Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Does anyone have 315/30/18 on there s197

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jande063 
#1 ·
I have a 07 with 285/40/18 wondering if I can put 315/30/18 on it

#7 ·
Car gonna see a lot of road course/track time? That tire is designed for that type of use. If you want a tire to hook on the street and at the strip you'll want a drag radial.

#9 · (Edited)
In terms of wheel sizing, my experience has shown that a 275/35-18 is about a perfect fit on a 10.5 wheel. For a 315, I would be looking at a minimum of an 11, but a 12 would be a much better fit. A 315 on a 10.5 is going to lose about half an inch on each sholder because the tire is so much wider than the wheel.

For competitions which require a street tire, I use the 315/30-18 BFG Rival S. Same compound as the R1S R Compound qualifying tire, and has been shown to have excellent grip. They are a touch vague on turn in, and REQUIRE well over three degrees of negative camber (most of us have found that 4 is in the neighborhood of where we need to be) to keep the wear even when used for competition. I do not recommend using this height of tire with the H&R race springs, because I tore chunks out of my undertray when I had to do a panic trail brake over the 4" portion of the FIA curbing at VIR because a guy with a GT350 had done something stupid immediately in front of me.

For events which just require a DOT tire, I use the same size in either a Hoosier A7 or R7. These don't last quite as long as the Nitto, but are hilariously faster.

For events which need a long lived tire, such as being an HPDE instructor, I use the Pirelli DH slick in 305/660-18. These are designed for a 3400 pound car that also produces a lot of downforce when over 100 mph, so I don't really have to worry too much about overheating them (unless I am really abusing the car to try to make a point to a student rider about temperature management), and wearing them too quickly. These are the one and only line of PirellI products that I consider acceptable to have on my wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.