TraK Pak Wing Adjustment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Region: Connecticut
TraK Pak Wing Adjustment

Can anybody possibly help me out with whether the adjustments that are available for this wing actually make that much of a difference on the street compared to the track?
I'd like to get as much down Force as possible seems like the tires break loose on this thing when I sneeze, and it has 345's on the rear. They are Nitto Invo's, not sure if that makes a big difference I know nothing about tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171004_210649.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	816.0 KB
ID:	244634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171004_210621.jpg
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	244642  

Name:	20171004_210523.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	823.0 KB
ID:	244650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171004_210442.jpg
Size:	900.2 KB
ID:	244658  

ralfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
It is a functional wing. At one point in time I knew what the downforce specs were but I've since forgotten them.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What are you trying to accomplish with this wing? When and or where are you trying to achieve grip?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
What are you trying to accomplish with this wing? When and or where are you trying to achieve grip?
oltwings, not knowing the adjustability of the wing and what one position does over the other I was looking for any insight on it in general, But to answer your question, I would rather have it adjusted to give me any low speed grip help, at the moment this is just for driving on the back Country Roads don't know what speed the wing even helps at but I don't find myself going over 100 hardly for very long and was more interested if it has the capacity to help on Corners at 70 or 80 on average. If the wing only is beneficial at speeds over 100 the conversations a mute point.
I will be going to Lime Rock Park in Lakeville Connecticut in April for a track day I don't know what advice you would say about that but if you have any much appreciated.
Also, I guess if anything I just wanted to make sure I wasn't lifting the rear end compared to pushing it down.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfano View Post
oltwings, not knowing the adjustability of the wing and what one position does over the other I was looking for any insight on it in general, But to answer your question, I would rather have it adjusted to give me any low speed grip help, at the moment this is just for driving on the back Country Roads don't know what speed the wing even helps at but I don't find myself going over 100 hardly for very long and was more interested if it has the capacity to help on Corners at 70 or 80 on average. If the wing only is beneficial at speeds over 100 the conversations a mute point.
I will be going to Lime Rock Park in Lakeville Connecticut in April for a track day I don't know what advice you would say about that but if you have any much appreciated.
Also, I guess if anything I just wanted to make sure I wasn't lifting the rear end compared to pushing it down.

A flat wing has low angle of attack, the more angled the wing is the higher the angle of attack.

More angle of attack will create more downforce, and will also create it at a lower speed. However, you have to realize that this essentially acts as a lever on the vehicle. Introducing a large amount of downforce in the rear can cause the nose to raise and you'll lose grip in the front. The increased aero load can also cause the rear suspension to bottom out if it's not stiff enough to keep up.

Personally, if you're wanting to improve handling at those speeds i would sell the wing and buy a stiffer front sway bar. That would make the car less likely to understeer and should make it more neutral in a corner. As it sits now, if you dial in too much wing, i feel you're just going to introduce understeer.

A wing really isnt going to help much with spinning tires, i'd look more into suspension and tuning to help with that.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
A flat wing has low angle of attack, the more angled the wing is the higher the angle of attack.

More angle of attack will create more downforce, and will also create it at a lower speed. However, you have to realize that this essentially acts as a lever on the vehicle. Introducing a large amount of downforce in the rear can cause the nose to raise and you'll lose grip in the front. The increased aero load can also cause the rear suspension to bottom out if it's not stiff enough to keep up.

Personally, if you're wanting to improve handling at those speeds i would sell the wing and buy a stiffer front sway bar. That would make the car less likely to understeer and should make it more neutral in a corner. As it sits now, if you dial in too much wing, i feel you're just going to introduce understeer.

A wing really isn't going to help much with spinning tires, i'd look more into suspension and tuning to help with that.
Hmmm, much to consider, thanks.
I have been bottoming out, it seemed odd to me, considering Roush said they lowered the car an inch from factory settings.
That's why I at least wanted to try and raise it some on the other post I just started.
I'll have to look into the wing removal, it's a big mount and guessing drilled through trunk....
Old 10-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have lower control arm relocation brackets? Lowering the car and not relocating the control arm mounting point will pull weight OFF the axle when you get on the gas. That could be a big part of your wheel spin problem.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
TraK Pak Wing Adjustment

To my knowledge the only 3V Roush with upgraded lower control arms is the Drag Pak. The Trak Pak should have stock GT lower control arm system.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Do you have lower control arm relocation brackets? Lowering the car and not relocating the control arm mounting point will pull weight OFF the axle when you get on the gas. That could be a big part of your wheel spin problem.
The car has many upgrades which I'm slowly figuring out, the guy I bought it from knew nothing about the cars past history.
Has Steeda lower control arms and a Steeda Watts Link System.
And someone who saw these pictures said the rear axle tubes are not stock, any comment on those?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171010_173636.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	246010   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171010_173530.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	246018  

Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
To my knowledge the only 3V Roush with upgraded lower control arms is the Drag Pak. The Trak Pak should have stock GT lower control arm system.

Pick your poison.
Posted some pics in above post.
(didn't know how to include your quote with that one)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The axle tubes appear stock to me, it seems they just cleaned it up and actually welded the Watts link in place. If the axle tubes are in fact stock, then it appears you do NOT have lower control arm relocation brackets. That is your problem, a lowered vehicle with no relocation brackets pulls weight off the rear axle on acceleration.

There are many good brands, but personally i like the BMR. Do some reading on lower control arm relocation brackets and pick the set you feel works best for you. Shouldnt be more than like $150 and an afternoon of wrenching.

Assuming my perspective is off, an easy way to check if you do need relocation brackets is to check the orientation of the lower control arms. At ride height, on level ground, they should either be parallel with the ground or have a slight incline downward towards the rear of the car. If the front of the control arm (mounted on the body) is lower than the rear mounting point (on the axle) then you need brackets.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
The axle tubes appear stock to me, it seems they just cleaned it up and actually welded the Watts link in place. If the axle tubes are in fact stock, then it appears you do NOT have lower control arm relocation brackets. That is your problem, a lowered vehicle with no relocation brackets pulls weight off the rear axle on acceleration.

There are many good brands, but personally i like the BMR. Do some reading on lower control arm relocation brackets and pick the set you feel works best for you. Shouldnt be more than like $150 and an afternoon of wrenching.

Assuming my perspective is off, an easy way to check if you do need relocation brackets is to check the orientation of the lower control arms. At ride height, on level ground, they should either be parallel with the ground or have a slight incline downward towards the rear of the car. If the front of the control arm (mounted on the body) is lower than the rear mounting point (on the axle) then you need brackets.
Wow! Yes the front of my control arms are much lower than the rear.
How does it get that way? Was the car lowered that much that it reversed the angle?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfano View Post
Wow! Yes the front of my control arms are much lower than the rear.
How does it get that way? Was the car lowered that much that it reversed the angle?
Any amount of lowering causes the need for relocation brackets. It's not a super big deal and isn't hurting anything now other than traction, but i would imagine you'll notice a fair increase in grip when you install a set.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT