Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Throttle stuck

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dino Dino Bambino 
#1 ·
I am a first time mustang owner and I am very happy. 07 GT/CS.
But today heading to work I almost peed my pants. I went to pass someone and did not mash the peddle but pushed down and the throttle stayed wide open. I pushed the clutch in and almost red lined, so i turned key off and pulled over. I tried to restart and rpms were 5000+, so i sat for 3 mins or so and then tried once more. started up with no other issues. is this a common issue?

#2 ·
I have not heard of any instances of that happening to any Mustangs. It is not a common problem, but the potential for it to happen is certainly there, being a "fly-by-wire" throttle system.
It would be interesting to find out if there is a diagnostic trouble code related to the incident.

#4 ·
Barring the floor mat causing the accelerator pedal to not release, I would think that the throttle body is the most likely suspect. I believe that it is common for the return spring to become detached, but the built in failsafe causes the throttle body to go to idle, and it will no longer function until it is repaired.
I would definitely scan for any trouble codes.

#7 ·
Barring the floor mat causing the accelerator pedal to not release, I would think that the throttle body is the most likely suspect. I believe that it is common for the return spring to become detached, but the built in failsafe causes the throttle body to go to idle, and it will no longer function until it is repaired.
I would definitely scan for any trouble codes.
Agree with above ^^^^ Could also be caused by carbon/dirt buildup in the TB "jamming" the TB plate

#6 ·
I am a first time mustang owner and I am very happy. 07 GT/CS.
But today heading to work I almost peed my pants. I went to pass someone and did not mash the peddle but pushed down and the throttle stayed wide open. I pushed the clutch in and almost red lined, so i turned key off and pulled over. I tried to restart and rpms were 5000+, so i sat for 3 mins or so and then tried once more. started up with no other issues. is this a common issue?
Yes it seems this is becoming a very common issue. I have searched many threads and some posts with as many as 20 mustangs owners with the same scary throttle problem. Mine is definitely not a floor mat. Its electronic. The error code disappears as soon as you restart the car and so intermittent it hasn't been duplicated in a shop that I have heard of. Many, many accidents and no doubt deaths. Ford denies all and has entered into battles with insurance companies because it is so hard to prove, yet it does happen and the same story over and over again. ONE WOULD THINK FORD WOULD AT LEAST " LEAK" THE FIX INTO FORUMS.

#8 ·
After many more hours of research I realize my problem, which sounds the same, is a failing sensor in the "Drive - by- wire " system. My 08 does not go into limp mode like it should. That fail safe is just not kicking in as in some other cases doesn't. My throttle body is clean. It is most likely the TPS sensor failing, either electronically or mechanically ( the nylon gears in it could have worn or missing teeth, leaving a dead spot) which intermittantly leaves the throttle wide open, and unable to engage to return to closed. If not TPS, then next up would be the APP sensors. Else it could also be the throttle body motor failing. Either way I will be ordering a new TPS sensor in the morning. I have taken it into several shops, but without an error code they can't help. It so sucks to have the pedal to the metal in a parking lot, in traffic or passing on the highway and the throttle gets stuck WIDE OPEN with only one recourse -- turn the ignition off . brake and coast to saftey. Shut it off completely, put it in Park. It will normally start normally on the 1st or 2nd try.

#10 ·
Thank you Dino. Does this mean I need a whole new throttle body or can you buy just the motor ? I would hope the mechanic would do an inspection of the TPS as well. The metal drive gear on the motor engages plastic or nylon gears in the TPS, albeit a resistor but does have moving gears in it. I just don't want to start replacing part after part until I get the correct one. I appreciate and value your input. Thank you.

Thanks Dino. It seems the video I was watching was not the tps. I must have miss heard or miss understood which has caused great confusion. It had to have been the throttle body motor assembly. Thanks to you I think I understand now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.