Mustang Evolution Forum banner

CAT x/h pipe recommendations

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Legendsambition 
#1 ·
My mechanic confirmed the engine light code I've had since I bought my 2006 GT is indeed a bad cat (bank 2). So, I figure I have one of 3 choices:
1) replace with stock/OEM-style replacement
2) replace w/ aftermarket "performance"
3) just run it as-is until after the holidays when funds are more abundant, then revisit 1 and 2 above

Does anyone have any suggestions for option 2*, and will option 3 hurt anything? I'm a little bummed, but hey - it's a 10+ year old car. Thoughts/suggestions? Other than a louder/meaner sound, do the aftermarket systems (with the cats) typically provide much additional performance beyond option 1?
*I began looking around and there are so many choices...not sure where to begin.
Thanks everyone.
Justin (who has only owned this car a couple months and still really enjoys it - bone stock as it is)

#2 ·
Before you get too many responses about this, are you open to "off-road" (i.e. no cats) h-pipes or x-pipes? Is Nebraska a state where you can get away with that? I am asking because if $$ is an issue, this might be your cheapest option. If you don't have a tuner, you would need to get one though, since I understand that your CEL would illuminate with no cats if you don't retune.

Another cheap option would be to monitor ebay/craigslist or even the classifieds on this site for the OEM catted h-pipe. There are so many people with aftermarket exhausts on these cars that the h-pipe is readily available for cheap. I have one sitting in my basement but since I'm in Maryland, shipping is likely to kill most if not all of the cost savings from me selling it to you for dirt cheap. There has to be someone near you with one that is unused and unwanted.

#5 ·
O/R would be really nice, especially for the sound and performance. Just expect rattling and more attention if you go that route. I went high flow cats for a while but nothing beats a straight through system. Plus turning off the rear o2 sensors could get rid of that annoying check engine light. Then seeing if you could borrow a buddies stock pipe when you go for emissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.