Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Transmission..?

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, here my prob. I have a 2006 4.6L, 5-speed, and idle is fine, startup is fine, but as soon as I throw it in 3rd on up, I hear a whining noise coming from underneath the car. It gets louder the faster the car goes and I dunno where it's coming from. I'm assuming it's the trans but could possibly be the exhaust? Also, sometimes I do hear grinding noises when I let off the gas. Explanations? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#8 ·
It would likely be the input bearing encased within the transmission. They generally do not fail unless the trans has been low on fluid, or the car has been driven extremely hard.

However, it is a human made part, and it can fail due to a flaw or natural wear.

#9 ·
It could be the transmission... Or possibly a problem with the pinion gear/bearing in the rear end.
The easiest way to find out exactly what is causing the noise, is to put the car on a lift, and duplicate the conditions that the noise occurs with the wheels spinning safely in the air. That way someone can get under the vehicle with a stethoscope and listen for the noise.

#10 ·
Its most likely the trans. Get a rebuilt one and install it or have it installed. Pricey but its a 100k+ mile fix. A fresh 3650 is a very VERY strong trans properly maintained.

#15 ·
Well if you have another car or can borrow a truck dropping a solid axle is easy. Take it to a shop to have it rebuilt with a new diff and good time to do gears lol.

#17 ·
Do BMR upper control arm/bracket and lower control arms/relocation brackets while you are in there. And some good springs and adjustable BMR panhard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.