Poly bushings binding or pinion angle problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Poly bushings binding or pinion angle problem

Hello everyone

I'm having some problems on acceleration which I've narrowed down to either a bad pinion angle or poly bushing binding. I replaced my upper and lower control arms as well as the differential bushing, but here's the whole story.

So recently my 2008 GT started having a really bad wheel hop problem. It was bad enough to where the car was effectively undriveable. I am a newbie when it comes to suspension but I first replaced my upper control arm to Whitelines adjustable upper arm (most people would have probably started with the easier to replace lowers) and that solved the problem temporary.

Now, I never noted down the original pinion angle when I had the stock upper control arm on, and I didn't make much effort to adjust the Whiteline upper properly either. Honestly with the crush tube, as some of you may know, there's not too much room for adjustability anyways, plus I figured that the two piece driveshaft would account for any angle difference. Keep in mind I'm also at a stock ride hight here.
Well I was wrong, and I noticed a huge loss of power on acceleration. I also noticed a loud whining sound. I knew the arm was extended fully at the time, and unfortunately Whiteline's arm is only adjustable when it's off the car. So I had to drop the fuel tank and all of that jazz again and this time I put the arm at it's shortest length, which is only at a one inch difference from it's longest length. The car drove better than before with no huge loss of power or whining sound, so that one inch made a whole lot of difference.

Shortly after that, the rubber differential bushing gave out. It was probably the initial cause of my wheel hop problem all along, and the stiffer upper arm probably wore it out faster. I replaced the bushing with Prothanes polyurethane one and it completely solved my wheel hop problem yet again.

Now, just for good measure, and since I knew they would wear out anyway, I ordered some BMR lower control arms with poly bushings to replace the old stock lower control arms. They are must sturdier and lighter than the stock pieces. I greased the external faces of the bushings and used my grease gun to get the internal faces lubed up and torqued everything down pretty good.

When I went for a drive, there was definitely more drivetrain noise as expected, especially since I have my rear seats removed, but there was also something that felt very wrong. The best way I can describe it is that the car feels like it wants to flex it's parts but can't... I think that with all of the poly bushings I have on the car now, it might be binding. There's all sorts of stress noises and things I can tell are not supposed to happen.

BUT, the lower BMR's are a perfect fit and I had success with the upper arm before, so I have a theory that that the lower arm bushings were accounting for my pinion angle being off and now that all of the bushings are poly ones, I'll have to adjust my pinion angle to be absolutely perfect otherwise I'll keep having this problem. I HOPE the pinion angle is the problem. I really don't feel like removing the Whiteline upper arm again to adjust it... I wish I would have gotten an on-car adjustable one. Hell, maybe the Whiteline IS adjustable on-car but it's pretty tight up there and most people say that you can't.

Doe's anyone have any thoughts on this? I've heard of people running all poly bushing on their 05 to 09 cars with no problems, so I'm leaning towards the pinion angle. It will be a pita to measure it and then adjust this arm I'm suspecting though.... but the car is pretty much undriveable right now because of all the binding and noises and I know something is going to break very soon unless I do something.
2008 Windveil Blue Manual GT. BAMA 91 Performance Tune. LED Starter Button, Retro Shift Knob, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Ebay CAI LOL, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Rear Spoiler, Raxiom Gen5 Taillights, LED Third Brake light, MMD Hood Louvers, MRT Rear window louvers, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, SR Performance Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line, Dot 5.1 brake fluid ftw, JLT Oil Separator, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace, Triton V3 Switchback turnsignals... etc etc
SangheiliSpecOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
An update for you guys.

I'm playing around with the pinion angle, just trying different positions. I did the whole negative 2 degree thing and followed so many different methods for adjusting the angle but with no success. Some angles are calm in low rpm with a massive loss of power in high rpm and some vibrate in low rpm but smooth out at high rpm. I'm sure theres a sweet spot in there somewhere, I'm going to keep adjusting the arm. The thing is that this arm is longer than normal s197 arms and I don't know if I can get the arm to the place it needs to be (shorter). We will see.

I'm happy to find that I can adjust this arm on-car... I thought like so many other people that you have to take the arm off the car but just get a 7/16 or 22mm wrench and you can adjust the crush tube on the car with all the weight on it and everything

If this doesn't work out, I'm just going to sell it and get a BMR arm....
2008 Windveil Blue Manual GT. BAMA 91 Performance Tune. LED Starter Button, Retro Shift Knob, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Ebay CAI LOL, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Rear Spoiler, Raxiom Gen5 Taillights, LED Third Brake light, MMD Hood Louvers, MRT Rear window louvers, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, SR Performance Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line, Dot 5.1 brake fluid ftw, JLT Oil Separator, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace, Triton V3 Switchback turnsignals... etc etc
SangheiliSpecOp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT