Revisit old topic Valve rattle/ Engine ping ( HEEELLPPP) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Revisit old topic Valve rattle/ Engine ping ( HEEELLPPP)

I am revisiting an old topic and wanted some fresh info. It’s a bit long but I want to make sure to pre answer any questions and give the correct info right off to avoid well some rather off the wall advice about a car I used to own. HAHA Here is a short rundown and what I’ve learned.
Car: 06 GT
Mods: Air raid race CAI Bama XCT tuner Pypes Violator Mufflers

Problem: Nasty ping / rattle ( sounds like marbles in a mason jar or sounds like a chain link fence being shook)

Occurrences: This is tricky on eco tune with 87 octane fuel it does it at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and scares the hell out of me.

Eco tune 93 octane much better but does it at 1/2 to 3/4 under load (accelerating a little more than needed in town) on the highway if I open her up like passing a semi solid 1/2 to 3/4 throttle loaded. It’s a bit more pronounced.
From a dead stop I can make a solid run as long as I don’t go past 3/4. It will ping very slightly when shifting

The worst moment-----full throttle lay out rolling start 5 mph I have to let off before it shifts only due to it sounding like it’s about to explode.

I have data logged it twice and nothing strange shows up.

I read up on gas/ ethanol/ non ethanol I’ve tried them all its still there.

I did read that the modulars have some issues and that this is one but I have not found any one that has it this bad nor that there has been a fix.

I also read that the CAI could have turbulence at the MAF causing a bad fuel mix.
Dropping the T stat 10 Deg will help lower temp and help with detonation.

I would love to get it on a dyno and have a professional diagnos it. doesnt seem to be one around here ( South GA) that i can afford. $500 to get it on.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I know you said that you datalogged it it twice, but have you sent those datalogs to Bama tier 2 support, and described your problem to them? They may be able to write a better tune for you - I would try that if you haven't already.
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok that's a good suggestion. Thanks I know last year when I got the second tune from them I told them I had a datalog. Didn't seem to want it though.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
detonation?
*Exhaust> UPR OR, Borla Touring
*2.49 Pulley
*3:73 FR
M90CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Process of elimination. Remove the tune? Remove the CAI?
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Don't have stock one and the car wont run on stock tune with this cai. Great idea though.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

In that case, IMHO, getting a professional diagnosis is a whole lot cheaper that having to replace an engine.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It really does sound like a tune problem to me and if he already has Bama Tunes for Life then it's something that he can try essentially for free (excluding the time commitment).
Old 09-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M90CaliSpecial View Post
detonation?

Yes detonation. At least that what it reminds me of. In my other cars and trucks In The past it was simply messing with the timing and carb mixes. This is a whole new thing. I have had a detune done less timing etc. did not really change anything.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe your problem is pre-ignition, hot spark plugs maybe, try colder plugs. Also try running race fuel to see if that improves it or Torco additive.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Like sleeper said, try racing fuel. If the sound doesn't go away or at least change then its not detonation.

irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

A little update from yet more research. so this actually makes sense for the most part on the 3/4 to WOT. My stock Maf is pegging and cant read the extra airflow. the reason i think this might be a major player in my issue is that. my buddy stood next to the car the other day and i laid her out out 3/4 throttle from a stop. He said each time it got into the higher RPM range is sounded different almost like it was running lean. SOOO i looked into the Race CAI I have on it and their is a restriction adapter that comes with regular CAI for the stock MAF. Option A i get the restriction tube cheaper/ option B i save up for the Granatelli performance MAF sensor. And why doesnt American Muscle put this in the product description Id a bout the other and save up for the new maf. I like B but dang this car is costing me a fortune in bits and pieces had to replace the fuel pump recently that was 300 and i did it myself.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

What's the cost difference? I would get the restriction adapter if it's significantly cheaper and you are not certain that it is actually the problem. If that fixes it, maybe save up for the other CAI and sell your old one on ebay or craigslist or on this site after you install the new one. First thing is to stop your engine from pinging though.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
What's the cost difference? I would get the restriction adapter if it's significantly cheaper and you are not certain that it is actually the problem. If that fixes it, maybe save up for the other CAI and sell your old one on ebay or craigslist or on this site after you install the new one. First thing is to stop your engine from pinging though.

I was thinking that last night as well. I'm trying to find the peice seperate. From the kit once I find it I'll pass it on.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Update on this. After much more research. I found a TSB for the modular motor in a truck that states to change to 5 w30 synthetic. I asked the local service mgr about it. He did some research as well. And agreed that if it's good for the truck motor it should be the same for the mustang. So switched to 5 30 synth. And behold no ping. Well I do get a very very minor ping if I'm running at highway speed and hammer it. But it's only for a split second. Dead stop full throttle no ping.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT