5 spd 4.6 dies in first periodicly - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #1

Region: Iowa
5 spd 4.6 dies in first periodicly

Frustrated, If I just let out the clutch easy and I'm on level ground, and never touch the gas, it takes off fine. (sometimes when I'm lucky) But if I'm on the slightest incline, I either have to rev it a little and risk wasting clutch life or bark the tires when I take off. There seems to be no Happy Medium with the gas pedal,,, it is 700 rpm or 3 thousand This makes for an uneasy situation at an intersection with a buddy seeing me kill it embarisingly or getting a dirty look from my wife for giving her whiplash. Any throttle experts out there have any idea's? 4.6 5spd 06 convertible vista blue, Love it, it's a looker that has a temperment. I thought of putting some prozac in the fuel tank but hopefully some one on here can give me a clue as to what to do first to tame this lil hot head. She is all stock!
06GTragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Is this your first manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The rpms do climb quickly with the clutch in. If this is your first manual I'd just suggest the slightest bit of throttle and easing the clutch out. You'll have it down pat in a few months 👍
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #4

06GTragtop

I'm 63 yr old farmer, driven everything you can think of with a manual for over
45 yrs. Like I said, only trouble is, the low end torque is nil to none and I'm used to having a govenor open up under a load or taking off. And you're right, the taking off on a few hills requires more rev's, but I can't seem to feather it, the gas pedal almost seems a like there is a dead spot between idle and 3 thousand RPM. Does this GT have a fly by wire throttle? Is there something to flash to remedy this? I don't know much about computers, but everybody I talk to these days has a Programmer or something for some reason. I guess I will have to pull my wallet out on this one and give a Ford Dealer a pile of money. Thanks anyway...I had a '92 extended cab F-250 5 spd 4x4 that acted the same way. They dinked around with it for 6 wks till I got fed up with them milking my extended warrantee after they changed out the ECU, and every ERG sensor on it. Once I got upset enough, and threatened to write to Fomoco, they changed a MAP sensor and the TPS (throttle position sensor) and finally flashed it so it ran a little richer and that fixed it finally. But it was a painful process since that dealer where I bought it was 75 miles away. O'l Blu is headed for the hospital.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #5

[QUOTE=06GTragtop;2361447]I'm 63 yr old farmer, driven everything you can think of with a manual for over
45 yrs. Like I said, only trouble is, the low end torque is nil to none and I'm used to having a govenor open up under a load or taking off. And you're right, the taking off on a few hills requires more rev's, but I can't seem to feather it, the gas pedal almost seems a like there is a dead spot between idle and 3 thousand RPM. Does this GT have a fly by wire throttle? Is there something to flash to remedy this? I don't know much about computers, but everybody I talk to these days has a Programmer or something for some reason. I guess I will have to pull my wallet out on this one and give a Ford Dealer a pile of money. Thanks anyway...I had a '92 extended cab F-250 5 spd 4x4 that acted the same way. They dinked around with it for 6 wks till I got fed up with them milking my extended warrantee after they changed out the ECU, and every ERG sensor on it. Once I got upset enough, and threatened to write to Fomoco, they changed a MAP sensor and the TPS (throttle position sensor) and finally flashed it so it ran a little richer and that fixed it finally. But it was a painful process since that dealer where I bought it was 75 miles away. O'l Blu is headed for the hospital. I forgot way back then and the trk was almost new, the change the intake gaskets and the throttle body gaskets and plugs. I put on a thousand mile just taking it back and forth plus time lost from work. Geesh...
Old 04-30-2016, 01:37 AM   #6

I know, but have had it for about a yr and a half and doesn't seem to let me feather the throttle at all???
Old 04-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Your absolutely right, it is a dead spot on the gas pedal.

There is no wire to the throttle body on these mustangs, it's electronic.
I test drove a car just like your symptoms. You start to push the gas pedal and nothing, then it takes off because the gas pedal suddenly sees it's 1/2 inch down.
I never bought that mustang, but I did some research on what causes the problem.

It's the gas pedal assembly, you can buy a new one or do the mod.
I'm not sure if I can post links to other forums on here, but google: 2005 mustang gas pedal mod
First link, no credit to me, I didn't write it.

I'm sure this is your problem. Good luck!
maverick214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Never heard of that but it makes sense as my 08 doesn't act that way. It's fine.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Man my throttle is so darn touchy I envy the dead space lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
With my tune and 4.10s (auto) mine is real touchy in reverse, I usually don't use the gas. Makes you look like a tool screeching the tires backing up in a parking lot for no reason, maybe I'm getting old.

The dead spot 06GTragtop is talking about is annoying, its not a gradual increase, your pushing down and nothing, then the rpms suddenly jump. I drove an auto with that problem, I started pressing down the gas and thought it stalled, I could imagine how annoying it would be in a manual.
maverick214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT