05 3 Valve Overheating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
05 3 Valve Overheating

It's been a very frustrating series of overheating events! I've had the car for 2 years and about four months ago, (after ~ 4000 miles - the car is not a daily driver) it overheated. Lots of steam coming out from under the hood, the temperature gauge just starting to go up. I shut it off and called AAA for a tow to Damero Ford in Beaverton Or. They checked out the cooling system, changed the coolent, pressure checking etc., and told me to go away due to the Kenne Bell blower install - they couldn't duplicate the problem. They did recommend PSI, (Portland Speed Industries).
PSI found the radiator overflow tank pressure cap bad, ran it for hours but couldn't duplicate the problem. Off I went.
Two months latter it happened again, this time they thought it was the thermostat.
Two months went by and again it overheated! This time I pulled to the side of the road and leaving it running checked to see if the fans were running before I shut it off. The fans were not running. AAA got it back to PSI and they again tried to duplicate the problem. After much troubleshooting they found a bad fan control relay.
All of the people who worked on the car went through the approved cooling system "burping" procedure after filling the cooling system. I've been driving the car now for the last couple of weeks and must admit I don't trust it any more. So far without any more problems.
The only place coolant is coming out is at the header tank pressure cap - all three times.
I just ran a 12.04 in the 1/4, driving it 30 miles each way to the track, so it might be fixed?
Question, what is the "burping" procedure? Can I do this at home? (I have some tools and a place to work.)
Thanks for any help...
Gil05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil05GT View Post
It's been a very frustrating series of overheating events! I've had the car for 2 years and about four months ago, (after ~ 4000 miles - the car is not a daily driver) it overheated. Lots of steam coming out from under the hood, the temperature gauge just starting to go up. I shut it off and called AAA for a tow to Damero Ford in Beaverton Or. They checked out the cooling system, changed the coolent, pressure checking etc., and told me to go away due to the Kenne Bell blower install - they couldn't duplicate the problem. They did recommend PSI, (Portland Speed Industries).
PSI found the radiator overflow tank pressure cap bad, ran it for hours but couldn't duplicate the problem. Off I went.
Two months latter it happened again, this time they thought it was the thermostat.
Two months went by and again it overheated! This time I pulled to the side of the road and leaving it running checked to see if the fans were running before I shut it off. The fans were not running. AAA got it back to PSI and they again tried to duplicate the problem. After much troubleshooting they found a bad fan control relay.
All of the people who worked on the car went through the approved cooling system "burping" procedure after filling the cooling system. I've been driving the car now for the last couple of weeks and must admit I don't trust it any more. So far without any more problems.
The only place coolant is coming out is at the header tank pressure cap - all three times.
I just ran a 12.04 in the 1/4, driving it 30 miles each way to the track, so it might be fixed?
Question, what is the "burping" procedure? Can I do this at home? (I have some tools and a place to work.)
Thanks for any help...
Opps I ran a 12.40 not a 12.04 - I wish!
Gil05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT