Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Swapping up from a 4.6 to a Coyote

12K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  olerodder 
#1 ·
Quick question. I have an 06 GT that I really like. I don't care for the looks of the newer Mustangs. What I do like is the additional oomph of the Coyote 5.0. How hard is it to swap out and what would have to be changed? I'd be looking at a crate engine and just want an idea as I've never asked this question and am not particularly mechanically inclined. Would my stock 5 speed take the power? I'd obviously change engine mounts and clutch but I'm wondering about the suspension, cooling, etc.

#3 ·
Swapping

I imagine a Coyote crate engine is over $10K plus, then there is all the rest of the parts and electrical, computor and more, may be cheaper to buy a newer coyote with the car included and have both..
Hopefully someone chimes in with a few more details on the actual practicality of the swap..
Mudman.

#4 ·
I'm with you too. I love the 05-09 body style. That would be sweet but you're talking about big bucks. To have this done you're probably approaching 20 grand if you're hiring everything out. So for most people that option is probably going to be out. I have heard that you can find used 5.0s from wrecked F1 50s fairly reasonable if you're going to tackle it yourself. The 150 ones have a few differences though.
In my opinion. Supercharge that 4.6 lightly and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#6 ·
So....how much money do you have to throw at this project.
Assuming you have a T5 as long as you don't put sticky tires on the car and try not to do burnouts the T5 should hold together although you should and probably at some future date will need a Tremec 5 or 6 speed.
Here is an article on putting a Coyote in an 04, which should be close to your 06.
This is not a project for someone who has little mechanical knowledge...if you've got $7/10k for someone else to do it then you are golden...IMHO

How to Install a Coyote 5.0L Engine on a New Edge Mustang

#8 ·
Hi Tman1020. I had thought of supercharging or turbo but I don't know what I'd have to do to the internals to make it work. I can't do the work myself because I broke my neck back in 98 and can't wrench or lift anything even moderately heavy so it would be hired out. I know turbo has lag whereas a supercharger doesn't and either of those options would provide me with enough power. But any ideas are welcome. When you see the price of things on American Muscle, or LMR and other sites, it's fine but it doesn't include install or any additional parts you might need. My budget is not unlimited, however, I'd rather put the money I'd pay for a newer Mustang that I didn't like the looks of into mine and make it exactly what I want. Because it's an 06 that's a daily driver I have around 82,000 on it so I'm not sure if I supercharged or turbo it, if there is work on the engine I should be looking at.

#19 ·
Just to be clear I'm no expert but I can tell you what I think. If I'm off base I'm sure someone will correct me. I like the roots style super chargers but that's just my personal taste. I feel that if installed and tuned properly can offer oem looks & reliability. They are often a bit more money than the Centrifugal style superchargers. But compared to a crate coyote swap it would be a major bargain.
I believe turbos are a viable option as well and I think are a little cheaper to purchase but I would think harder to tune but honestly I don't have a lot of experience with them. As others have posted here you should be able to install a supercharger and keep your boost to a reasonable level and run everything else completely stock.
then at that point if you still want more you could look into having your motor built with forged internals and a beefed up drive line and crank up the boost up. ?
It's not unreasonable to expect 100 to 150 hp increase with a supercharger on these cars. still on stock internals from what others say. That's like a 50% increase over stock. You're going to feel that. And honestly at that point I don't think a stock coyote would be touching you.
One thing to keep in mind though. Is if your car has had some internal motor work done to it like cams or something, that would be something that the person writing the tune for you will want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#10 ·
The reason I'm asking about the internals for supercharging or turbo for a 4.6 is because I was reading, I believe in a Mustang Monthly magazine, about a guy who supercharged his 06 Mustang and started to do other mods to it but wouldn't take it above 500 horse because of the weak internals. They didn't explain that so I'm not sure what to take away from the article.

#17 ·
To Recon. No there isn't a number I'm shooting for. I bought my mustang used and it sounds as if it has had some work done to it because of a distinct rumble. I hang around with a bunch of rodders and they all think there's been work done to it. But I've never looked into what and I was silly enough not to get the maintenance reports from the car lot I bought it from. I've had it since 2011 and have been really happy with it but just want more. I'm not a flat out 1/4 miler, but like get up and go and smoke them up once in a while. But I'm more of a 'show me a windy road and I'll always try and beat my best time so handling is more my issue. I just don't want to be beside some turbo'd 4 banger and have to push it to the limits just to beat them off the line. I realize that year after year cars are going to get more power but I'd rather it be a while before I get blown off the line by a 4.

#18 ·
You'll spend less money selling your car and picking up a low mileage 07-09 GT500 if you want power and like the 05-09 body style.

But if you are not mechanically inclined... You are going to spend WELL over what a real nice low mileage 11-14 costs to convert yours. I'd do the GT500. Hit up svtperformance.com forums and look for an 07-09 with some tasteful bolt ons and make sure the clutch has been done with at least a McCleod RST, preferably RXT.

Reactions: RoninS197
#20 ·
Problem with that is a bolt on and tune only coyote will pull the paint off the supercharged 3v you just described. It wouldn't even be close.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#21 ·
Personally I think you're in a "Catch 22" here.
I'm going to throw my hat into the ring now...although I have no experience with the 3V motor I do with the 4V motor. A few friends fooled around with the 3V when they first came out and I did with my DOHC Cobra until I broke it, then wished I had spent money on the internals rather than the Whipple. Everything being equal the DOHC and the 3V are pretty similar except for the steel crank and heads...and I think the 3V heads are very close to flowing the same as the 4V.
In your 3V the weak part is the cast crank, rods, weak pistons and hollow cams...you replace these with forged/billet parts and you are golden...how much N/A HP can you make with the 3V without huffing it...around 400 or a little over, just about the same as an early Coyote motor...if you put power adders to it you will have to address the heads...another expense.
With the Coyote motor you will need to buy about $1500 just in parts to make it run in your 06 plus a few other mod's...and because you can't do any of the work yourself you will need to find a shop that is good, honest, and can get the job done in a timely manner...plus pay them $80/100 per hour to do it.
Personally, if you love your car so much...I'd go out and find an 06 4.6l truck motor...buy it for $400 and start to have it rebuilt...a little at a time as you pocket book will allow...when it's finished all you will have to do is have the old one pulled out, and the new one put it...have it tuned and you are set.
Oh, when I put the Whipple on my Cobra I wanted to break into the 11's...I did at the cost of three broken pistons...I broke the ring lands at 12psi...on stock rods and pistons...that cost me $$$$.

One last comment...opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one...even mine.

#22 ·
400hp is not even close to the breaking point of a Coyote, try more like 600-650.

3V heads do flow pretty close to 4V but the 4V heads are better, even B heads.

Cast crank from a 2V/3V/some 4Vs is not a weak point, lots of ppl actually do pretty high power builds with the cast crank. Its lighter, can rev higher and usually you can get one for free or damn near and the supply of them is basically limitless.

05-09 3V cars, IMO, should get gears, hot cams, suspension, tune and enjoy. If you want a little more for the track throw a 125 shot into it. After that... you will be into it for way more money building the 3V with a power adder than you would selling it and buying a 07-09 GT500 (if you love that body style) or a 11-14 GT. If you absolutely HAVE to have the 05-09 GT look then recommend you find a V6 with a solid body and blown up drivetrain for cheap and a wrecked Coyote and swap everything and put on a GT front/GT500 rear bumper.

#24 ·
^ agreed. These 3vs are fun with full bolt ons for what they are.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No argument guys...just trying to give the OP some suggestions. Spending thousands of dollars to put a 5.0l into an 06 is going to be very, very expensive and since he can't do the work himself it's going to cost even more. He only wants around 400HP and you can get that from a 3V.
Maybe one of you would volunteer to help him with the project? If I were closer I'd help a fellow Mustang owner.
The last thing...just because someone runs and jumps off a cliff doesn't mean you have to also...thousands of people build motors without much thought to longevity or reliability...kind of like a unexploded bomb...it could go off tomorrow or maybe never but why take the chance...never broken a motor in over 40 years of racing and even ran a low 10 sec high 9 sec drag car for over 6 seasons without any teardown...I built the motor myself...just saying...

#26 ·
That is the main reason I suggested owning two cars, the one he owns now for enjoyable everyday use with the body style he likes then as mentioned the GT500, can't go wrong with that and cost would be slightly more for the GT500 than the build but car is complete and built by Ford to handle the hp and abuse.Be a whole lot of other upgrades besides a coyote to make to get close to a super car GT500
Mudman.

#50 ·
You can get a mint 07-09 for mid-high 20s with low miles. Most certainly will not be even close to coyote swap money when you factor in the cost of his car and labor.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#27 ·
supercharger or new engine

I have an 06 as well. same here , I love the body style . It,s funny , I was just looking at those same crate engines last night and pondering "what if". I had the roush m90 supercharger installed on my car at around 15,000 miles. I now have 111,000 miles on her and she still runs great (and fast). with a few other mods and a bama tune , I am kinda maxed out at 500hp (400rwhp). which is fine for me. with the newer superchargers they have these days, you can really make your stock engine scoot for about a third of the price of installing a new engine. but 500 hp is about max. when my motor finally takes a dive, I will definitely be considering installing that coyote though

#29 ·
yes! I was looking at those as well . tvs makes the m90 upgrade kit .uses a lot of the same m90 setup to reduce the cost. it's about $3600. I can build up my little 4.6 a bit and be just fine with that. I still get 22_26mpg on the highway and 19-20mpg in town with my current set up. I'm not complaining about that at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.