Keep adding? Or get a new one? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Keep adding? Or get a new one?

Hey guys,

Thought I'd get your opinion on an issue that's been in my head for sometime now. I own an 05 GT and slowly but surely been making modifications to it. The past few months I've been thinking upgrading more components on the engine: cam shafts, valve covers and supercharger. But my car is gaining up there in miles; 97,000 miles to be exact. with that being said...horsepower starts to get lost. So my question is...

Should I continue with the mods?

Or contemplate on getting a new engine?

Both of course will require much mullah; one a bit more than the other. But at least with the new engine, everything will be up to date and brand new. Still debating. Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you
NADENE05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Hey bud,

Just looking at stock specs here:

Model: 2005 Ford Mustang
Curb weight: 3,614 lbs
Horsepower: 300 hp
Engine: 4.6 L V8
MPG: Up to 18 city / 23 highway
Torque: 320 lb-ft

If you have the money, I would upgrade to the newer 5.0. Not sure if you meant - trading in your car or dropping in a new engine.

If you went and got a 2015/2016 5.0, you of course would have new everything (transmission, axles, wheels, brakes, etc).

Of course you can keep adding mods to your current car. But tell us, what is your goal? Are you trying to be faster then a specific car? Trying to get your car to a certain 1/4 time? What are your desires?

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Keep adding? Or get a new one?

Doubt there's anything wrong with that engine. Only thing is your bottom end. Anything over 450rwhp is iffy on a 3V on stock bottom end. Some people are running up to 500rwhp on stock bottom end but over 450 is demanding a lot from the bottom end. Which the engine option is a good idea depending on your power goals. Either way you really need a forged bottom end. Unless you get an M90 and some mild cams. You'll be fine then. But that supercharger is meh at best. I know it's on my car. Although I'm going with a forged 3V swap in my Roush with a TVS blower.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you guys for your input. Every bit helps.
My goal is to make the car better than it originally was; both speed and performance wise. Not for track or street, though I wouldn't mind showing it off on the street if the moment presented itself. The 5.0 was an engine I was looking into but with more research, I know that more items would have to be added to support the power that engine puts out.

Continuing to upgrade the current engine would def help reduce loss of horse power, if it hasn't loss any so far due to mileage and years. The research I've done on the this supports that this engine block would def be able to handle any power adders to it. Also would be less $$$ to put out with this option.
Both have their good points. But when it boils down to it, it's what I'm willing to fork out.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

If you really like your car still, I would go over it completely as far as maintenance is concerned. Fluids, belts, bushings, gaskets, everything. Then once all that is done, definitely mod it.

The good part about the S197s are - they have been around for awhile so parts are more abundant and they are cheaper. The only bad thing about the 05-10 is - power doesn't come as fast as the 11-14. As in, it takes quite a bit to get them up there to race bolt-on 5.0s and such.

But if racing a 5.0 at the end of the day is not your goal, I wouldn't worry about it. Just trick it out with the usual. Full exhaust, gears, wheels/tires, big brakes, tune, etc. Maybe throw a "cold air intake" in there for some bling and under-hood appeal.

The 4.6 still has a nice burble when paired with a good exhaust.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ Cams are good for 3Vs, wake them up. But you're nearing the limit of the internals with cams and a good blower.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I also wanted to point out that once you get 50 posts on here, hit up AMAlexLazarus on here so you can get a discount code to AmericanMuscle's website. So you can get discounts on your parts orders. May not seem like much at first, but the more you buy, the more it will add up quick.

I have saved hundreds when I modded my 2014 V6. I bought....just about everything for it except a supercharger. lol. Funny how even with all that, this 5.0 I have now has gobs more power Stock.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

Region: Georgia
I would suggest rebuilding your current engine with a forged bottom end. That way you have a strong foundation for the supercharger you plan on adding in the future.
Silver Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
^ Cams are good for 3Vs, wake them up. But you're nearing the limit of the internals with cams and a good blower.
Well, on top of what I've already done; BBK air intake, 62mm throttle body, short tube headers, and Exedy Stage 4 Clutch w/ matching flywheel, I'm looking into getting Comp Cams Stage II XFI NSR, Ford Racing blue valve covers, and a ROUSH 2.3L TVS Supercharger. of course the supercharger will be a bit down the road...but been saving for it
Old 05-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADENE05 View Post
Well, on top of what I've already done; BBK air intake, 62mm throttle body, short tube headers, and Exedy Stage 4 Clutch w/ matching flywheel, I'm looking into getting Comp Cams Stage II XFI NSR, Ford Racing blue valve covers, and a ROUSH 2.3L TVS Supercharger. of course the supercharger will be a bit down the road...but been saving for it
What about suspension, driveshaft, and have you checked the weight of your tires and wheels? Shaving weight from those, can add considerable "quickness" to the car by adding better or other, aftermarket parts.

