Different Exhaust Options - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Question Different Exhaust Options

I have a 2006 GT. I've been reading different forums and I am looking to upgrade my exhaust. I'm 59, so an old guy, and I remember when everyone was driving 68 Camaros, Mustangs, 442s, and Chevelles. All of them put headers on and of course we had no cats. So there was lots of noise. Some of the forums that I read give an indication that headers, even long tubes don't make much of a difference in hp or sound, it's more what you put behind them. I'm wondering, if I did it in stages, what would be the best process. Should I even go with long tube headers or stay with stock exhaust out to the Xpipes. I don't want it to be so noisy at highway speeds that I can't think or talk, but I do like a good sounding rumble. If I go Xpipes and back, would it increase hp without headers?
Let me know what I think. I know there's about half a dozen questions in this but any help would be appreciated.
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Different Exhaust Options

I think an H pipe is more of what you're looking for.
H have more of a classic muscle tone
X have a raspy nascar sound
Regarding headers and the rest of the exhaust. You'll see more gains from exhaust than any other mods for these new modular engines. Besides force induction and nitrous.
I have Roush Extreme axelbacks along with Ford Racing FR500S axelbacks on stock set ups. Both sound really good in my opinion.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So, looking at what you've written, am I to assume that you don't have headers on your Mustang. If not, did you get much of a horsepower gain and what would you estimate you've got in gains so far and what might you get with the headers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #4

Region: Connecticut
My first post here so take it with a grain of salt. I am new to Mustangs but not cars.

Are you looking for horsepower or sound? Maybe both?

If you just want sound I'd go with just axle backs. (I am putting some FR500s's on my otherwise stock 08 tomorrow) Easy to install and no tuning needed. Alone, I don't think they add any HP worth mentioning.

If you want horsepower I'd start at the front and work your way back. An easy way to get HP that I see (and I may be wrong here) is with an intake and tune ~+30 HP for about $600. I am not sure what kind of sound you get (if any) from just an intake on these Mustangs.

If you want more sound then add axle backs to the above. That may get you what you want for another $300-600.

If it is not enough you can add headers and mid piping. You'll already have the tuner for needed changes. Now you've got all kinds of variables and can get pretty darn loud.

This is an apples to oranges example but... my other car is a Nissan Armada (5.6 V8). In that I put a cold air intake, long tube headers and high flow cats (and tune). Behind the cats it is stock. It sounds angry at start up and when you put your foot in it but otherwise sounds stock when driving around under ~3k. No drone. I know the back half of the system is more restrictive than the front but larger piping and an aftermarket exhaust would be louder than I want.
staplebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. That was a great help.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
axle-back from Sweet Thunder is what I bought. nice deep tone. growl on acceleration, but sedate cruising. www.sweetthundermi.com
Dave
fialdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
I never thought my catless-LT-violators sounded that loud at all when cruising. Definitely loud when WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My car is loud as F! Currently running SLT Long Tubes into an X pipe with Corsa High Intensity exhaust...my neighbor greets me every morning with a cup of coffee and loves hearing me leave the neighborhood...at cruising speed I don't hear anything but a low rumble, not too distracting...if I get pissed at someone and want to make a point, I downshift and blow past them...the sound is obnoxious and I LOVE it hahaha...F people who drive slow in the passing lane!

Sent from my XT1585 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
RaiderRalph is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust