Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Best 450HP Set-Up?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sonicpony03 
#1 ·
Well, here it goes. My first post. And, what a n00b post it is going to be!

My question to you guys is "How would you, personally, go about making 450 rwhp?"

This is my daily driver, so i'm looking for something relatively practical. I drive a grand total of 5.8 miles round trip 5 days a week, so gas mileage isn't really an issue. I would just enjoy the hell out of a little(or a LOT) more power.

Big Tuna is an Automatic, bone stock 4.6 3v with 32,000 miles, in mint condition. I would never consider an manual swap, as I am a driver who loves his auto trans. I know, I know, "It's not a real Mustang", eat me, driving relaxes me. 1st to neutral, fifty thousand times in heavy traffic isn't "relaxing" to me. Tuna will probably be my DD for the next 4-5 years, unless I hit it big, in which case it's Coyote all the way.

After getting pulled on HARD(in Mexico, of course) by a 1999 factory Supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix last week with two fat dudes in it, I can't let that happen again. It's time to get the checkbook ready. I'm would like to try and keep this build under $5,000, but I'm flexible on that.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to meeting/talking to you guys!

See less See more
#4 ·
Lol, I just ordered the JLT CAI and Tuner from AM, seemed like a good purchase, knowing full well I'll be using the hell out of that tuner.

I've got my eye on the 4.10's as the next mod. But i'm a little unsure about the nitrous. I've never used it, and I know if i installed it, I'd probably be too scared to push the button. You saw what happened to Brian in Fast and Furious, I don't want to run enough NoS to "blow the welds on the intake manifold" LOL, /s obviously. I just don't know enough about it. Could you point me in the right direction on finding out more about nitrous and my car?

#6 · (Edited)
You're going to need a power adder to achieve 450whp. Either nitrous or boost. Just depends what you want. Now that being said I would try one thing first. With the budget you have do gears, cams, converter, full exhaust, and a good tune. It will be a night and day difference compared to stock. Then save up for suspension mods.

Pick your poison.

#9 ·
Im in the same boat right now, the only thing that will get me to that 400+ rwhp is aspiration,but thats after cai,underdrive,dyno tuned, Ford racing cams and matching throttle body, but from my experience you are going to need to bump that budget a little higher

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 · (Edited)
You got pulled hard by a stock 99 GTP? Driver mod first?? Lol

Just kidding. As said the usual stuff, gears, cai, cams, tune will definitely wake the car up but FI is your best bet.

You can probably pick up a complete centrifugal kit for a tad over $5k and install yourself. Then get it tuned for ~$300-500. Easily 400whp. Will need tires and better LCA
s at a minimum. SR55S will hold up based on your driving.

#13 ·
Department of Boost kit hands down. You'll have a supercharged 425-450whp car for well under $5000. If you piece the kit together yourself, you could even get everything done for around $3500.

Definitely worth looking in to: Department of Boost
+1 If he wants a roots blower that is the way to go. Depending on kit the only other thing you need is a tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.