Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Turning on headlights kills engine

5K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  51008 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I've been having a weird problem, I have an 06 mustang GT. The first sign of this happening was when I got off the freeway after driving for about an hour, put the clutch in at a light and the engine died. It would not immediately start, I turned on the hazards got out and opened the hood, did not see anything out of place. I then got back in the car and tried to start it and it fired right up. Drove another few miles to work just fine. Drove home that afternoon with no issues.

That night i went to leave my house, started the car and turned on the headlights as it was dark. The car immediately died. I had someone pick me up and I got a new battery. Installed the new battery, turned the car on, let it run for a few minutes and had no issues for a few days.

A few days later (today) I started the car, and went to turn on the headlights and it died again. I turned off all electronics in the car and let it run for a few minutes and drove to lunch with the headlights off. (about a mile away). Got back in my car minutes later and it starts and the headlights come on no problem.

Any advice as to what would cause this is appreciated. I'm going to replace the alternator this afternoon (as it's 10 years old) and check as many grounds as I can find.

Relevant info: I recently rear ended someone and had to have repairs done. One of the headlights was replaced. I got the car back from this about a month ago and this issues first popped up a few days ago.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.