Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Trunk Release

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rogcat1 
#1 · (Edited)
I am attempting to install a push button Sharkey trunk release in my 2007 GT. Unfortunately the wiring color code was not standard for 2007 and 2008 GTs. Has anyone installed this in their 2007, and what was the color code of the wire along the passenger side used to install. Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
Lol
It doesn't look like anyone has installed a trunk release on their car.

I would search around near the trunk lid latching mechanism, and see if you can find an electrical connector nearby, that looks like it may be for the trunk release.
I was sort of under the impression that all of the Mustangs had a trunk release installed from the factory. On the New Edge Mustangs, the button is hidden away inside of the glovebox, and many people dont realize that it is there.
I guess that the standard, non-premium cars did not come equipped with one?
For the release to work, there will need to be an electric solenoid attached to the mechanism to pop the latch open.

#6 ·
My GT is a premium and has the trunk release on the fob, however, I don't always have the fob with me, and thought this would be a great solution. Little did I know that I will probably have to go into the smart box, look for connector C2280C and find pin 21 to determine the wire color code. Was hoping to find a less labor intensive solution.

#8 ·
I installed the remote trunk release on my 2007, following the instructions on the American Muscle page:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-trunk-release-0509-cust-install.html

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the wires are not standard. Mine matched exactly to the how-to. I did not buy the kit, but just a button on Amazon and wired it myself. With a quick Google search, I found multiple videos and webpages that may be helpful.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.