Mustang Evolution Forum banner

06 GT only 1700 miles on oil, change or not?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Top Down 
#1 ·
Had it almost a year, don't drive much, oil and filter new when I got it, oil looks perfect, I did buy a Ford filter, and thinking about a semi synthetic 5/20, do I really need to change it?:cool:

#2 ·
I would. Motorcraft oil and filter are like $25 for the amount you need from Wal Mart or Amazon. Most ppl who don't drive the cars much change the oil once a year, right before it goes into winter storage. You always want clean brand new oil in it before storage.

#6 ·
i do 3000 or every 3 months,which ever comes first and always store mine for the winter with fresh oil.i would do oil change if i were you.a good synthetic blend of oil would be good if you stick to these intervals and i always go with a good oil filter like wix or napa gold (wix brand).gotta keep the blood fresh in the stang to keep er runnin for good long time.

#7 ·
It took me awhile, but I finally realized that the days of 3 month/3000 miles oil changes are long gone. No, it won't hurt anything to change at that short of an interval, but it is by no means necessary, or cost effective, especially using synthetic. Most now say not to exceed 10,000 miles or 12 months. Synthetic blend is a marketing gimmick. You might as well use conventional. The "blend" could be 1% synthetic/99% conventional. Go either full synthetic or full conventional. To each his own, though. If you want to change yours that often, go ahead. But following the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule is the key to keeping your vehicle running for a long time. The ol "oil change interval" debate continues.... :lol:

#9 ·
change that oil

If you are driving it everyday for short trips, that is considered extreme duty for the purpose of scheduling oil change intervals. Short trip driving, in which the engine never reaches its proper operating temperature, can cause condensation of water inside the crankcase and dilution of the oil by gasoline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.