Am I being had??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Am I being had???

I recently encountered an issue with my air conditioning; It only works on the highest speed. I replaced the blower motor resistor, but it burned-out within minutes. The burnt smell concerned me, and since I'm not one to mess with wiring, I immediately took my car to the shop.

The technician told me that the resistor I put in was, "defective". I was shocked, but didn't think much of it at the time, because, well... that type of thing happens sometimes. About halfway home, the new resistor burned out just like the one.

Long story short... my car has been in the same shop, four times... for the same issue. First, they found a short, then it was a faulty blower motor switch, then it was a bad pigtail, then they replaced the blower motor itself (which, thus far, is working ... but is incredibly noisy/whiny). I don't know much about cars, but it seems this should have been a relatively easy fix for a trained professional... I'm not sure if they don't know what they're doing, or if my car really has had all of these issues.

Does any of this sound right to y'all?
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Sounds like there is a short somewhere still.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I've had my stang for almost 3 years and have had to replace the blower motor resistor 3 times. Must be a thing for the 05-09 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pajellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How many miles on your car and have you had any other issues with it? It is really hard to say if the shop is messing up or if your car is just getting to that point where parts will begin to fail occasionally. If your not happy with the shop then I would go somewhere else.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
I recently encountered an issue with my air conditioning; It only works on the highest speed. I replaced the blower motor resistor, but it burned-out within minutes. The burnt smell concerned me, and since I'm not one to mess with wiring, I immediately took my car to the shop.

The technician told me that the resistor I put in was, "defective". I was shocked, but didn't think much of it at the time, because, well... that type of thing happens sometimes. About halfway home, the new resistor burned out just like the one.

Long story short... my car has been in the same shop, four times... for the same issue. First, they found a short, then it was a faulty blower motor switch, then it was a bad pigtail, then they replaced the blower motor itself (which, thus far, is working ... but is incredibly noisy/whiny). I don't know much about cars, but it seems this should have been a relatively easy fix for a trained professional... I'm not sure if they don't know what they're doing, or if my car really has had all of these issues.

Does any of this sound right to y'all?
No, it doesn't sound right but it is not unusual that the so-called professionals try to take shot cuts to save time and/or because they don't have the expertise to properly diagnose electrical problems.
It may have been the motor all along but we;'ll never know for sure now.
As far as the blower being incredibly noisy/whiny, I would politely convey that you cannot live with what sounds like a faulty blower motor. Those things come with some form of warranty and should be returned and replaced. If you can't get any satisfaction out of them, Tell them that you are forced to go elsewhere for another opinion and may have to file a complaint with the BBB. But make sure you're talking with the supervisor or equivalent.
Good luck.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT