What would you do? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What would you do?

So recently, after what I am assuming was a bad cam install, something went terribly wrong with my cam and valve train. I pulled it off and a rocker arm had fallen off, the valve retainers had let go of the valve and it dropped into the cylinder. I pulled the spark plug to verify this and sure enough it was beat up. Damages include cam, rocker followers, lash adjusters, and I am assuming the cylinder head, piston, and block is all torn up form the dropped valve. Its a 2005 mustang GT with 90,000 miles and selling it is not an option. Im in college right now so my time and resources (money) is pretty limited so I wanted to weigh out a few options and want Yalls opinion.

1. have the cylinder re-sleeved
2. buy a 2005-2009 motor from a junkyard and do a heart transplant
3. buy a wrecked 2005-2009 mustang and do a swap

I have limited mechanical knowledge. I have never done a swap, but I do have access to the tools nessary to do it.

Some things I want you guys to consider is cost, difficulty, and time. Also If you think this could be an opportunity to upgrade the motor somehow let me know. Just want your thoughts.
2005GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I take it this cam was a self installed one, and no professional mechanic can be credited?
If I DID pay to have this installed somewhere, I would be taking this up with them.
Otherwise, get some estimates for what you describe, call around to your local wrecked vehicle yards to price a complete engine and install and then go from there.
It still may be more economical to sell your car to someone who thinks they can fix it cheaper than you, and look for another car for yourself.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I take it this cam was a self installed one, and no professional mechanic can be credited?
If I DID pay to have this installed somewhere, I would be taking this up with them.
Otherwise, get some estimates for what you describe, call around to your local wrecked vehicle yards to price a complete engine and install and then go from there.
It still may be more economical to sell your car to someone who thinks they can fix it cheaper than you, and look for another car for yourself.
No, this was a self install. It went super smoothly for 10k no issues at all. How difficult would a engine swap be? and are there any differences in the 2005-2009 wiring harnesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005GT View Post
No, this was a self install. It went super smoothly for 10k no issues at all. How difficult would a engine swap be? and are there any differences in the 2005-2009 wiring harnesses?
OK......NOT trying to be cruel here, but the cam install was not really successful, so tackling a complete engine replacement on your own is a LOT bigger project:
Engine
Transmission
Cooling
Exhaust
All wiring
Hoisting a half ton of weight in and out.
New engine mounts
All fluids
Best to take the front of the car off.....airbag activators anyone?

Other considerations are -- if you buy an engine from a wrecked car, are they going to guarantee that it will run once you do all of the above?
I do think it will turn out to be a LOT less expensive to have a professional rehab your current engine (and check the torque on the retainers for the rest of your valve train as well)....
Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
OK......NOT trying to be cruel here, but the cam install was not really successful, so tackling a complete engine replacement on your own is a LOT bigger project:
Engine
Transmission
Cooling
Exhaust
All wiring
Hoisting a half ton of weight in and out.
New engine mounts
All fluids
Best to take the front of the car off.....airbag activators anyone?

Other considerations are -- if you buy an engine from a wrecked car, are they going to guarantee that it will run once you do all of the above?
I do think it will turn out to be a LOT less expensive to have a professional rehab your current engine (and check the torque on the retainers for the rest of your valve train as well)....
No thats not cruel at all. Im just trying to gauge how realistic that option is. I have a buddy who has a lift and all the tools that we would need. Im just trying to see if it would be a difficult swap. I have found a doner car with 77,000 miles on it and it only has rear end damages, and it currently runs. they are asking for 2,500$ for the whole car.

Is it possible to swap the motor with the transmission still married? and would the wiring be an issue between years (2005-2009)? also would i need new motor mounts? I was hoping to hear its a pretty simple plug and play.

I know this is a pretty silly question but what would be you ball park guess for cost of my current motor being repaired? Ive been calling around and everyone is saying to bring it in to before they run a number by me. IM just trying to figure out if getting a cylinder re-sleeved is a 2k procedure or and 10k procedure.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

The piston in that damaged cylinder is toast and to sleeve the cylinder, they are going to have to replace it and the connecting rod. They may do this with the engine in place or it might be easier for them to take it out to do it. Depends a lot on if they can do this from the top or have to do it from the bottom.............don't take this to the bank -- but I am "guessing" between $2,500 and $3,000 for parts and labor.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
I personally would pick up the one for 2500 and swap the motor! Fun project, and then you have a bunch of spare parts on hand to boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005GT View Post

I'm starting my swap next week for my 2005 V6 Mustang (blown head gasket, warped head, cracked block, ruptured t-stat housing, faulty water pump and damaged radiator.)

I'm a college kid too. Let me tell you, trying to budget a rebuild is stressful, especially when you don't have a ride to work.
My advice: buy everything... NOW. You'll get a better deal.

As far as parts go, you'll need pretty much the entire car.
Engine
transmission
radiator hoses with stat housing
ac compressor with lines (upper and lower)
power steering pump with lines
gauge cluster
engine/transmission harness
driveshaft from either a 2005-2010 V6 Automatic or 2005 -2010 V8 Manual
8.8 rear end
front springs and shocks
motor mounts
gas pedal
PCM
ECU
Alternator
Front brakes (rotor and caliper)

8 -10 hours a day in about a weekends time for install and tune.

If you can't locate majority of your electrical parts, you'll need a PATS disabled tune. If you don't, your car will go into a "limp" mode.

My suggestion to you: gather your essentials and price point all of it. If it's more than you can afford, buy another car.

After weeks of research and calling shops like Dallas Mustang and Evolution Performance and many Ford dealerships, this is what I've found: V8 to V8 will marry if it's the matching year set.
Meaning:
2005 can marry to a 2006 without issues
2005 to 2007, will need to modify and get a PATS tune, because they adopted a rectangular inlets/outlets for most electrical fittings
2005 to 2008 - 2009 will need to modify and get a PATS tune.
2005 to 2010 will need to modify and get a PATS tune.
2005 to 2011 - 2016; you'll need the entire car with every part.

V6 to V8 will never marry without heavy modification.

My total cost:
$3000 - engine, transmission, PCM, ECU, Alternator, AC and balancer
$250 - harnesses and hoses
$235 - driveshaft, radiator, CAI
$400 - brembo brakes set
$75 - gas pedal, gauge cluster, stock shifter
$150 - forklift rental
$?? - Looking for a new exhaust system.
$200 - AC Lines
$150 - 2013 Shelby steering wheel (F.S.A.G)

= ~$4,460.00 in parts. If I wanted someone to install for me, it's another $7000-$14,000.

Of course, you're just doing a heart transplant, so your cost will be very minimal. The mechanical work will be easy, but the electrical work will be a challenge. Do some research on electrical harnesses for 2005 - 2009. I'd shoot for a 2005 - 2006 GT.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!
Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:37 AM   #9

Region: New York
Your cheapest route is going to be to swap your broken motor for a good salvage motor of the same year. Nobody will give you anything for your car with a bad motor, and to swap motor for motor should be fairly easy job. That will get you driving down the road and you can decide what to do from there. (while you are making money) If you have a couple of buddies, case of beer, and a couple of pizza's, you should be able to get the job done in a weekend!
FSTPUNKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Guys!
That information is extremely helpful! I think I will be doing a engine swap probably around thanks giving break and Will keep yall posted. Would any of you guys recommend a good avenue for grabbing a low milage salvaged motor? Im located in Houston, but Would be willing to travel for or ship a motor with less than 50k on it.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
I'm starting my swap next week for my 2005 V6 Mustang (blown head gasket, warped head, cracked block, ruptured t-stat housing, faulty water pump and damaged radiator.)

I'm a college kid too. Let me tell you, trying to budget a rebuild is stressful, especially when you don't have a ride to work.
My advice: buy everything... NOW. You'll get a better deal.

As far as parts go, you'll need pretty much the entire car.
Engine
transmission
radiator hoses with stat housing
ac compressor with lines (upper and lower)
power steering pump with lines
gauge cluster
engine/transmission harness
driveshaft from either a 2005-2010 V6 Automatic or 2005 -2010 V8 Manual
8.8 rear end
front springs and shocks
motor mounts
gas pedal
PCM
ECU
Alternator
Front brakes (rotor and caliper)

8 -10 hours a day in about a weekends time for install and tune.

If you can't locate majority of your electrical parts, you'll need a PATS disabled tune. If you don't, your car will go into a "limp" mode.

My suggestion to you: gather your essentials and price point all of it. If it's more than you can afford, buy another car.

After weeks of research and calling shops like Dallas Mustang and Evolution Performance and many Ford dealerships, this is what I've found: V8 to V8 will marry if it's the matching year set.
Meaning:
2005 can marry to a 2006 without issues
2005 to 2007, will need to modify and get a PATS tune, because they adopted a rectangular inlets/outlets for most electrical fittings
2005 to 2008 - 2009 will need to modify and get a PATS tune.
2005 to 2010 will need to modify and get a PATS tune.
2005 to 2011 - 2016; you'll need the entire car with every part.

V6 to V8 will never marry without heavy modification.

My total cost:
$3000 - engine, transmission, PCM, ECU, Alternator, AC and balancer
$250 - harnesses and hoses
$235 - driveshaft, radiator, CAI
$400 - brembo brakes set
$75 - gas pedal, gauge cluster, stock shifter
$150 - forklift rental
$?? - Looking for a new exhaust system.
$200 - AC Lines
$150 - 2013 Shelby steering wheel (F.S.A.G)

= ~$4,460.00 in parts. If I wanted someone to install for me, it's another $7000-$14,000.

Of course, you're just doing a heart transplant, so your cost will be very minimal. The mechanical work will be easy, but the electrical work will be a challenge. Do some research on electrical harnesses for 2005 - 2009. I'd shoot for a 2005 - 2006 GT.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!
When you say "2005 to 2007, will need to modify and get a PATS tune, because they adopted a rectangular inlets/outlets for most electrical fittings" what exactly does this mean for me? Im looking at a 2007 doner and want to know what I am getting myself into. Both GT, both Stick 5 speed, But I cant seem to find any information on the actual differences in the wringing harnesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT