Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Engine start problem

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  angrymike1 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2005 GT two weeks ago. The car has 61500 miles on it. When I first drove the car with the previous owner, he told me to go very easy until it warmed up, as apparently there was an intermittent issue of it not running properly until warmed up. In the two weeks I've had the car, the only thing I noticed was one time upon start, there was a little smoke from the exhaust. Otherwise, it started and ran just fine. The only mod to this car is a cold air intake and Ford Racing exhaust.

I had the oil changed and a general 60k mile inspection done at the dealer last week and everything checked out normal.

Today I went to start it and it fired up, partially, then died. I restarted and it barely fired up and died again, emitting big puffs of smoke from the exhaust. Several more attempts yielded the same thing and it just would not fire up. Also smelled like it might have been getting too much fuel. I let it sit for 5 minutes and tried again with final success, although before it started firing on all cylinders I thought it would stall again.

It now appears to be running ok but I'm not sure this won't happen again. My only recourse is to probably take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

Any insights or suggestions? Thanks much.

Warren

See less See more
#3 ·
Get rid of that CAI, very likely the culprit. It does nothing for performance anyway. Go back to stock.

Your issue is all the classic signs of what happens when you install a CAI on these cars and don't do a tune for it.

And again, the CAI is doing ZERO for your power and its probably slower right now if its having these issues.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe the CAI might have something to do with it. Previous owner installed it and I don't think he had the car tuned for it. I thought about getting a tuner but I'm not well versed in such things and I would hate to mess with the factory settings and screw something up. I would assume that tuners are not idiot proof but I'd consider getting one if it was simple to program, and easy to find the optimum setting for the amount of air introduced.

#7 ·
Buy a cheap code scanner on amazon or wherever. Everyone with a vehicle should have one especially with how cheap you can get them.

And loading a tune is pretty idiot proof but I've seen some really ridiculous stuff... and not just in cars... guy blew up a $1m+ strut at work last week and that system is as "army proof" as possible. Dude found a way...

Ebay or post a want ad on one of the big forums for a stock GT airbox/maf assembly from your year. I got one for my car complete for $170 shipped full OEM and in mint condition and the 99/01/Mach 4V setup I was after is a lot rarer than a 3V GT inlet setup...

#9 ·
CEL doesn't come on for all codes either. What the OP is describing is CLASSIC install of a CAI that is supposed to be "no tune required" and sucks or without a tune. My buddy did this for his 04 GT which SHOULD be able to do it without a tune but I'd say about once or twice a week he'd start it and it'd run rough AF and black smoke. Trashed the CAI and put the stock inlet back on and it never happened again and ran a lot better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.