low miles. Do some looking around and see what you think. Also keep in mind the 2010 was rated at 315 HP because they run the Bullit heads. It's just worth noting.
Jim

#18 ·
I believe $2700.00 is a fair price for an engine with very low miles. Do some looking around and see what you think. Also keep in mind the 2010 was rated at 315 HP because they run the Bullit heads. It's just worth noting.

Jim

that doesn't sound too bad, especially with the 315hp and it would just fit RIGHT into the car, which would be awesome, it would just be a matter of how long I would want to wait for the car to be up and running ?

#17 ·
I thought about that, but it would be easier to just drop the new engine in, also could push the engine harder if it's a completely a different engine, rather than taking a chance that I know someone else has probably run hard. I could get a 2005-2007 engine with about 30k-60k miles on it for about $1500

#23 ·
well, not including the car for $4000, probably about $3000 or $3,500

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

not including the car for $4,000, around $3,000 or $3,500

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

not including the car for $4,000, around $3,000 or $3,500

#26 · (Edited)
I'm showing 13 hours of labor to R&R the engine. Depending on who you take it to; the labor alone will be in the area of a grand. 13 hours doesn't include the transfer of any parts. Just to take the engine out and put another in. Doesn't include the transfer of optional equipment.

Every day is a joyride.

#27 ·
Here's a plan. Drop in a bone stock 05-10 3v engine just to make the car reliable. Keep the current 3v, and put it on an engine stand and do a full build on it. Rotating assembly, heads, cams etc.... You will have all the time you need, then you can just drop it in and be good to go (with a tune)

#28 ·
I was going to drop a stock 3v engine and just keep the only engine also in fact. not sure if I'll have the time for money to rebuild the other engine, because by then, I'll have another engine with only 40k miles on it, and it will run okay.

#30 · (Edited)
It depends on the labor rates of who you are taking it to. It's just a rough estimate. I looked up an 06 GT in one of my sources. It shows 3V with and auto 13.0 hours to R&R the engine. Does not include transfer of optional equipment parts. So expect the labor to be around a grand. Then again it can be more. Just depends on the shop you take it to.

Every day is a joyride.

#31 ·
I talked to a mechanic and he said it would be about $1,100 for labor. The other problem is, the guy selling the car won't go any lower than $3,800. Do you think a car that's about to throw a rod worth $3,800? and How much do you estimate I could really sell the car for once it's running again?

#32 ·
I talked to a mechanic and he said it would be about $1,100 for labor. The other problem is, the guy selling the car won't go any lower than $3,800. Do you think a car that's about to throw a rod worth $3,800? and How much do you estimate I could really sell the car for once it's running again?

#34 ·
it was $4,00 at first, then I said $3,400 then he said he couldn't go below $3,800. Some mechanics said they wouldn't give over $2,000 for the car which is kinda concerning me if I'm paying way too much for this.

#35 ·
Car looks nice but since it was a conversion from a 6 in the 1st place you may be looking at more problems than just the engine. But if you have the time and could do the work yourself maybe it would be ok. It blue books with a good engine 6 cylinder at around 3,800 so 2k would be as much as I would go on it also!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.