Heck when I added an aftermarket suspension to my 2014, it cut down almost .3-.4 seconds off my 1/4 mile. More then headers or other small things will. It is up there with Tune and gears (in some cases or applications).

The aftermarket driveshaft would be to allow your car to handle all that power if you throw on a SC and other mods later and want to rip past 100 a lot.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
What about suspension, driveshaft, and have you checked the weight of your tires and wheels? Shaving weight from those, can add considerable "quickness" to the car by adding better or other, aftermarket parts.

Heck when I added an aftermarket suspension to my 2014, it cut down almost .3-.4 seconds off my 1/4 mile. More then headers or other small things will. It is up there with Tune and gears (in some cases or applications).

The aftermarket driveshaft would be to allow your car to handle all that power if you throw on a SC and other mods later and want to rip past 100 a lot.
Oh yea I forgot I upgraded the suspension last year to Eibach Sport-System-Plus as well. Def felt a difference in turning; more planted to the road. Only down fall is that I feel the every bump on the road; damn jersey roads . As for drive shaft, I'm still deciding on aluminum or carbon fiber.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADENE05 View Post
Oh yea I forgot I upgraded the suspension last year to Eibach Sport-System-Plus as well. Def felt a difference in turning; more planted to the road. Only down fall is that I feel the every bump on the road; damn jersey roads . As for drive shaft, I'm still deciding on aluminum or carbon fiber.
I would say Aluminum would hold you over pretty well unless you want to be putting down a TON of power. But Idk if these 4.6 engines can get that high without having too much work done on the internals and such.

It really depends on how high you want to shoot for. And your wallet. lol

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I would say Aluminum would hold you over pretty well unless you want to be putting down a TON of power. But Idk if these 4.6 engines can get that high without having too much work done on the internals and such.

It really depends on how high you want to shoot for. And your wallet. lol
Yea I'd def going with the aluminum shaft. It's good for what I need for my ride.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I 100% agree with "ZombieSlayer", I'm in a similar boat as you, I have a 07 with a few Mods, and have cleared the idea of certain other Mods. When the situation comes up of getting a New 5.0 or continuing mods, if both devours cost roughly similar then by all means get the Newer 5.0. I'm proud of my Toy and would never trade it in for anything, that would not stop me from getting a Newer model. Remember Modding a 5.0 is a different animal than the modding of a 4.6.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I 100% agree with "ZombieSlayer", I'm in a similar boat as you, I have a 07 with a few Mods, and have cleared the idea of certain other Mods. When the situation comes up of getting a New 5.0 or continuing mods, if both devours cost roughly similar then by all means get the Newer 5.0. I'm proud of my Toy and would never trade it in for anything, that would not stop me from getting a Newer model. Remember Modding a 5.0 is a different animal than the modding of a 4.6.
Yea it seems to be a monster when getting new bolt-ons. Just a tune gets a good chunk of power.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Good advice from all, I'm running an 05 with a 2.4 l KB at 10 pounds of boost, tuned and de-tuned to 397 hp at the wheels due to the stock internals, (puts the motor at about 450 at the flywheel). On the driveshaft make sure you go with a 3 1/2 inch diameter one, I put in a 4 inch and had all kinds of clearance problems with the center OEM universal mounting hardware, (had to cut it out and beat up the floor to get it to stop hitting the floor with more than me in the car). It is lowered an inch which should not have been a problem - but we all know how that goes! I also blew the automatic and replaced it with a Performance Automatic modified one that is supposed to take 450 pound feet of torque - time will tell. 12.4 best in the 1/4 at 109, with a 1.89 60 foot time on Nitto 305 x 18 drag radials. Will still blow them away on a hard launch but hooks well after that. Hope this helps, it's a fun ride on and off the street. But remember no matter how fast you are somebody will be faster. The 5.0 is a great engine etc., etc., and yes the 4.6 is limited...
Gil05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I appreciate all the assistance guys. Def helped me a lot here. Seeing as I already have parts listed or bought already, might as well keep it going. It'll be a fast and brutal beast; not like the new models...but good enough for me none the less

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT