Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What Mods?

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  hfca 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a 2007 GT w/ 11,500 miles. I would like to know what mods to do for a little better throttle response/idle return. I am not a gear head and not interested in mpg or HP. I've read to start with a CAI/tune combo but that is just a little out of my budget. Would I notice any difference by putting a K&N filter in the stock box...maybe drilling a couple obscure holes in it also...? I don't like the open look of the aftermarket CAI....and i don't really want to spend over $400.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Found a SCT Flashx4 on ebay for $300. Same as Bama right? Trying to learn as much as i can before i buy it. I keep reading about getting more HP, gas mileage, torque.....again none of those are the issue.

All i got from the sticky thread was that any CAI worth having over stock would require a tune anyway...also that CAI will make it louder....don't want that....and that a CAI adds 'bling' which i don't understand as it mounts under the hood. I always drive with the hood down. ('.')

Attachments

#14 ·
IMHO... Buy the Bama Tuner with free tunes...I believe you are looking to decrease the "drive by wire" delay... and that needs to be written into the tune. You also may decide to upgrade with some new parts down the road, and you'll save on getting a new tune written at some point in the future. I just purchased a Bama tuner, and I requested "No throttle delay", they sent me a tune and said they could adjust it more if I wanted to.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks FangStang...I don't know why, maybe just because i'm getting used to the car or the change to warmer weather but it seems less noticeable lately.
BUT....if any improvements in throttle response or slightly throatier sound or a gain of 3-8 rwhp are to be had from just a tuner then that would be more than enough to justify buying the tuner in my opinion as from what I understanding can also use it as a code reader/diagnostic unit.

Looks like I'm going with the Bama tuner.....

Attachments

#16 ·
#17 · (Edited)
Update:
Everyone hates a thread that drops dead without a follow up so...

I get the tuner and plug into the car, says 87per and 87race. Dang...i ordered 87per and 93 race. Well..... I flash with the 87per and piss..you can't adjust tune settings. So i flash it anyway and go for a drive...idle is too low for my taste and no change otherwise.........damn. I bummed....dejected.

So......i call a tech.:D He tells me that one of the tunes was mislabeled and that he is sending me an email with the corrected 89per/93race adjustable tunes.

....(here's where i have to give kudos to the tech team:thumb: as they sent me an email with the corrected tunes and were able to do the necessary updates to my computer that hadn't been turned on in a year('.') and get the tunes on the tuner for me. All by remote control of my pc.)

So... i flash again while bringing the idle setting up a little. Boom!.... .completely new car. Without leaving the driveway and immediately upon startup i can tell the throttle is more crisp, on the highway ..revs between shifts don't seem to hang and acceleration doesn't feel lag or throttle feel gummy. It's now more.... crisp..sharp.. responsive....3rd gear heading for 4000rpm Oh la la. Strangely even getting out of 1st gear at the red light in town is now easier with no tendency to bog or lurch.
Horsepower? I don't know..20ft lb? But more importantly offered evenly with an all around better feel/sharper response.
All i all....exactly what i was hoping for.

Attachments

#21 ·
Update:
Everyone hates a thread that drops dead without a follow up so...

I get the tuner and plug into the car, says 87per and 87race. Dang...i ordered 87per and 93 race. Well..... I flash with the 87per and piss..you can't adjust tune settings. So i flash it anyway and go for a drive...idle is too low for my taste and no change otherwise.........damn. I bummed....dejected.

So......i call a tech.:D He tells me that one of the tunes was mislabeled and that he is sending me an email with the corrected 89per/93race adjustable tunes.

....(here's where i have to give kudos to the tech team:thumb: as they sent me an email with the corrected tunes and were able to do the necessary updates to my computer that hadn't been turned on in a year('.') and get the tunes on the tuner for me. All by remote control of my pc.)

So... i flash again while bringing the idle setting up a little. Boom!.... .completely new car. Without leaving the driveway and immediately upon startup i can tell the throttle is more crisp, on the highway ..revs between shifts don't seem to hang and acceleration doesn't feel lag or throttle feel gummy. It's now more.... crisp..sharp.. responsive....3rd gear heading for 5,000rpm Oh la la. Strangely even getting out of 1st gear at the red light in town is now easier with no tendency to bog or lurch.
Horsepower? I don't know..20ft lb? But more importantly offered evenly with an all around better feel/sharper response.
All i all....exactly what i was hoping for.

I knew that tune was what you were looking for. Try the 93 race tune next. Wow

Good people over at Bama!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.