Supercharger question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Supercharger question

Greetings! I’m new to the forum, and would love to get some opinions on something that I’m considering for my 2010 Mustang GT.

First, let me start by saying that I’m not an expert (at all) on Mustangs, or cars in general. I’m approaching you guys as someone completely new to performance cars. I bought a used Mustang in June of last year – it was somebody’s baby. Right now, it’s got about 84,000 miles on it. The previous owner put an Airaid cold air intake system into it, but as far as I can tell, everything else is stock. I bought it based on how it drove when I tested it. Immediately after purchasing it, I took it to a mechanic to verify that it has no issues (it didn’t.) So far, it’s been awesome.

I’m considering purchasing a supercharger for it – specifically, a Vortech centrifugal charger. I would be purchasing the complete kit. One of these is what I’m thinking: 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L 3V Supercharging Systems | Vortech Superchargers

I have done tons of research and asked countless people about doing it. I have poured through the forums on various websites and have received mixed advice from friends who are more knowledgeable than me, and I am torn. My budget is about $8,000, which would cover the labor and the kit itself. I do not, however, have money to rebuild the engine if it blows, and this is my daily driver. I would have to buy a beater and would be unable to completely rebuild the engine in this Mustang if forced induction results in me ruining the engine – this baby would be an expensive yard decoration for an indeterminate amount of time should that occur. I absolutely do not want that to happen.

So, my question boils down to: is it too much risk to install a supercharger into this stock engine? Can the stock internals handle the extra stress of a centrifugal charger? I do not intend to race it – I just have some extra money to spend right now and would like to make my drive to work in the morning more fun (not that it isn’t already.) Am I at a high risk for blowing the engine, or significantly reducing the life expectancy, with this supercharger? Will the 'canned tune' that comes with the purchase of the kit be adequate? I intend to drive it every day for at least the next 6 years or so, putting about 15,000 miles on it per year.

Any advice is appreciated. I apologize if any of these are dumb questions. Thank you very much in advance to anyone who chooses to help!
lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think you would be good; however don't come yell at me when it craps out. Anything can happen and if you're already scared/indecisive about it, then don't do it. I put a tvs on my motor at 50k and I'm sitting at 67 right now. (Stock motor). I get on it quite often too but I have accepted the possible consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It should be fine but I honestly wouldn't do it unless you are prepared for the worst outcome which is a blown engine. That is just part of modding a car that things can go wrong.

If you want more power and it be 100% reliable you may want to consider trading it in for an 11+ GT with a 5.0 with an extended warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

Region: Florida
Thanks so much for the responses, guys!
lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT